Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 03:58:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toad  (Read 2324 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2006, 02:00:08 PM »

Where can I get a list of tow friendly vehicles. Need one and don't have a clue as to what my options are.Also would like to say wow! ( not really the word I'm thinking) those tow bars are expensive!!!! Didn't pay that much for some of the cars I've owned
     Any help?   Tucson

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
NCbob

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 02:19:59 PM »

Don't know how many kids you have or what ages, if any...but we have a 2005 Toyota Scion we pull (and drive the living hell out of) behind our MC5A.  You won't believe the room in that little car.  It looks like a premature Hummer3 but it weighs less that 3000#, so no brakes required.

I tow it behind an MC5A on a 10,000# Blue Ox tow bar (by the way it's standard shift) and I never know it's there.  I could be dragging it on it's roof and not know it.  Am buying a rear view camera and monitor and will install that before we go to FL for the winter.

But, the best thing about these neat little cars....they are only $15,000 right off the showroom floor and they're TOYOTA!

Need I say more?  Go try one on for size..I've had guys well over 6' and over 250# sit in it and tell me they don't believe it!  Grin Grin

You'll have more fun than you've had in years (outside a bedroom)!

NCbob
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »

Try these:

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/index.cfm

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/towing4wheelsdown/a/aa070601a.htm

IHTH

Dallas
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 03:15:43 PM »

Thanks guys, will check those out.Those Scions are so square I think I would paint the bottom yellow or something so I could tell on the camera if it was upside down or not .Cool little car though, will have to go drive one.

NCbob

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »

Ah, Ah, Ah,  let's not be that way.  The question was asked, yes, opinions were offered...but if you haven't driven one why would you want to cast aspersions at what I'm so happy with having for a 'toad'?

Have a cold beer...the girls alway look prettier at closing time....

NCbob
darrenayres

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »

I'm on my second Chevy S-10. My first was a '99 regular cab that I towed on a dolly. My current one is a '03 ext cab with a bed rug and fiberglass cap. I was told you couldn't tow a standard trans S-10 without a driveshaft disconnect. BARFNARKLES!! I put over 15K on my first truck and my son is still driving it with over 120,000 and I've got over 20K towed miles and 48K total on my second truck. The '03 has the Roadmaster tow bar and I tow it flat.

Darren
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 07:47:34 PM »

I pulled about 20K on my 91 explorer. had a remco disconnect on it. I found out after I'd installed it that it probably wasn't necessary.

We bought an 03 explorer last year and have pulled if about 16K already. It has an electronic neutral shift on it. Much better than the disconnect.

Debating what to do with the old 91. It needs a head gasket and the tranny is getting a bit hard to shift (synchros, I suspect). Pretty rusty and don't look purty, but it's only got 235K on it. Thinking about fixing the head gasket and driving it another 100K. Maybe I should just sell it to some busnut with more time than I. It's already set up to tow and is a great toad.

Hmmm...

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 08:16:05 PM »

Sorry Bob, meant no offense. I will look at the Scion. You gotta admit though they are very different looking. How are they on gas?  Bad news is my wife has been looking a little to hard at the new jeep commander.Found out today they will tow flat.I keep telling her its to big to tow but hard to sound creditable talking about to big when my favorite vehicle is hanging 5 feet outa the drive way
 Thanks for all the input guys   Tucson
         BTW   any of you ever towed a CJ 7, seems like up side down could realy happen there. Would suit my needs well if they not squirlly to tow?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 08:23:44 PM by tucsontattoo » Logged

Ross

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 05:37:22 AM »

Sorry Bob, meant no offense. I will look at the Scion. You gotta admit though they are very different looking. How are they on gas?  Bad news is my wife has been looking a little to hard at the new jeep commander.Found out today they will tow flat.I keep telling her its to big to tow but hard to sound creditable talking about to big when my favorite vehicle is hanging 5 feet outa the drive way
 Thanks for all the input guys   Tucson
         BTW   any of you ever towed a CJ 7, seems like up side down could realy happen there. Would suit my needs well if they not squirlly to tow?

I was told by both local jeep dealers that the new jeeps, '05 and up are not flat towable because they went to an electronic transfer case.  Mind you, I'm just going on what I was told.  I coudn't afford a brandy new Jeep anyway, so I didn't persue it.  Best thing to do is look at the manual for the car you want to buy.  If it's towable, there will be instructions for towing 4 down.  My Chrokee manual has specifics for towing behind an RV/Motorhome.

CJ's tow fine.  That was my first choice.  I test drove one back to the house to "test fit" the dog, but there was no way.  He's a tight fit in the Cherokee. 
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 05:56:10 AM »

Speaking from experience based upon ownership the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee IS towable all 4 down.  The trick is you have to have the Quadra Trac II or Quadra Drive II 4 wheel drive transfer cases.  The GC is not towable 4 wheels down without 4 wheel drive.  I have an 05 laredo with the Quadra Trac II and simply put the Jeep tows extremely well.  The only "gottcha" is you can't hack into the brake light system for use while towing.  You will need an external light bar or you will need to drill new holes in the light housing to hold a new light and socket.  I'm right now in the middle of creating my supplemental brake system for the Cherokee based upon using the bus air brake system.  Once I'm done and have tested the break away portion of the brake system I'll be all done with my multi-month project of setting up the bus to tow.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 07:01:08 AM »

I have a CJ7 that I have towed four down for years.

Easy tow and hookup.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: