Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 20, 2014, 06:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wood for interior  (Read 4723 times)
musicman

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2007, 03:14:47 PM »

Well guys It looks like cedar is out..What would you guys suggest and where can I find pics of coach interiors that have been custom done..I want that rough wood look but havent really seen anything to write home about...I dont like Mahogany or
Oak..I want that rustic look without it looking like a wonder moose lodge or what ever they call it...What about Knotty pine or air dried Cypress?...I would appreciate some ideas and help...I ordered 3.. 4x8 sheets of copper today..I dont even want to talk about that... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked..Lets just say they sure are proud of that stuff
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 03:23:39 PM »

I have no clue on the wood working, Cody is the man for that answer.  But, I can't wait to see the pics of the shower when you finish. I expect the copper will  look awesome.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 03:32:21 PM »

I have an old slabsided jenny lynn  barn about 150 years old that I need to tear down. That would give you a genuine rustic look and I could almost guarantee you that there would not be another one around like it. LOL
BTW, you mentioned something about weight and i really do not think any kind of interior you use would create a weight problem. My Eagle was finished in solid myrtle wood and only weighed about 40,000 pounds when completed. Mytle wood is one of the heaviest woods in the world and a fresh cut log will not float.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Dreamscape

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 03:39:32 PM »

If you want duability you should use a hardwood. I know you don't like oak or mahogany, but they would be your better choices. Also most readily available at most box stores and local lumberyards. Redwood in nice, but it is a soft wood also, along with pine and fir. Also, the woods I have listed are easier to work with. If you want something differant try black walnut. It's just a very dark wood, very hard but pretty. Just finish it with linseed oil. I worked in a lumber yard when I was young, and those were the choices then, and now from what I have seen. Too mcuh dark wood and the coach will look small. Just my two cents.

Cody will give you more suggestions I am sure.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:51:32 PM »

You could use hickory.  If you get hickory with heart and sapwood it can have a wide range of coloration on each board, it will look rustic and it is very hard and durable.  You will have to purchase it from a specialty lumber company.  Also not many folks use it, so you can be different.  I just finish trimmed a house that had hickory floors and they were good looking. 

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 04:02:19 PM »

Musicman,

You can use anykind of wood you want.

Just use it as a veneer over a good stable cabinet grade plywood, preferably poplar since it's a very stable and easy to work with wood.

The problem with using a solid wood is that it will swell and shrink with humidity which could cause drawers to stick, cracks to form, and screws to loosen.

Yes, I know, many people use solid wood, and some of it is a very good choice, but there IS a whole different skill set needed when building with hard wood.

However you do it, have fun and keep lots of bandaids on hand.

Dallas

I see Buddydawg posted while I was writing this and mentioned Hickory. If you choose to go that route, I know a fellow in NE South Carolina that has a big pile of Hickory slabs, all rough cut and ready to surface.

Another thought, use some of the flitches that are left from the veneer making process. Usually those sell very cheap or are given away free.

DF
cody

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 04:06:26 PM »

The selection of wood is almost endless, depending on how deep the pockets are, one of the woods I like and hate to work with is birdseye maple, it is difficult to work with because of the eyes but finishes out nicely with a very unusual patterning to it.  Hickory has been mentioned and if you get heartwood it's not only easy to work with, it looks great.  I did a set of cabinets for a home out of rosewood, turned out great but has a slightly dark red tint to it, cherry also makes a great cabinet, especially if its quartersawn, gives some depth to the grain. another great wood to work with and finishes nicely is Koa, many of the exotics give a great end result but are costly, the nice thing about them is the amount needed to dress out a bus is not going to break the bank and will give you the bus that nobody else has.  As a thought, concider a knotty pine ceiling made out of 3/8inch thick wainscotting (bends easily around the contours) with birdseye maple cabinetry, very light colored interior depending on the stain used but distinctive and different, you will need color that can be added by the furniture and floor coverings, just some thoughts on it.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:07:25 PM »

Hardwood is the way to go to me. BUT also remember to rout every edge and every outside corner. My head is alot softer than the Missouri hardwood my interior is may of. Thank goodness that Sam Caylor put a 1/2 " radius on all edges.

Gary
P.S. Please no follow posts on the soft headed statement ....

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »

Have you looked at MAC's Moose cabins?
http://www.motorcabin.com/

Might give you some ideas.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »

I am going to do my next bus in cypress.  We built a church in Noxapater and finished the interior in sheetrock and cypress.  Most beautiful church I've ever seen. 

One of our members had plenty of cypress on his property and he milled it and dried it for us.  IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
musicman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 04:27:55 PM »

Dont get me started about the Barm wood I will be there tearing it down since it was my first choice and it has that aged grey weathered look..I also have a plainer than can handle 16 inch boards and My sander can as well..I just dont want the average everyday run of the mill coach...This will be my last coach to build and I want it to stand out..Ive seen interiors built out of swamp cypress and barn wood and it almost takes your breath away, because they are so nice..But not in a coach So I wanna be the first...I have my shop Smith 5 So I can build anything..I just want it to be durable..Thanks guys for the ideas, Guess I still have alot to thunk about
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 04:29:42 PM »

I used Birch covered furniture grade 3/4" plywood straight from Home Depot.  Looks almost like Oak, but not quite.  3/4" allowed me to do all my walls without studs-hence squeezing a few more inches out of the floor plan.  This plywood is really great to work with, doesn't have gapping holes in the middle plys, and verithanes up really nice with a beautiful grain pattern to it.  
My cabinets are framed in true 3/4" x 2" white oak though.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »

I live about 40 miles from the local Mills Pride cabinet factory and have access to their out of dimension lumber.

I bought 631 bd ft of rough cut white oak from them for $30.00.
They sell it by the pallet load  and most of the loads are 700 to 750 bd ft.

I've already done the closet above the engine and it looks great. I really like the looks of white oak.

It turned out so well I may do the kitchen cabinets also.
(I'm kinda new to woodworking)

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
musicman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 07:01:08 PM »

I just talked to a guy who made his cabinets for his house out of hand rubbed Maple with European hinges and they were beautiful and shiny..He also said he had built 2 many uppers and had them in the barn and I could have them..They aint shiny or pretty just raw maple cabinets, So Since he gave me about half of the cabinets I need for free I guess Im going to build the lowers out of Maple..They arent stained just raw maple cabinets..I might use a medium stain with the poly in it and hand sand them in between coats..Im like a kid at Christmas...Can I open my presents yet,,HUH can I please..Since this is my last year with my current employer Im going to be able to devote 24/7/365 to this coach..I dont drink but I might start
cody

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 07:06:28 PM »

If he put a hand rubbed finish on them he probably put whats called a "french polish", that very difficult to do but will last forever, it's hand rubbed linseed oil.  They used to use it for custom gunstocks and the finer grades of furniture. The steps are time consuming and labor intensive but if you have the time to devote to it the end result is unlike any other finish.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: