Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 14, 2014, 07:00:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scenicrusier and engine start up procedures  (Read 3065 times)
Dallas

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »

Michael,

Instead of just pulling the fuel line out of the bucket of fuel, you may want to think about putting a ball valve on the intake line so you can shut the fuel off and not lose your prime.

Since the engine hasn't been started in a few years, pop the rocker covers off and pour some oil over the valves and injectors, then, while it's set in a 'no fuel' position, turn the engine over manually if possible, with the starter if you have to.
Watch the injector rack and injectors to make sure everything is going up and down, back and forth along with hither and yon as it should. While your at it, you could set the valves to spec, but they are probably OK as it is.
The important thing is to make totally certain the injectors are not frozen. If one is, it can ruin a perfectly good day.

If you do have a runaway because of a stuck injector, have a piece of sheetmetal handy to toss over the air intake hole, which will require you to remove the air intake tube to the blower before you start the engine.

The reason I mention the piece of sheet metal is that just shutting off the fuel probably won't kill the engine fast enough to keep from tossing spare parts all over the yard. The positive part though, the oil that's blown out will get rid of the pesky crabgrass you've been trying to subdue for years. the downside is that if you do need to use the sheet metal, you'll most likely lose the seals in the blower, but that's a lot cheaper fix than rebuilding the whole engine.

Be safe, be careful and have a lot of fun!

Dallas

GO BUSSING!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 04:57:34 PM »

If you just pull the hose from the jerry can, you still have a lot of fuel in the filters.  I would install a ball valve very close to where the fuel line enters the heads but where I can reach it quickly.

That should stop it pretty quick without resorting to the sledge hammer routine or choking off the air supply (which could cause problems of it's own.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 06:37:10 PM »

Hello

help me out here....

Why wouldn't pulling on the fuel shut off on the governor stop it?

The one that the Schraeder brand air valve pushes normally to stop it?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Dallas

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 06:50:26 PM »

Hello

help me out here....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Because if there is a stuck injector the rack may not close again to shut off the fuel.

Also, I believe the 4501 doesn't use an air throttle. It uses a cable.

Dallas

GO BUSSING!
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 07:03:59 PM »

Dallas,
Use a CO2 fire extinguisher.
CO2 will shut a Detroit down with no problem and it saves the blower seals. Grin
The Scenicruiser did have a cable for the throttle system for the 8V/71.
JLV

Dallas

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 07:09:49 PM »

CO2 or even Argon or mix. I've seen it used from a welding tank, but didn't think about it. Lot's cheaper than rebuilding an engine or even a blower.

But it is kind of fun to see how far the parts can go when they let loose!  Tongue Wink
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »

Hello

help me out here....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

I'm not sure about the 8-71 but on my 4104, the link from the governor to the rack is spring loaded.  If the rack is stuck (as mine was), moving the governor arm did not move the rack.

After having a stuck injector and worrying about a run away, I did just that, installed a small ball valve right at the head.  I have been looking for a 12 volt fuel valve that I could put in it's place that would be operated by the run switch.  That way there would be a positive shut down without having to use the emergency flapper.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dallas

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 07:43:20 PM »

Len,

Caterwaller, umm, Caterpiller used a fuel shutoff solenoid for years, many of them still do on the gensets and heavy equipment.

Also the 6.5 GM diesel used one. Along with many perkins, Isuzu and Mercedes diesels as used in Reefer service.

Edit: I just looked on Google and found lots and lots. Here's some pictures:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=electric+fuel+shut+off+solenoid&btnG=Search+Images

Dallas

GO BUSSING!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:45:12 PM by Dallas » Logged
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 08:56:16 AM »

Thanks again for more ideas. I really like the electric selonid fuel shut off idea. Could also act as a theft prevention device. My bus DOESN'T have the original 8V71 natural, it now has a 8V92TA and a air throttle. The old cable it a tube was having rust and sticking problems. I had to remove the old cable when lowering the floor and was easier to just replace it with the air controlled throttle.
Will a pair of group 31 batteries be enough to start this engine under normal conditions? I'm not going to be using any of the original airconditioning system/blowers.
Mike in Parker

1955 GM Scenicrusier, 8V92TA & Allison 754. Totally rewiring all 12v systems and lots of questions.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 09:29:40 AM »

I would pull both valve covers and see if all the injectors on moving.  Since it is a 92 series, the spring loaded injectors should not stick open.  I would highly suggest you NOT installing a ball valve on the intake side of the fuel-that's a good way to pull the seals out of the fuel pump-then what?  Using a C02 extinguisher is the best way to stop a run away.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 12:31:31 PM »

Back to your original post: Did you find a rear window or have you talked to the glass people that repair cracks in windshields?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: