Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 08:10:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which motor do I have  (Read 2427 times)
cody

« on: May 31, 2007, 06:31:16 AM »

Ok, guys, time for a dumb question, I got woke up this morning by an air horn in my yard, a friend stopped in from Minnisota with his eagle, he's got a 1981 model 10, same year as mine.  We went out for breakfast and I drove his back, his is a dog, a huge amount of difference in the power, mine is a race car compared to his so we looked at the motors, both 6V's with auto's but I have 2 turbo's and he has 1. I'm wondering if there is a plate somewhere to tell me if I have a 6V92 or what it is and how do I tell, he thinks mine has been repowered cause he has the original motor in his but with only 1 turbo, I know very little about motors but I'm learning slowly.
cody

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 06:33:19 AM »

On a side note, do I get an award for the dumbest question so far this year? lol
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:18:13 AM »

Cody -

Only dumb question is the one that hasn't been asked yet. . .

With the engine shut off, open the engine compartment and look at your motor.  On the RH side facing you should be a "cam pulley".  There should be cast into the pulley the number and letter of the basic engine - 6V-92, 8V-92, 8V-71, etc.

Twin turbos?  Does each cylinder bank feed a separate turbo?  If so, somebody's "hot rodded" your powertrain.  Your buddy's sounds stock.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
cody

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:15:46 AM »

I just looked at the pulley, can't really see it all that good cause it's hidden somewhat behind some stuff, don't see any markings on it but its a 6V, has 3 exhaust tubes on the header on the right side.
cody

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:39:55 AM »

One thing I learned is the motor needs a good steam cleaning, I wiped down a part of the front and it's painted red if that helps lol.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 08:56:16 AM »

Pictures might help .  .   .    .

Twin turbos, that's cool  Grin

Rode in a twin turbo'd 300Z once, WOW! still brings a smile  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
cody

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 09:19:56 AM »

Here is a pic of the turbo setup on mine.
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 09:26:48 AM »

Cody,

Maybe I'm missing something because the picture is so small, but I only see one turbo.

That consists of the exhaust side (brown rusty part) and the claen air part (clean part).

See if you can get to the serial number on the engine and post it here.

Dallas
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 09:53:02 AM »

Dallas, click on the little green paper clip. This will open it up so that you can enlarge it using the scroll wheel of your mouse. I use MGI photo suite to open.
Richard

Cody,

Maybe I'm missing something because the picture is so small, but I only see one turbo.

That consists of the exhaust side (brown rusty part) and the claen air part (clean part).

See if you can get to the serial number on the engine and post it here.

Dallas
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:23:09 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »

Dallas you are not missing anything that a 1 tubro engine if it 2 it would 1 on the right and 1 on the left
bus05eagle

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 10:08:55 AM »

looks like a rear mounted turbo on a 6v92
cody

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »

ok I must have a single turbo, got confused here (normal for me) cause my friend only has one that is on the air intake tube, and geeze, I thought I had something special lol.  The only plate I can find is a small one partially hidded on the back of the motor above the tranny and I can't get far enough in there to read it.  Give me   a piece of wood and I'll tell you everything about it, give me a piece of metal and all I know it that it will sink in water most of the time lol. One thing I do know is that my bus is a lot quicker than his lol.
cody

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »

Wish I had taken a pic of his before he headed out.
cody

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 10:40:09 AM »

The fog may be lifting a little, I crawled as far in as I could, the plate says 6V92 and has a couple of letters after it that I can't make out, does that sound about right for my bus?  Any info on hp, or what to expect? Has been a great bus so far and hopefully will continue to be.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »

The fog may be lifting a little, I crawled as far in as I could, the plate says 6V92 and has a couple of letters after it that I can't make out, does that sound about right for my bus?  Any info on hp, or what to expect? Has been a great bus so far and hopefully will continue to be.
Probably 6V92TA  (Turbo with Aftercooler).  Your buddy probably has a 6V92T (no aftercooler).  You may also have different transmission and/or rear end that gives you stronger acceleration.  For example, from a stop my RTS with 6V92TA with city gears will flat blow away a bus of similar weight and power with highway gears  Cool .  However, I have a top end just over 60mph.  Once the other bus gets rolling it will overtake and leave me in the dust when it hits 75+.  Sad
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: