Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:43:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Paint Shop in So. California or Arizona?  (Read 1654 times)
twragg

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:39:44 PM »

After four short years, I am within  2 months of needing my Neoplan painted.  I am in the San Diego area and wouldn't mind driving a couple hundred miles to get an great paint job.  So far I have only found one shop (Fleet Painting in El Cajon).  Does anyone know of any other shops? http://
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:35:50 PM »

Hello twragg,

Welcome!

Thanks for posting your question. I'm sure you will get some answers real soon.

Our members are very helpfull when it matters!

Good Luck with your paint
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »

A friend got his painted (3 colors) nice job. For around 4K in Los Algodones Mexico That included the prep work, got to sand all those rivit heads.

Ron
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 06:25:11 AM »

Seven years ago I had my sticks and staples painted in San Carlos Mexico, it is a little north of Guaymas.
 They came to the RV park and prepped the MH, then took it to paint, so I was only without it 1 day! It was about 1/2 of the US price. They used Dupont paint and did a great job. I do not remember the name but easy to find somebody anyplace in Mexico.
 If you go to border towns, you will pay border prices, much cheaper a little ways into Mexico.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »

and another American job goes south.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 10:31:14 AM »

Imron and other similar high quality paints were outlawed in California many years ago, due to air pollution I believe.
The archives here and at BNO should turn up a few facilities across the border from Arizona or California that can still use these paints and that generally do a great job at about half the cost.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 10:41:38 AM »

Take it to Mike Wilson in Eugene Or and have it done right
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 11:04:36 AM »

Here are some notes I copied from various board replies regarding paint.  Some are from several years ago, my aplogies to anyone who actually posted these comments.

twragg, stay in touch, I'm in San Diego also and will be needing paint sometime as well.  I want to keep abreast of who is good and not.  How much did Fleet Painting want for their paint job?

Comments as follows:

I had my bus painted in Alameda, CA (SF Bay Area) by Coach Specialties, who (as their name indicates) specialize in painting coaches. Their prices start at $3500 for a quality three color paint job-- you don't have to go to Mexico for a reasonable paint job!
I had my Eagle completely repainted several years ago, including stripping the roof and much of the sides, at Smith & Hartford Custom Coach in Compton. Russ Collins at 310-625-9432. Area code probably has been changed by now. All he does is paint busses. Mostly commercial work. All Imron, three colors and he did an excellent job, and it still looks as good as the day he painted it. $2,500 according to my notes. Probably double that by now. LOL
Richard
Go to http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/gmc-busnuts/lst ,click on the 4104 wi..., Bill's 4106, and then on page 2 click on George's... . These were all done in Algodones, Mexico (WSW of Yuma AZ). I've seen the last two but not the 4104; very nice job & mighty hard to beat for 5000.
The guy in Algodones, Mexico is named Manuel Amador. He has a new paint shop just outside of town to the South. I have several friends who have gotten their coaches painted there (one just 3 wks. ago) and the guy does very good work at a good price, but....don't try to rush him. If he says 1 wk., plan on 10-11 days; 2 wks. is 3.  Manuel Amador
Ave. "B" 8th St., Algodones BC
Cell # 001 928 503 0400

His shop is located on the hiway South out of town heading toward San Luis. Be advised, his pricing is up, as is everything else in Mexico. He just quoted me a job involving less than 2 qts. of color base and less than a gallon of clear (mostly striping) in a design----$2800. I can get it done at a shop in CA or Or. for under $3500 and have a guy that will do it when the weather breaks for around 1500.

I have seen some really nice work out of his shop at very attractive prices. Last job I saw out of his shop on a Flx Hi-Liner, I would not have paid him for it. Problem is, he usually wants about 1/2 up front. I use to tout him--no more.
Most of us Western Busnuts of FMCA get our busses painted at Manuel Amadorís in Los Algodones My 04 has 4 colors of Imron $2800.00. They strip it to the bare metal, prime, seal then paint. You can stay in the bus while they do it. He has hook ups. That price includes some body work. Call him at 011-658-517-7914 Tell him wino bob said to call Algodones is about 15 miles east of Yuma.
Manuel is a great guy!  Los Algodones is 15 miles WEST of Yuma (third exit westbound) from the 4th ave./I-8 exit. Exit to the right then left at the stop sign, and the border is about two miles. They DO mean 35mph too, and the Tribal Police (it's on the Quechan Reservation) will bust you quickly, 'cause they get the money, not California. The man to see is Manuel Amador (AMADOR'S paint, body shop and motor homes). He will completely strip and sand entire bus before painting so decals should not be a problem.
Los Algodones is located South of Andrade, Ca., 1st. exit West of the Arizona line on I 8.
Phone from the States: 011-526-517-79-14.
Friend had Bus done about 4 or 5 years ago and has been pleased.
Hope this helps.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
scottwms

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:26 AM »

Had mine done by Manuel Amador in Los Algodones about 2 years ago. There was a Neoplan there getting his done right after mine. Mine was $3k, His was $5.  Paint is super durable and looks great.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 11:24:20 AM »

I had my Eagle completely repainted several years ago, including stripping the roof and much of the sides, at Smith & Hartford Custom Coach in Compton. Russ Collins at 310-625-9432. Area code probably has been changed by now. All he does is paint busses. Mostly commercial work. All Imron, three colors and he did an excellent job, and it still looks as good as the day he painted it. $2,500 according to my notes. Probably double that by now. LOL
Richard

This from Jim's post. I had the painting done in the early 90's and was one of the last Imron jobs that Russ Collins did. I have no idea if he is still in business now. The Imron paint still looks good as new and there was no clear coat put on it.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »

Twragg....look around a litttle where your at,there are more shops out there in San Diego.I don't know where your at in San diego,but if your able,or someone else is able to do the prep work where your at(depending on the condition of your bus,it will takes weeks if not months to prep it) you will save a lot of time and money at the paint shop.The painting itself will take only a couple of days at most,unless you wanting to add some graffics of some sort.The prep work is what cost the big bucks,the paint is relativeity cheap in comparision.Imron is outlawed for the bodyshops,but for you the private citizen, it is not.Lots of good paint out there,the Imron paint is the paint I'd use especially on the roof line,and they have for quite a while now a extremly good clear that goes over the Imron paint, that extends the paint even longer.If your bus has any rivits,,don't sand them,use some scott brite,the rivits are what holds everything together.It is a very time cosuming project if you do have rivits.If you do have rivits,you will have most likely have some runs when you paint. Myself and some of my employess have painted 3 GM buses here at my lot,not in my spray booth.Two of the vehicles,my 4501 cruiser,and a 4106 are shown on this web site,meaning to say,that you don't have to have a spray booth to have a nice paint job,now of course if you have the bucks,its better to spray it in a booth.I had at the time a paint and body shop,as well as doing custom fab work here in San Diego.Good luck........Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: