Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 01:34:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4104 throttle  (Read 1432 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2007, 05:02:03 PM »

Just picked the bus up from Luke and crew.

Seemed fiine till I hit the A/C expressway where I only had 3/4 throttle at best.....was not a fun drive home.

either something is binding in thecable or the Bellcrank at the Gov has an issue of some sort.

Hope it is a easy fix in the morning as I have an ETA St Louis of Sat Eve
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:40:07 PM »

Ah the joys of having an air throttle-and the light pedal pressure.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:03:17 PM »

she still has and has always had light pedal preasure.....byproduct of good PM.

Airthrottles have thier own set of issues.......if it was an air throtle and had an issue I would not be home now but either back at Luke's or on the side of the road.

I would have probably fixed it on the side of the road, but since it's sale I have removed all my tools.

I am figuing 30 minutes tomorrow should solve the problem....finger crossed
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 04:43:35 AM »

Doug:

I'm certainly no mechanical expert, but have been thinking your post a bit. I have a few questions about the 3/4 throttle condition you are experiencing.

First off, do I understand that this is not a pedal travel issue? You stated the pedal has a light feel to it, but will it travel all the way to the floor (not just 3/4 of the way)?

When you say you get 3/4 throttle, is it that you feel that you have a 25% loss of engine power? Or is it that you have normal power but the RPMs only climb to a point 25% short of the normal governor limit?

Also, it might help to know what sort of work Luke was doing when you had it in.

Wish I had know about your situation last night.  I was out diddling with my 4104, and you probably were within 20 minutes on my house, when you were half way between Luke's and yours. Would have been happy to grab some tools and meet you.

Lastly, I'll be heading to St Louis in my 4104 in a few weeks. I'd be interested in comparing notes on our trips.

Wayne

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 05:49:56 AM »

Work done that is related:

Pull clean lube throttle cable

lube bellcranks at GZov End

3/4 throttle......actuall loss of throttle cable travel is 25% or so.  Used to be able to Put it to the stop and have complete travel to the stop.

there is also what I am going to call a loss of power as it will not run up against to Governor.

That trip used to be a 75mph trip all day and yesteday was lucky to get 65 downhill with slows to 40 on the grades if you want to call them that.

For reference, Engine has 65k or so from brand new  and I personnaly have drivin it cross county twice, so I know what she is capable of

The problem is similar to when the nylon bushing in the bellcrank started to go....and would hang up from time to time.....hanging up at the idle position,

if someone could email me photos of their go area I would appreicate it.  As I do not recall how it was and something does not look right to my eye

WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 06:04:37 AM »

Photo emailed.  Let me know if this shows what you need.

(2nd photo sent as well)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:15:06 AM by WEC4104 » Logged

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 08:52:03 AM »

yep we have different    governors and linkages.

I see to now have   f ull cable throw but still falls on it's face in 3rd and 4th almost seems to have a pulsation/surge as well but it could be in my head.

also Reverse no longer works  either
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:24:50 AM »

You can call this an absolute wild @$$ guess, but I prefer to think of this as "thinking outside the box".   Any chance you got to Luke's with a pretty low fuel tank?  Then, before you headed home you stopped to fill up on New Jersey diesel, which is considerably cheaper than here in PA?  (It's what I would have done.)  In the process, it stirred up junk in the bottom of the tank, and you are now experiencing fuel filter issues?   It took from Luke's to the Expressway for enough gunk to build up.

Can't think of any way that the reverse issue could be related.  I have experienced similar issues.  My reverse solenoid is fairly new.  I have read previous threads that have traced these problems back to a relay in the electrical compartment behind the right rear wheels.  Corroded contacts, I believe.  It is on my list of things to check some time.

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »

here it goes.

1.Bus showed upa t Lukes with 3/4 tank of fresh diesel.  bus is never parked without being full

2. Tanks were removed and cleaned in prep for B100

3. entire fuel system redone with B100 freindly materials.

4. fancy heated ( electric and coolant) filter in addition to standard bus filters.

5. tanks are heated.

Here is what happed today.

1. would not start this AM, was not plugged in and temp last night to 55 deg.

2. pluged it in and got it started.

3 test drive...same falling on it's face.

4. took to my mechanic, fixed the misadjusted throttle loinkage....was only getting about 3/4 throttle

5 replaced the coach prim and sec fuel filters.

6 test drive showed some improvement but not the raped ape it was prior and for the past 7 years.

7. Topped off with Dino Diesel 45 gallons Lukes to Harrisburg a wopping 4mpg, average over 6 years.......9.98mpg and I am in it all the time

8. Interesting enough at lukes the fuel gauge would only read 1/2....we fooled with it but could not get better.  After adding Dino Fuel gauge works fine.

9. After fueling more addied peformance gains...but stil not quite right.

will update more tom

D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 07:04:41 PM »

Don't know if this will help but we had something like that happen to us after USC did some adjustments on the throttle on our 4106.  After they adjusted it, we barely made it to the NJ Turnpike.  We returned and they found the cable was stretching (so it only allowed partial travel),  IIRC the cable eventually broke.  They had to install a new section of cable.   Have not had any further troubles with it since.  Good luck,  Denis
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 08:26:55 PM »

Ahhh...... okay.

My initial "guess" was based on the fact that the only work Luke did was service the throttle cable and lube the bell crank.  Now we're hearing that the tanks were removed, additional filters were added, and "the entire fuel system redone" for B100 use.

Too much for my level of expertise. I'll sit down and be quiet now.  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 07:16:25 AM by WEC4104 » Logged

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »

LOL
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 04:18:13 PM »

Old man is delivering the bus for me.....makes sence....his first bus and all.

Still having some throttle issues.  acting funny right now but early in the thrip....no throttle response....have not gotten the skinny on the symptoms but from the sounds of it has no response and seems like no cable travel at the pedal.

right after picking the bus up in NJ it had a similar feel but that the top full throttle position

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: