Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 13, 2017, 11:13:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Buddy type system question.  (Read 1355 times)
Don4107

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:07:30 PM »

Do these systems supply vacuum to the brake booster?  If not they would have to push a ton on the pedal to get much brake action. 

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 06:37:11 PM »

Hi Don,

I did alot of reading today on 3 systems and all seem to be brute force with no vacuum.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:20:35 PM »

Don,
    The instructions for my 'brakemaster'  from 'Roadmaster' advise depressing the pedal several times to bleed off the vacuum before connecting the cylinder to the pedal.  The 'brakemaster' uses a pneumatic cylinder 'teed' into the bus airbrake system. Evidently it provides plenty of pedal force and doesn't depend on the towed having 'power brakes'.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:43:24 PM »

Same on Brake buddy, pump brake to bleed vacuum. We would think this would be hard on the toad brake and body structure, but I could find no evidence of problems surfing the RV boards.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:19:32 PM »

I did not know about bleeding the booster pump, and have never had any trouble with the brake buddy.(Learn alot new everyday on this site) It is brute force but works really good. I have probably pulled an extended Ford Aerostar 30k+ miles with it.  Tom
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 05:12:17 PM »

You have identified one of the faults of many of the toad brake systems (those with air cylinders at the brake pedal).

If you leave vacuum in your booster, your toad will brake heavily and try to slow the bus.

Vehicle firewalls are not designed for continual no-power (no vacuum) braking.  Dependent of the number of brake applies and the force, cracking or deformation of the firewall could occur.

With no vacuum in the brake booster, toad brake effectiveness is severely limited, or excessive pedal pressure is required.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »

This post has some links to various brake systems:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=3117.msg27832#msg27832

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Sojourner

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:06:48 PM »

Amen...to Ed Roelle's post.

Master cylinder with vacuum chamber assy will flex more up & down then with vacuum on while pushing pedal.
Another word without vacuum is like panic applied pressure every time using air-cylinder. Have someone push pedal without vacuum while you watch end of master-cylinder for up & down "plane" movement.
One thing for sure....it will be slower apply move than added special air-cylinder in between master to boaster unit. I believe this system has a "one-way" piston rod movement so it is still normal pedal pressure movement while driving car.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: