Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 01:40:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 60 11.1 liter engines - Opinions?  (Read 2743 times)
coachconverter

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »

Anyone heard especially good or bad opinions on the Series 60 11.1 liter engines? 
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 03:08:36 AM »

In a nut shell, it is a 12.7 with a different crank (shorter throws) and connecting rods.  Otherwise the same.  I believe you can get 430hp and 1450lb/ft out of it.  Plenty of power.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:07:08 AM »

In a nut shell, it is a 12.7 with a different crank (shorter throws) and connecting rods.  Otherwise the same.  I believe you can get 430hp and 1450lb/ft out of it.  Plenty of power.  Good Luck, TomC

How the heck do you get 430HP out of an 11.1L Series 60?  Do you convert it to a 12.7L or something?  My 11.1L is 350HP and a little more HP can generally never hurt.

Brian Elfert
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 05:24:09 PM »

Brian it's done mostly with the computer programing and a set of larger injectors if I remember correctly! I been fooling around with these ol' two strokes too much since I got away from trucking and have forgten what I knew about those modern day computerized wonders! LOL Knuckle!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Hal

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:22:09 PM »

Good motors if you don't need any more than 350 hp. Aren't made anymore but are supported by Detroit. There was supposed to be a program out to boost them to 400 hp but don't think it ever got any traction. If you are starting from scratch I wouldn't consider anything other than a 12.7 or early (non egr) 14ltr. Just my .02 cents worth. Hal
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:14:36 PM by Hal » Logged
Sojourner

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 08:18:26 AM »

To begin with…DD 60 series 11.1 liter was in production before 12.7 which has over ¾ inch longer stroke for more low-end torque.

There been much internal improvement changes for reliability as well better fuel economy.

I too want later to update powering Sojourner so I have check around with DD mechanic that been there since the beginning of series 60. They told me numerous small problems that had to replace with up-date parts. By the way there is narrow & wide type rod’s bearing for both liter versions. All later versions are wide bearing. If I remember him correctly, that early version had rocker’s roller breaking that made of ceramic. That was one of example.

For the most engine for your dollar in today market…12.7 liter are getting highest reliability rating as far as mechanical aspect. Some over 1 million miles which is about 20% greater than others. So being said that mean most of class 8 truck are equips 12.7 series….results are plenty of them in large truck salvage or recycle yard. They usually price less than other brands.

Get serial number from inquire engine to ask full history at DD to help picking a good ones.

Whatever you choose…get full package such as matching computer system and the accessory that you can use.

Perhaps cheaper to buy whole wreck class 8 that came with undamaged aluminum wheel & tires, dash board with electronic screen and so on & e-bay the rest.

Keep this in mind…series 60 12.7 are lower RPM high torque engine than 71 or 92s. So try to go for higher speed (lower numeral ratio) rear drive pumpkin for using with 740 trans. Otherwise lower speed (higher numeral ratio) ones using with B-500 world trans (equips with two overdrive)….would be a…s w e e t…package for a price.

For freebie…low profile oil pan are...n o t...cheap. I’ll let someone more knowledgeable to answers bell-housing & flex-plate question to mate to 740 Trans.

Installed DD 60 into MCI-9
http://www.bernhardbus.com/60_series_MC9.htm

All of DD engine sizes except the latest 14 liter.
http://www.endurancepower.com/media/CATALOG_DET_WEB.pdf

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 08:49:00 AM by Sojourner » Logged
Hal

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:31:20 AM »

Not to be nit pichin' but the 12.7 WAS out first, the 11.1 came later. The motors' really have had a remarkable run with very few problems over the years. The 11.1 is the milage champ but the bigger HP models were no slouches either. When the DDEC III came out they went to a higher fuel pressure which led to the ceramic coated injector rocker to aid in longer cam and rocker life. All three engines have been rated @2110 rpm which really isn't a significant differance in rpm with the 2 strokes but these engines get their best milage below 1550 where the 2 strokes are somewhat happy at a little higher speeds. If you are planning a 4 stroke swap the addition of an overdrive or a gear in the 2.8 range is a must to get the advantages of the repower.
Good luck,Hal
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 03:39:36 AM »

Ahoy, BusNutz,

My first post on the new board

I have no detailed knowledge of the DD-60-11.1 engine, but I recall that it was the first (and perhaps still the only Huh)
vehicular diesel to achieve a specific fuel consumption of less than 0.300 lbs fuel / horsepower / hour.

Enjoy /s/ Bob 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: