Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:40:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need new converter  (Read 1726 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:20:07 AM »

Need to put a larger converter/charger on my bus. Currently have a Trace 2012sb (2000 watt)  Would like a 3000 watt or larger. Anyone know where to get a good deal on a new one?

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
belfert

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:27:44 AM »

I bought a Prosine 3000 refurbished from Sun Electronics www.sunelec.com.  $775 plus shipping.  New they cost about twice that much.  The is true sine wave, not MSW.  They have 12 volt or 24 volt same price.

Brian Elfert
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:08:31 AM »

Thanks, Checked out there site, Great prices!

belfert

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:06:48 AM »

I bought a Prosine 3000 refurbished from Sun Electronics www.sunelec.com.  $775 plus shipping.  New they cost about twice that much.  The is true sine wave, not MSW.  They have 12 volt or 24 volt same price.

I just checked the website and the price on the Prosine 3.0 (3000 watt) refurbished is back to $900.  I ordered mine two or three weeks ago when the price was at $775 for a few weeks.  Maybe you can call to see if they will still honor that price if you mention it.

Brian Elfert
Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »

Hey Guys, a converter changes 120 VAC to 12 VDC (usually); what you are talking about is an INVERTER. just FYI, no disrespect intended.
Dale

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
belfert

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 06:02:40 AM »

Hey Guys, a converter changes 120 VAC to 12 VDC (usually); what you are talking about is an INVERTER. just FYI, no disrespect intended.

I knew he meant an inverter instead of converter since he wanted 120 volt and he mentioned the model number of an inverter.  The Prosine 3.0 I recommended is an inverter.

Brian Elfert
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 07:18:45 AM »

Hope nobody takes offense at Dale's correction.

When I first got into buses, I didn't know the difference between an inverter and a converter. It was all very confusing to me as I'd never been exposed to either, and it took quite a bit of time for me to figure out what the difference was, and even more time to figure out which one's I needed for my bus.

I've come to realize that it's a whole lot better to use the proper terminology (if I know it), and respectfully offer corrections for the incorrect usage of terminology (when appropriate), so that everyone in a conversation (especially those who are new and trying to learn all this new stuff) is on the same wavelength. I try not to get offended when people correct me, because it probably means that I'm wrong and someone knows more about the subject than I do, and I take it as an opportunity to learn something I didn't know.

And in case there are some new people who still don't understand the difference, an inverter takes DC power from the batteries and changes it to 120 VAC power which is the same kind of power in your house. Many inverters also include a charger function which will take grid power (AC) and convert it to DC to charge the batteries to which it is connected.

A converter, in a bus conversion, typically converts one voltage level of DC to another voltage level of DC, as from 24 VDC to 12 VDC. There are also converters (more common in sticks and staples RVs) that take AC current off the grid and convert it to DC current in order to power the low voltage (e.g. 12 volt) lighting and appliances when plugged into shore power. It's not uncommon (traditional) for RVs and bus conversions to use only low voltage DC equipment, lighting and appliances, and not use 120 volt AC stuff at all.

And as usual, if I've misstated any of this, please feel free to correct me.

As for finding a good deal on a larger inverter, I'd recommend watching ebay. You can sometimes find good deals there. Camping world carries some decent units, and sometimes has sales on them. Online alternative energy stores also carry many brands and sizes, and sometimes will have rebuilt units. Do a search on some of the alternative energy forums on the internet for used units for sale.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 09:23:23 AM »

Right.   You convert ac to dc. You invert dc to make ac ( invert, as in turn over) a dc current only moves one direction.an inverter switches the positive and negative of the dc source 60 times a second (in our case) to make ac. There is allot more to it than this, this alone would give you a really bad sign wave. I dont type very fast so  sometimes I use converter sometimes inverter but never will I use inverter/converter/battery charger. wheu!!!!! since i have a trace 2012 I think I'll be changing them all,inverter/converter/battery charger for a bigger unit. ouuu,I like that!!!! unit, much easier to type. Gotta go now fingers very tired..

busboy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 12:58:32 PM »

I would check EBAY as it is the great equalizer of prices.  I know he wants an inverter but I recently bought a brand new 65amp converter on ebay way cheaper than I could get one from anywhere else...even my RV parts distributor when I was in the campground business.
Happy Trails,
Brent
Dallas

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 01:40:53 PM »

Thanks,
Craig, Brian, Tuscon, for helping new guys learn the ropes without trashing what they are asking.
All of us really appreciate the time you have taken to help teach and guide.

Dallas
From the MAK help team.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: