Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 08:25:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refrigerator  (Read 6141 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »

Looking at getting a 10 cuft apartment style frig for the coach.

This will be electric only frig.

Anyone else using this type?

Pro's, Cons, Regrets?

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 07:17:29 PM »

I don't remember if my frig is 10 cu ft, but it is definitely one of the smaller fidges out there.  I got it from Menards and it is a Heir brand without an electric defrost.  I was initially worried about compressor related issues due to running the fridge while going down the road, but have had no problems with it over the past 3 years and ~15,000 miles.  Good decision and MUCH cheaper than a high efficiency DC or 3 way norcold fridge.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:04:36 PM »

Hi Cliff,
As long as you camp in proper campgrounds or areas with power....no problem. It'll work without a hitch. However, you'll be running off your house battery bank any time your genset or the engine isn't running. Inverter will easily operate the small fridge. Just calculate your use-amps and size your battery bank to suit. You'll want a good quality inverter to operate a fridge...cheapo inverters will operate your appliances, but at a higher battery draw, and shorter liifespan...although this may be relatively unimportant in RV use. The fridge will be running off the inverter while driving.
I'm using a Dometic RV type 2 way..LP and 110. They are relatively expensive and a chore to install, but you can sit out in unpowered camping environment and forget it. LP is good. Still, if you generally use campgrounds, no problem with your plan. Home style fridges don't have any issues with smooth riding buses. Home fridge units require some airflow around them...don't box it in like an RV unit...or if you want it boxed, supply cooling air in some fashion to the coils. Needs to be very well attached to the bus.
If you're still planning to do Dallas' event, I'll see you there.
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:23:10 PM »

We have the same Heir fridge.  It has almost twice the space inside as the same size rv fridge and you don't have to cut all those holes in the side of your bus. If we are boondocking, I turn it off when we go to bed.  It will stay cold all night as long as the door isn't opened. That will save the batteries as little.  We usually run the generator going down the road for air conditioning so the fridge has no trouble running then. When we started looking at refigerators, I just couldn't see giving up the interior space for a dual power rv unit. Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:34:12 PM »

Cliff,
    I looked at lots of small 120 volt refrigerators and ended up with a 6.8 cu ft Avanti.  It has the lowest energy use other than the very pricey Sunfrosts.  I added 1 1/2" of polyiso foam board every where but the door and cut the energy use another 25%.  After insulating it I measured 19 watts average power consumption over a 24 hour test.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120 
belfert

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 05:25:38 AM »

I also bought a similiar Haier to Brian's. Menards was clearing out the frost-free ones recently as part of their spring appliance changes. I don't know if Menards will continue to carry any small double door frost free fridges or not. I can't tell you how it works as it is still sitting in my garage while the bus is stripped and converted.

I considered the Avanti, but the really efficient ones have a single door and I wanted a double door. I also didn't know where to get the Avanti. Haier also sells a single door that is a bit more efficient than the double door I got.

For my type of traveling, a slightly less efficient refigerator is fine. I'm not trying to boondock for days or weeks with no generator usage.

Edit: Opps.  I meant to say 'non frost-free'.  Mine is manual defrost and I don't know if Menards will carry a double door manual defrost frig any longer.

Brian Elfert
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:02:39 AM by belfert » Logged
Jerry W Campbell

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 08:10:07 AM »

I have a Magic Chef 10 cf. from Home Depot. It draws 1.3 amps at 110 V. In hot weather it uses about 100 amps at 12 V a day. We love it. The ice cream is hard and the beer is cold.
Good Luck
Jerry
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 08:36:36 AM »

I bought one of those cheap Korean refrigerators from Home Depot. It's about 10 cuft. They don't sell them anymore, as they have changed brands. I have to run the genny about 90 mins/day to keep the batts up when booning. No big deal. The fridge only costs about $200, much less than Dometic and more reliable.  4 years and 30K miles with no trouble.

The only thing I wish I could do is disconnect the defrost heater. This would save a lot. However, the wiriing is such I can't get to it without lots of effort, so I have given up on it. If you can do that it would be good.

David
Dallas

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 09:55:35 AM »

I have an old GE 12cu' fridge. I paid $50 for it at a flea market. It's been running for 2 years now, and I can run it off my inverter for about a day and a half without recharging the batteries. I had a 6 cu' Dometic but since I like to cook and have beer too, I needed something that would let me pop the milk, softdrinks, beer and groceries in without having to choose what to get warm. Plus my wife gets upset when she finds the soda and milk sitting on the counter and my ice cold beer in the fridge!
When it dies, I'll just go to another flea market and get another one.
Dallas
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 11:03:22 AM »

I plan to go with a smaller size in the bus.  I don't think there will be a problem.  They are much cheaper than the RV type.  If it goes south, buy another one...

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »

I have a nice stainless steel front/black sided Sanyo 10.5 apartment refer and even though it has the automatic defrost it uses very little little power.  I can go 2-3 days on 4- Grp 31 batteries and inverter.  I've been using it for 4 years.  Beer is always cold, the food stays frozen and the bus doesn't have to be level fo the refer to work.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 12:17:19 PM »

Wow!

Thanks for all the great replies. Grin

Maybe I will get it purchased and put in before I head to Dallas's shindig next week

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 12:57:19 PM »

Cliff,
When you get here, I'll pull out one of those nice, cold, icey brews for you.
Oh, and we may make the other guys wait just for S&G's
Dallas

Wow!

Thanks for all the great replies. Grin

Maybe I will get it purchased and put in before I head to Dallas's shindig next week

Cliff

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »

Dallas,

Hmmmmmmmmm, I can taste that cold beer already!

Of course you know its only because of my bodys natural deficiency Shocked of hops, yeast and barley malt
that I and others who are afflicted with this common problem Grin must reestablish our daily balance.

OK, what are S&G's. (I get it now) I know i'm going to go "Dang, I knew that!" as soon as you tell me.

Cliff
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 02:46:49 PM by Floridacracker » Logged

Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 04:27:22 PM »

Gits and Shiggles, or....?

Dallas,

Hmmmmmmmmm, I can taste that cold beer already!

Of course you know its only because of my bodys natural deficiency Shocked of hops, yeast and barley malt
that I and others who are afflicted with this common problem Grin must reestablish our daily balance.

OK,  what are S&G's. (I get it now)   I know i'm going to go "Dang, I knew that!" as soon as you tell me.

Cliff
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: