Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 31, 2014, 03:21:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any reasons not to use a motorhome entry door on a bus?  (Read 6528 times)
belfert

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »

The hinge does not have to go the full length of the door.

The door is something like 108" tall.  Would a single hinge that can only go up 48" work okay?  I'm not sure how the door could be secured at the top since it is so tall and it isn't very structurally strong.

I'm open to suggestions as I'm not a metalworker.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »

So add some steel to the existing door to beef it up. Hinge it along the bottom half. Leave your windows in and skin it well.
It'll be fine.

You could even modify the upper part so it closes like a safe door, with protruding knobs along the hinged edge that fit
into matching recesses in the frame when it's closed. That way the suction can't pull the top outward.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 11:32:40 AM »

Here is a door fabricated for an Eagle by Sojourner,the Exulted Grand Master of master fabricators. The door is 92 inch tall with a 45 inch heavy duty stainless hinge.. The material, glass, lock, hinge,  paying to have things formed at fabricating shop comes to about $1000.
 Some options you may have are adding metal to existing door to strengthen. A large piece of glass put in with adhesive will also strengthen door.  Adding a 2nd latch at top of door or reducing the height of the opening. Reducing the height would be my first choice if possible. HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 11:56:36 AM »

You could even modify the upper part so it closes like a safe door, with protruding knobs along the hinged edge that fit
into matching recesses in the frame when it's closed. That way the suction can't pull the top outward.

Now there is a true engineer thinking outside the box, in my opinion. Great idea, Gumpy.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 05:17:18 PM »

Thanks Richard. I've been thinking about that for awhile, for a couple of reasons.

It would probably only take one nub towards the top to keep it from pulling out.

Now, if you're really interested in security, you could install several slide bolts like they do in bank vaults  Wink

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 05:23:46 PM »

Hello.

The newer MCI E and J models have an air powered wedge lock at the top of the entrance door to pull the seals tight against wind noise.

In the older ones, it was mid way up the opening side, where a door catch would conventionally be located.

Something else to add to the creativity!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
belfert

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 05:55:36 PM »

Another issue that can probably be overcome for reusing the existing door is the glass is near impossible to remove.  The window glass rubber is at least an inch thick.  I had an auto glass guy try to pop the glass out and he gave up because he was afraid he would break it.  I also wasn't sure I could get a seal if needed.  I wanted the glass and rubber seal out so I could remove the fiberglass door skin on the inside which goes under the rubber seal.  (I no longer care if the fiberglass is broken or not.)

I think maybe I'll talk to Craig about bringing the bus over for him to look at the door and offer some advice.

I really care that I have a functional door.  I don't care so much if the door matches the lines of the bus exactly.
akmc5

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »

here's a pic of my door, less than $300 and about 5 hrs to build. all steel construction.  once I get it skinned, (when I find a good deal on some stainless) it'll look stock. seals up tight so there is no wind noise. I'm pretty happy with it so far. 

I wouldn't recommend using piano hinge though.  It's just too crappy.  get a couple heavy duty marine hinges.  I'll probably cut the piano hinge off this door and use better hinges when I find what I want.
Dreamscape

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 02:43:42 PM »

Very nice job. Great workmanship! We have a very large piano hinge on our Eagle, works great for us. We have a small vertical glass section for seeing down low outside for close encounters.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
belfert

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »

I ended up going with an RV door as I have almost zero metalworking skills.  My job is more complex as the opening needed to be reframed.

I supposed to get my bus back this evening.  Total cost will be about $1100 to purchase an RV door and get it installed.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »

I ended up going with an RV door as I have almost zero metalworking skills.  My job is more complex as the opening needed to be reframed.

I supposed to get my bus back this evening.  Total cost will be about $1100 to purchase an RV door and get it installed.

PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!

We wanna see pictures!
Grin  BK  Grin

did I mention we'd like to see some pictures?

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 04:45:44 PM »

I, for one, am incensed!  To put a door from an S&S is tantamount to puttin' a screen door on a submarine!  Just kidding. 
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
belfert

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 05:08:44 PM »

I can't take pictures of something that doesn't exist.  My bus isn't back yet.   Supposed to be back in an hour, but my camera batteries are dead.  I need to find the charger.

Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 05:20:09 PM »

I can't take pictures of something that doesn't exist.  My bus isn't back yet.   Supposed to be back in an hour, but my camera batteries are dead.  I need to find the charger.

Shhhh.... Brian's just buying some time on the BBS here, since he's not quite happy with the job. Don't tell him, but I snuck over and took this pic of his new door on his Dina...

Grin  Grin  Grin

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Dallas

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 06:01:54 PM »

Shhhh.... Brian's just buying some time on the BBS here, since he's not quite happy with the job. Don't tell him, but I snuck over and took this pic of his new door on his Dina...

Grin  Grin  Grin

That's a damn fine lookin' door ya got there Brian!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: