Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 10:06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which motor do I have  (Read 2416 times)
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »

The fog may be lifting a little, I crawled as far in as I could, the plate says 6V92 and has a couple of letters after it that I can't make out, does that sound about right for my bus?  Any info on hp, or what to expect? Has been a great bus so far and hopefully will continue to be.
Probably 6V92TA  (Turbo with Aftercooler).  Your buddy probably has a 6V92T (no aftercooler).  You may also have different transmission and/or rear end that gives you stronger acceleration.  For example, from a stop my RTS with 6V92TA with city gears will flat blow away a bus of similar weight and power with highway gears  Cool .  However, I have a top end just over 60mph.  Once the other bus gets rolling it will overtake and leave me in the dust when it hits 75+.  Sad
Yup, thats the Tradeoff, I like the 75 and 10 mpg, better than, more off the line power..  Grin
its aslug from a stop but it Go'ss out on the highway..  Roll Eyes
Paul..

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
cody

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 04:46:53 PM »

I was very surprised at the overall performance of mine compared to his tho, his seemed to be underpowered not only on take off but on the hills too, might be the gearing or maybe the choice of injectors, not sure but mine is much quicker off the line and will cruise at 75 without a hesitation.  One thing I really liked about his is the basement air, makes for a very clean roof line.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 05:15:21 PM »

I was very surprised at the overall performance of mine compared to his tho, his seemed to be underpowered not only on take off but on the hills too, might be the gearing or maybe the choice of injectors, not sure but mine is much quicker off the line and will cruise at 75 without a hesitation.  One thing I really liked about his is the basement air, makes for a very clean roof line.
If your bus cruises at 75, it definitely doesn't have city gears.  But there are still many variables that could effect his accelleration and hill climbing compared to yours.
  • First, we don't know whether your bus has been hot rodded or if your friends is lagging.  To know that, we would have to know how one of the busses performed compared to others.  Injector choices would certainly make a difference.
  • Total weight could be a factor.  You mentioned them being the same model, but there could be a huge difference in weight depending on conversion choices (batteries, generator, tank sizes and fill status, appliances, interior structure, etc.)
  • Engine health would make a difference.
  • Transmission gearing.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 05:38:06 PM »

As Hightechredneck said?

gearing, engine health and Curb Wt are your likely variables......oh and tire size too.
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 06:29:58 PM »

Here is a link for some V 92 engine info, straight from Muddog 16's blog.

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/literature/detroit_diesel/v92_model_chart.htm

HTH, Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »

Dallas I'm with you! I only see 1 turbo! Richard thanks for the tip on enlarging the pic! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: