Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 07:33:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any reasons not to use a motorhome entry door on a bus?  (Read 6702 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2007, 08:42:52 AM »

I be after you  are done with the bus, (if you ever get there) you will cherish haveing pictures of the process.  I have taken quite a few of mine, and every once and a while I look at tehm, and really wish I had taken more.  Its fun to see the progress. 

do yourself a favor, get a digital camera and take lots of them.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
belfert

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2007, 09:50:21 AM »

I have had a digital camera for about 7 years, but I just never take any photos.  Most of the time the NiMH batteries are dead when I want to use it as they self discharge.  One of the issues is I need a new Smart Media card as mine is 16MB and fills up in no time.  Smart Media cards are hard to find except online and not real cheap.

Yes, I probably should take more photos so I remember how I did everything for future repairs or changes, but I haven't so far.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »

When's the last time ou looked at memeory prices?  they fall like bricks after a short time.

I have NiMH batterys, two sets, one is in the charger, the other the camera.  And they make them much beter than they used to, almost twice the capacity of 4 years ago.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
belfert

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2007, 06:43:18 PM »

The cheapest Smartmedia cards are still $40 to $50 for 64mb or 128mb.  SD cards are practically free at that size.  Smartmedia never caught on.  I would almost be better off with a new camera.  It would cost more than the memory, but also do more.

I actually have two sets of NiMH batteries if I could find the other set.  The camera uses AA batteries, but it came with the NiMH AA batteries and charger.  The manual says to use the NiMH as alkaline won't last long.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2007, 06:56:47 PM »

Maybe put that camera on the e-place and get a fresh one?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2007, 10:42:10 PM »

4 years ago I bought some AA NiMh bateries, and they were 1600 mAhours.  the ones you get now are 2400 or 2500 mAhours.  Big increase in capacity, same size and general type.

Jim Stewart

belfert

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2007, 04:37:23 AM »

My issue with the NiMH batteries is not how long they last in the camera, but rather how long they last sitting.  Every time I actually want to use my camera the batteries are dead due to self discharge.
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »

I actually have two sets of NiMH batteries if I could find the other set.  The camera uses AA batteries, but it came with the NiMH AA batteries and charger.  The manual says to use the NiMH as alkaline won't last long.
You could always take a couple of AAs out of your TV remote long enough to get a few pics to post. If you don't watch TV, certainly there are other devices in your home that use AAs.

Personally, I have pics from 45 minutes after I made the deal on my coach, as well as pics of EVERY stage of tear down/prep/construction, from every angle...well over 1000...they have already come in very handy.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Dallas

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007, 01:57:19 PM »

My issue with the NiMH batteries is not how long they last in the camera, but rather how long they last sitting.  Every time I actually want to use my camera the batteries are dead due to self discharge.

If you don't like the NiMH, and you only take photos infrequently, just buy some fresh Alkaline batteries, (NOT  from the dollar Store), and keep them around for when you do want them.

They will stay fresh for years, with very little degradation. I have both NiMH and Alkaline for my camera and I can get around 100 photos with the Alkaline. The NiMH will give me around 400 to 800 depending on my settings.

Speaking of settings, with your 16Mb card, you can change your image size and dramatically increase the number of pictures you get.

Oh well, do it your way. But you will at some time want some documentation of what you've done with before and after shots.
Songman

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »

4 years ago I bought some AA NiMh bateries, and they were 1600 mAhours.  the ones you get now are 2400 or 2500 mAhours.  Big increase in capacity, same size and general type.

I buy rechargeable NiMh batteries at Harbor Freight every time they put them on sale. The original price is cheap but I get them on sale for under $4 for a 4 pack of AAs. I also keep AAAs around. The HF batteries are 2000mAh and I have been sucessfully using them for years. I have a bucket of about 30 batteries, and two chargers going all the time.
belfert

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2007, 03:12:55 PM »

I take all of my photos at 640x480 and I get about 100 photos on the 16MB card.  The full resolution only nets me 16 photos on the card.

I just don't do photos regardless if I had the world's best camera or now.  Don't know why, but I just don't.
belfert

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2007, 03:21:45 PM »

I hate NiMH batteries!  I just recharged them last week and they are dead already!  (I'll admit they may not have charged fully last week.)

I actually went outside to take the photos I promised yesterday and the darn camera shut off after less than 30 seconds.  Time to start looking for a new camera I guess.  (I have nice lithium AAs, but saving those for the GPS for the bus.)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2007, 03:51:20 PM »

Brian,

NiMH batteries are actually well suited for digital cameras.  In fact, Pentax strongly recommends them for use in my DSLR and Canon does the same for my 2 year-old Powershot.  NiMH batteries need to be kept charged if they're going to sit for a long time.  After a numerous long periods of not being kept charged, they don't work properly.  You also have a 7 year old camera.  Most cameras that old are not as efficient as newer ones.  You'd do better to use Lithium or even alkaline batteries, as your camera use is 'atypical'.  FWIW, I got over 330 pictures with flash and LCD display before my Canon's battery meter showed any drop.  My Pentax does better than that.  I think 12 AA NiMH batteries and a 1-hour charger cost me around $20.  I can charge the batteries from a cigarette lighter, too.  I keep one set in each camera and one set in the charger, and I've not had a problem with batteries.  I take my pics at max resolution (5.1 mp on the Canon and 6.1 with the Pentax).  On a 512mb card, I get several hundred pics... twice that on a 1gb card.  I believe the last gig SD card I bought was less than $25.   www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html has lots of camera info and reviews, if you're considering buying a new camera.

David
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2007, 06:44:31 PM »

Brian, I hate to admit it, but it sounds like its time for a new camera.  All that David says is true. I get 600 pictures on my card, and its just not that expensive.  I have had the NiMh batteries in my camera now for well over a month and 100 pics and no sign they are diminshed.  I have another set in the charger ready to go when they do finally get low.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:16:01 AM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

Dallas

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2007, 08:04:54 PM »

My cell phone has 1.3MP digital camera capabilities, Our old Kodak DC210 only had 1.2MP or something like that.
The Kodak did have an optical zoom, which the cell phone doesn't, but the lens in the cell phone is a much better Carl Zies lens.

Our Sony camera has 6.1MP and a 5X optical zoom with lot's of bells and whistles and cost less than the cell phone or the Kodak.

Dallas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: