Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 08:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: helping a new bus owner.  (Read 1088 times)
trey

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »

Hey everybody! Im in a band and the last bus we bought was hit by a semi.. we need another one. We're looking at a 1981 MCI charter bus. 6V92 Detroit, Alison 740 tranny. at first glance she definately looks like a keeper! They want $11,500.. Inside and out it is a very clean bus. we're going to test drive it tomarrow.
Ive asked the owners as many questions as i can think of.. but im rather inexperienced.. what are some things i should know maybe??
Is that price reasonable for a bus that old?
thanks!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:41:45 PM »

I couldnít tell you much about MCI busses, there are others here that can. Price depends on condition, and the best way to determine condition is to take it to a reputable mechanic.

Good Luck

Laryn

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »

Hi Tray,

Welcome!

The first thing to look at is rust around the bulk head in the rear baggage compartment.

Second, bring it to a well astablished bus guarage and have them inspect it for you.

Other then that, check all the usual stuff like rubber, engine smoke, batteries, and so on.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 06:00:07 PM »

Areas of concern that you can see:

Rust in the structure right above the engine in the engine compartment

Rust on the sides particularly around the vents near the front

Rust in the rear suspension structure?

basic housekeeping, if they skimp on things like tires they likey skimped elsewhere.

Prior to paying have it taken to a reputable BUS mechanic
Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 07:23:26 PM »

Keep your wallet in your pants until you make sure it is WHAT YOU WANT!

Look at other coaches for the same asking price to compare EVERYTHING!

Don't buy the first one, unless you ARE SURE!

As others have said, HAVE A KNOWLEDGEABLE MECHANIC CHECK IT OUT!

Ask for any documents on recent service or repairs. If they don't have any, I would have my doubts regarding reliability.

Have fun with your venture.

ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS......

And another thing.....ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS....

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 07:25:46 PM »

yep if they do not have reciepts for work...it wasn't done.

don't have comprehensive maint records, mileages are suspect.

ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 07:44:40 AM »

Checklist for pre inspection of possible purchase:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4419.0
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 08:22:30 AM »

As all the others have said. HAVE IT CHECKED OUT, by a knowledgable bus mechanic! Also it might help to let us know where it's located, maybe someone on the board can assist you in finding the right person to check it out! Are you buying from an individual, dealer, company? What kinda reputation do they have? Have you dealt with them before? Know anyone who has dealt with them before? Check them out with the BBB if it is a dealer or company, it'll tell ya what kinda reputation they have! FWIW BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:45:43 AM »

May I make a suggestion? You may want to consider getting an RTS with a Series 50 4 stroke engine. The fuel economy is just so much better, over 10mpg if you change to highway 4.11 gears. Plus, it won't drip oil and you can buy that oil anywhere. Yes, the bays are smaller, but that can be overcome. Plus, the RTS just looks so modern. You can get a mid 1990s bus as I have described for $10K or less. I know of one for sale that I have no connection to, but I won't post it here due to the rules. I own an MCI as well, and the RTS is much nicer to drive, and goes so much faster over the mountains. It's just a much, much better bus. Granted, my MCI is a 5 from the sixties, but I suspect my RTS has more power than the MCI you are currently considering. With regard to the advice about taking it to your own mechanic, I agree. The seller of my RTS permitted me to take the bus for two full days to have my mechanic look it over. I was amazed, as he didn't even have a copy of my ID, and just let me drive off. Well, I left my car there, but still...

Do the math on fuel use, and I think you'll see you can save a bundle over the years with a Series 50.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: