Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GMC 4104 GVW rating  (Read 2380 times)
WEC4104

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »

On the recent thread concerning "Private Coach" placards, there has been some discussion of GVWs and weigh stations.  It got me pondering some things, and not wanting to hijack that thread, I started this new one.

Seven years ago, I purchased my 4104 and drove it home from Calif.   It was already registered as a motorhome, and the process of getting it registered in PA as a motorhome was pretty simple. I went to a local (privately run) establishment that handles tag transfers, etc. and they worked with me to fill out the paperwork.   At one point, they asked me what the 4104's GVW rating was, and being a newbie, I responded back with a blank stare.   The gal behind the counter simply wrote in 24,500 lbs, and continued on filling out the paperwork.  The number was completely pulled out of her orrifice, with no info from me or anywhere else.  The paperwork ended up being processed by the DMV and for seven years I have been carrying an owners card that states a rated weight of 24,500 lbs.

Now, I am pretty darn sure that the 4104 is actually rated to handle a weight substantially more.  In seven years and 25,000 miles I have never stopped at a DOT weigh station.  For that matter, I have never had her weighed at a truck stop either.  I'd guess that my weight would be rather typical for a converted 4104, neither especially light or especially heavy.  No question, I should jump on a scale with her and find out what she really weighs.

If I am sufficiently under the 24,500 figure, and don't have to worry about loading up to the point that I exceed it, the gal at the tag place may have done me a favor, since I don't have to deal with +26,000 vehicle restrictions, no?   On the otherhand, if I am close to or over 24,500, it gives me one more thing to worry about (like I need something more).  I am sure that trying to get the GVW rating changed with Harrisburg would be lots of fun.

Any of you other 4104 owners want to tell me what you weigh?   

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »

With full fuel tanks (140 gals diesel, 30 gals gas, 45 gals propane) and empty water and holding tanks, and 2 adults seated up front, mine weighed 9,800 on the front axle and 15,020 on the rear.

The manual for my 4104 gives GVW as 32,000, 12 on the front and 20 on the rear.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:11:51 AM »

GVW is not given in any of the 4104 literature that I know of.  I think you can safely assume 12,000 on the front and 22,000 on the rear, gross 34,000.

I wouldn't be concerned about what it says on your registration, no one is ever going to check. (Don't stop at DOT weigh stations though).  Get it weighed at a truck scale.  Unless you are using lots of granite and ceramic tile, I think you will find your conversion comes in in the mid-high twenties.  Plenty of capacity left over.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:35:51 AM »

Any of you other 4104 owners want to tell me what you weigh? 

I weigh 175. . .  Cheesy

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:53:30 AM »

since I don't have to deal with +26,000 vehicle restrictions, no? 

That only applies to commercial vehicles, not to RV's or other private vehicles. Neither do you have to have a commercial drivers license (CDL).
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »

I weigh 175. . .  Cheesy

I guess that would be GROSS weight then..... Grin

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »

I weigh 175. . .  Cheesy

I guess that would be GROSS weight then..... Grin

No, that would be 144 pounds!  Grin
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 06:08:01 AM »

I guess that would be GROSS weight then.....

....  drum rim shot & cymbal crash.  You guys are rollin' now.  Grin

But back to the topic and a few more questions.   

The 32K and 34K lbs GVW ratings stated by others are in line with what I have been thinking was my true GVW. I would estimate that based on what's in my tanks and bays, I am somewhere between 23K and 26K.

So let's say I'm heading out on a trip and loaded to 25,300 when Barney Fife corrals me into a weigh station.  My protests that I am "private" not "commercial" fall on deaf ears, and he responds that it doesn't matter.  "The sign says vehicles over XXX GVW must exit".

Exactly what is the procedure at the station?  Do they compare the measured weight against the GVW stated on the owner's card?

As a side question, when they post weight restrictions for bridges, is the stated limit the vehicle's true weight or GVW rating? As example:  A guy just had his 4106 weighed at 27,500 before he gets off the interstate. Let's say his GVW rating is 34,000.  On the way between the interstate and the campground he come to a bridge that is restricted to 15 tons.  Is he legal to cross?

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 06:56:25 AM »

Quit stressing out over nothing.  Just drive the bus and have fun.  The worst thing that could happen is that they fine you $50,000, take the bus and put you in jail for ten years.  Not to worry!

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 07:09:03 AM »

I think this guy said it best...

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 07:34:17 AM »

Hey, my bus is at the garage getting it's annual state inspection. So since I can't play with it, all I can do is post questions on the board  Wink

Good news for you guys, the garage just called 10 minutes ago to tell me she is done (and passed without needing anything).  I can stop pestering everyone with GVW questions now!

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 07:46:36 AM »

WEC -

Well, now that your coach has passed it's annual, why not run it across a set of public scales and find out it's weight?  That way, you'll know how far you are from it's GVW (which is 32K, btw, per federal bridge law), plus an added bonus - you'll be able to set your tire pressures more accurately, too!  Weigh it in "ready-to-roll" trim, with full tanks and "stuff".

The federal bridge laws, unless they've been changed, were 12K max on the steer axle, and 20K max on the drive for a two axle vehicle.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: