Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:46:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenicrusier and engine start up procedures  (Read 2996 times)
Michael_e

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »

Well, it's been a long time since posting. Numerous challenges behind me like the heart attack thing, resolving a lot of family issues, and of course, getting layed-off from work. The being layed-off isn't so bad, lot's of time to work projects, but the pay scale really sucks. LOL!!!
Anyway, getting refocused on the Scenicrusier! I'm at the point now where i get to rewire everything, and i do mean everything from the front to the back. I don't think it will be too bad if i just break it down into managable groups like marker lights, headlights, brake & tail lights...you get the idea. I've got a couple of simple wiring books but have always felt somewhat unsure about this stuff. I DO know to not let the smoke out or what ever it is will never work again. I hope to be posting some pics as questions come up.
Now about the start up question...Bus has a 8V92TA and 754 Allison. After getting the required electrical circuits connected, check water and oil levels and give it a go???
Finally, couple of Scenicrusier questions; I don't know if it was heat/bright sun, but the large back glass now has a crack that is spreading. Know where i might find a replacement or ideas on how to build a custom rear window? Lastly, i thought i remember reading a thread about 4 or 5 Scenicrusier owners getting together for a rally/run. Does anyone have a link to that thread?
Mike in Parker...

1955 GM Scenicrusier, 8V92TA & Allison 754. Totally rewiring all 12v systems and lots of questions.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 01:40:17 PM »

The Scenicruiser road trip already took place....can't find the link but I am sure someone here has it

Rear Window.......made of unobtanium........compound curves on all three pieces

Factoid.  IIRC there was a scenicruiser sales brochure that showed the 4501 having 5 miles of wire in it from the factory

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »

Try a call to Knutson in Gila Bend, Az. 928-683-2553. He had the remains of several 4501 buses in his yard.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »

Isn't the Scenic rear window the same as a 4104 (also unobtainable)?

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 03:39:13 PM »

No the scenic is smaller than the 04....but yes the 04 is made of unobtanium as well.

the wise 04 owner would be wise to buy the one complete rear set (used) that is available presently.

great insurance policy......in fact if yours breaks you can sell yours to the insurance company at a tidey profit
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »

Scenicruiser rear window. Huh
The Scenicruiser rear window and the 2 small "D" windows are very hard to find and there are some out there for sale.
What is harder to locate is the rubber seal the seal is a special seal for the Scenicruiser rear windows.
The glass is thicker than standard glass.
You might try Tom McNally for a Scenicruiser rear window he can be reached at
tbonemcnally@hotmail.com
jlv Grin
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »

Thanks for all the replys so far. I'll try the contacts. How hard would it be to fabricate a new window frame?

Any thoughts on restarting a detroit that has been sitting for awhile?

Mike in Parker

1955 GM Scenicrusier, 8V92TA & Allison 754. Totally rewiring all 12v systems and lots of questions.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 08:07:26 PM »

Good to hear you are back on the scenicruiser!  Grin

There are a couple of Yahoo groups that might interest you:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Scenicruiserdepot/

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Scenicruiser21/

Too bad about the rear window  Cry The last one I've heard about was at Ted's in Williams CA but it wasn't yet for sale as he was holding it for one he was restoring.

One of mine has 1/4" plastic. From the ground, it looks GREAT, from inside, not so much. The problem with the glass is price, ~$500+ for the smaller front upper windshields is more than most want to spend just for spares. If you try to make just one set, the set up charges kill it.

Is yours a conversion or still seated? If a conversion, you'll be able to leave out numerous circuts that were for the passangers.

Good luck with your ole girl!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 08:29:59 PM »

Mike, If it were mine I would just start it up.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »

Hi Mike,

Glad Your Back!

Sorry to hear about the health and job issues...

On a better note, get it fired up!  you have lots of help here.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 07:53:47 AM »

As for starting it, My biggest concern would be a runaway engine, so:

- verify the rack is not stuck & is operating properly
- make sure you can turn the fuel off in a hurry if you need to
- have a fire extinguisher to make sure a small fire doesn't grow into a big problem, BTDT (CO2 doesn't leave as big a mess to clean up)

She should fire right off with good fuel.

Good Luck!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 09:04:42 AM »

Mike......get yourself a set of electrial schematics for the old girl,there out their.Beside having all of the safety equipment,you might want to  start it up with just the fuel you have in the primary and secondary bowls,that way if anything goes wrong it won't run long.The key is being able to shut the fuel off ASAP.The hardest windows to aquire for the scenicruiser are the rears,what ever you do don't throw the old window away,save it. Scenic Cruise 2007 is done with,just make sure your ready for the 2008 Scenic Cruise.Besides you,I'd like to see Kyle come along on the next cruise ,that brother has more cruisers then all the cruisers put together that went on the last cruise....*smiling*...I'd like the next cruise to start in Arizona and venture up Route 66.Your right,being unemployed does have its advantages,you get to work on the cruiser.I myself will have to go back to work shortly,either that or work on someones bus,decisions decisions......Frank 4501-082
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:40:06 PM »

What Kyle and Frank and the others said is all good advice...Of course, a guy could string some wires down the isle and do a little driving around while you plan your big wiring job. Don't let it set too long. It's not good for the cruiser and it's not good for you. It is so much easier to tackle the tasks at hand when you still have the smile on your face from the last spin around the block...or city...or state...we could meet you in Amboy.

Phil Zisakis 4501-821
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »

Here is a link to the scenicruiser road trip thread you were looking for.
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »

Thanks again for all the links and the 'ran with the big dogs' link.

About the engine start up...the engine has not been started in about 5 years now. This was due to my lowering of the upper deck flooring. Now i can stand up stright except right at the outer walls where the roof curves. Lowering the floor was a huge amount of work. It required moving all the air, power steering, fuel, dash defroster, and electrical lines. Several folks mentioned i should have some way to shut the engine down quickly, since i have opened the fuel lines and don't want to fight that problem while trying to restart a engine, i was thinking of disconnecting the fuel line at the filters and drawing fuel from a 5 gal jerry can. If something exceting gets started, i can quickly remove the fuel line from the temp fuel tank. Thoughts??
Mike in Parker

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: