Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 11:58:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate fiberglass!  (Read 3466 times)
DrDave

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 03:38:45 PM »

I use an air powered body saw.
with 18 or 24 tpi blades.

They are small and powerful, like a mini-sawzal on steriods. get into much tighter spots too!

I used them for sheetmetal, stainless, plastic and fiberglass, heck even for trimming wood at times.

I eventually bought a sawzall at a pawn shop for $20 long after doing one conversion using only the
body saw, a cordeless screwdriver/drill, sabre saw and skill saw.

Now I can cut big stuff too...
belfert

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 04:46:31 PM »

Clarke, I understand your thoughts on cordless tools & if you don't want to change your mind, DO NOT use a 18v cordless impact driver (for running screws). So far, everyone that has used mine has bought one for themselves. It replaced my air nailers as the most fun tool I own. (BTW, the port-a-band & mig welder are always in the top 5.)

I got a 18v impact driver as part of a set from Makita.† It has a 1/4" hex connector so it is really only for screws.† I almost sold it when I got the set as I thought I would never use it.

I'm glad I didn't sell as it is the most used tool in the set.† I think I used the drill once or twice, but the impact driver all the time.† I think it may be lighter than my 12v drill.† It is really handy for removing screws on the bus.† (I'm not ready to put any screws in quite yet.)

Brian Elfert
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 08:15:51 PM by belfert » Logged
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 07:12:50 PM »

I love cordless tools!!! My cordless reciprocating saw is nowhere as good as a corded one, but I needed new batteries and it was almost free, cheaper to buy a kit than just batteries. I've never been able to deal in a pawnshop either.  Anyway FWIW when cutting concrete, we take a 1 gallon milk type jug, fill it with water and poke a small hole in it. Properly positioned it will keep the dust down without drenching the area. Maybe this would work on fiberglass??
                                                                                                        Work?/Play safely jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 05:20:10 AM »

I also used my air powered body saw when cutting my caps to fit.

The high TPI on the blades really kept the dust to a minimum.

But, I am gald I'm done with that part of the project.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: