Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Changes on the Interstate  (Read 2899 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 09:08:17 AM »

Suggestions for on road oil changes.  I took a trip a couple years ago to the Rickreall, Or get together.  I fortunately had the fore site to carry two cases (6 gal ea) of Delo 100 straight 40 weight with me.  I had the oil filter mount break off and dispense 5 gal of oil quickly onto the road before I could shut it down.  Other than the 5 hour delay for the mechanic to get there and to change the filter, it wasn't a bad break down. 

Before leaving on any extended trip, you should have the oil changed and serviced.  If you're going out for over 10,000 miles, have enough oil with you to provide for an oil change and for oil burn (should be about 1 gal per 2,000 miles, if you're engine is in good condition).

I know United Oil in Los Angeles carries the Delo 100 40 weight along with the Detroit dealers.  And- NEVER use non detergent oil.  You're engine was set up for Delo 100 40 weight oil (original oil from 1938), and will get a really mucked up engine if you use non detergent.  I'm not even sure if you can get non detergent oil anymore.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bus05eagle

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 09:52:45 AM »

Delo 100 is getting hard to find i get my oil from a DD dealer most of the time its made by Exonn Mobil you can get delo 400 and shell t at most Napa stores no engine oil is to have more than 1% ash now
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 10:51:56 AM »

Delo 100 is getting hard to find i get my oil from a DD dealer most of the time its made by Exonn Mobil you can get delo 400 and shell t at most Napa stores no engine oil is to have more than 1% ash now
delo 400 This is not the correct oil for the DD.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »

... no engine oil is to have more than 1% ash now

Doesn't appear to be happening.

Chevron Delo 400 data sheet from Chevron website

Chevron Delo 100 data sheet from Chevron website

Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 11:39:24 AM »

Mark, if you go to the above referenced links it will answer all your questions.  And yes, you should change the oil to the recommended stuff.  Your engine will thank you and run many many miles for you.

<OOPS...

I just traveled 2500+ miles w/ my new bus (8v-71) and used a couple of gallons of Dello 400 15-40.

what should I do? Change all the oil right away? What is the problem?

Thanks

Mark>
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:37:29 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »

HighTech (and others) -

Read the entire Delo 400 data sheet carefully.  It specifically states it is not recommended for Detroit two-stroke engines.  Used to be, but no longer.

Mark -

The "Type of oil for my two-stroke" discussion comes up on this and other busnut bulletin boards about every three - four months.  Search the archives here and over on BNO for more detailed discussion on the subject - it's been beaten to death numerous times.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 07:13:11 PM »

HighTech (and others) -

Read the entire Delo 400 data sheet carefully.  It specifically states it is not recommended for Detroit two-stroke engines.  Used to be, but no longer.

Mark -

The "Type of oil for my two-stroke" discussion comes up on this and other busnut bulletin boards about every three - four months.  Search the archives here and over on BNO for more detailed discussion on the subject - it's been beaten to death numerous times.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

Russ, I think you misunderstood my position on it.  I wasn't advocating the use of Delo 400.  I was pointing out that the ash content is too high.  I was also the one that posted the link to the article by Tejas on the damage done by running multi-grade oils.

I think the reason the topic comes up so often is that the board is growing fast as many people new to bus conversions are joining.  In every forum I've been a part of, it is common to have "routine questions" that are asked by new members who don't realize that it has already been "beaten to death".  Some boards create a FAQ section that addresses those questions and in some cases that helps a little.  Some boards severely flame newbies for not using the search function before asking questions (I like supportive friendly boards so I don't support that approach at all).   But no matter what is done, new members don't always search first.  Sometimes they do, but due to their inexperience they don't always use the right keywords to get a productive search result.  So I think repetitive questions will likely be around on this forum and all others a lot longer than we will.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 08:10:14 PM »

High Tech -

You're right - I didn't pick up on your comment correctly. . .  See what happens when I don't have my Pepsi fix w/ dinner?   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hmmm. . . a FAQs section. . . we already have the Flea Market and BBS Tips, perhaps TPTB can create one?

And maybe while they're at it, they could make one for Member's Bus Pics, rather than a sticky in Discussion. . .

What say you, Phil, Nick, Jack or Richard??

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 09:05:02 AM »

I think a FAQ section would be great.  When I first came across this site  I did a bunch of research digging through the archives.  I found some information right away but some of it is hard to access if you do not hit on the right keywords.  Which you may not know if you are new to bussing and lets face it, at some point we were all new to this.  I, for one have been looking into a conversion for the past 2 years and after hours of searching for info a FAQ section could have saved a ton of time.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »

Or even better, how about getting the free software that Wikipedia uses, and installing that here.  It references all the entries, all can edit too.  It makes an expert system based on every-one's input.  the best part is that we wouldn't have to keep re-answering the same questions over an over, but would be building a true knowledge base.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 07:08:42 AM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 11:33:39 AM »

I think Jim's Wiki idea is awesome. If we can't host it here, I have a lot of webspace available.

BTW, I always carry two cases of Rotella T st. 40w (from Napa, special order) and a huge pan (from Ace Hardware... you can also use a masonry tub from HD/ Lowes) and a Napa #1970 spin-on. I can change my oil in about 30min. and put it back into their one-gallon containers for drop-off at a recycle place. Oil-sorb and a big scrap piece of cardboard keeps the little dribbles under control. Best time to pull the plug on your pan is after a long run, anyways.

Cheers,
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 11:41:39 AM »

I tried to do this on the Help board, but it just got to be too big a job for one person to try and copy everything to the other board and then to try and keep it organized and alphabetical. It would definitely require some kind of a soft ware package to accomplish this. Maybe Phil or Nick or Dallas will have some ideas. I really hate to see so much of this great information get lost.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: