Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:46:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: windsheild replacement  (Read 1766 times)
coolbus

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2007, 06:38:08 PM »

My bus needs both windshields repaced because of rock chips / cracks. It's a 1968 Prevost Champion. The previous owner told me that the windshields are the same glass as the later Prevost side glass. Is this possible? Seems like I may have a decent chance at buying some other converters extra side glass that they are 'skinning over'. Anybody heard of this?

Thanks!

Mark
kysteve

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 02:22:02 AM »

Mark,

You may be on to something.  I had a bus mechanic (and he only allways worked on buses) that had 50 years or so on buses tell me that the windshield in my eagle was the same as the side glass in the prevost in that era.  Now I'm not saying I agree with him (yet) as I haven't done any research on this yet.  I think its well worth investigating into to see what parts are interchangeable on all these buses. Hope this helps.........Steve .........
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 03:24:56 AM »

I have no clue as to whether or not they are the same glass or not. But if you find out that they are I know where you can get a bunch of them for ethier little of nothing or maybe even free! Yes that's right maybe free! I'll call today and check on it! If it's true you'll need to either pick 'm up in Des Moines, IA or pay shipping and hadling fees I'm sure! Last time I heard he was giving 2 complete sets away! I won't be able have internet access until tonight again until I get to Kansas City (Overland Park to be exact!) FWIW! BK  Grin                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 03:48:58 AM »

Hi Guys,
Even if the side windows are the same size as the windshields in a Prevost, the side windows,at least from my Prevost, are too darkly tinted to be useable as windshields. Try Prevost Parts or your local glass company for new windshields, they are not that expensive. The last windshields I bought for our GM 4106 were $126 each, which I was told are also the same as the 96" wide Prevost windshields.
Good luck, Sam 4106.

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
rip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:04:18 AM »

I just bought a windshield for my 85 Provost from Prevost for $175.00 including shipping.And yes my side windows are the same size as the windshield,but are tinted way to dark to use for windshield.
steveggt

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:23:04 PM »

Howdy!

If you have a Prevost Champion, then you CANNOT interchange the windshields with the side windows.  Your side windows are parallelogram-shaped...similar in style to a GMC 4104/4106/buffalo/fishbowl transit.  HOWEVER, a Prevost Prestige and a narrow-body (96" wide) Prevost LeMirage or LeMirage XL can interchange windshields with the side windows.  But, like the other listmembers posted, the side windows are tinted, and the windshields are clear.  Here's the cool part, a Prevost Prestige, Champion, narrow-body LeMirage, and narrow-body LeMirage XL can use the same windshields as a GMC 4104/4106 and any buffalo (4107/4108/4903/4905)...and the windshields are "ambidextrous" (sp?) meaning that, for example you can take a left windshield, flip it over, and it will fit on the right.  Hope this helps, and good luck!  Best regards - Steve
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:54:54 PM »

Steve is right ,,, you will have to buy them from Prevost Car. I change mine out 2 years ago ... I think they were around $250 CND ea. The right side and left side are interchangable. I have found that Prevosts prices are very good they are in line with parts store for the same item and they ship for free.

Ron

PS My Prevo is the same as yours. The difference between a Prevost Marathon and Prevost Champion is the side widows. Marathons window were straight not parallelogram.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:57:53 PM by prevost82 » Logged
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 06:39:44 AM »

you can also buy from www,curvedglassdist.com

there is also another company transit glass I believe.

scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »

Yes the Prevost side windows will be too dark for the windshield to use them and dark limo style tint is against the law in a lot of states for use on a windshield. Also if I remember correctly from a previous post the clear windshield is laminated safety glass which will not fall apart if broken or chipped. The side glass can break up into little pieces just like the side or rear windows in a car etc.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
lloyd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 12:01:04 PM »

Scanzel, is correct about the front windshield being a safety glass, do you if the side glass is a safety glass also? If it is not I wouldn't use it because they shatter into tiny pieces with one rock hit.
Lloyd
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 12:05:23 PM »

Side window on a champion are flat glass front window are curved ...so wouldn't work anyway.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »

answer is the Champion front glass is thae same as the Le Mirage.

the side windows will not work as they are tinted too dark.

this glass is thae same windshield glass as the GM 4104, 4106,4107,4108,4903,4905

it's avialbale from Prevost, Curvedglassdist.com and transitglass
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: