Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 06:53:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a regular glass shop replace flat glass in bus window?  (Read 5833 times)
belfert

« on: May 11, 2006, 06:08:06 PM »

I broke a side window on my bus.  Can a regular glass shop replace the glass since it is just flat glass?  I certainly am not going to pay MCI over $400 for the glass if I can help it.  I was probably not going to cover any windows, but this may have changed my mind on that.

My friend and I removed the interior trim rings on the windows so we could strip the interior.  My friend didn't think the trim rings held in the windows, but obviously he was wrong since a window fell out.

Brian Elfert
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 06:10:24 PM »

You should have no problem getting an automotive glass place to replace the glass.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
DrDave

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:27:49 PM »

I broke a side window on my bus.  Can a regular glass shop replace the glass since it is just flat glass?  I certainly am not going to pay MCI over $400 for the glass if I can help it.  I was probably not going to cover any windows, but this may have changed my mind on that.

My friend and I removed the interior trim rings on the windows so we could strip the interior.  My friend didn't think the trim rings held in the windows, but obviously he was wrong since a window fell out.

Brian Elfert

Your local glass shop may not have "automotive" type glass which is laminated and does not shatter into sharp bits, they may try to sell you "tempered" glass which will shatter or even explode.

Automotive approved glass has a D.O.T. rating, AS-1 for Windshields, AS-2 for Drivers side glass and I think I saw AS-5 in Bus applications
for passenger windows. Those were Lexan though.

But on the otherhand, I had some Prevost double pane curved windows brand new takeouts that when tapped just right would
explode into a million little bits leaving only the attaching bar and insulating rubber.
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »

Any glass shop can fix your. window. You need only go to an auto glass shop if you need them to remove the glass from the frame for you.

AS-1, or auto safety glass-type 1, would be used for windshields and have a vinyl interlayer thickness of .030. AS-2 is used for auto side lites and has .060. Tempered glass is just that, regular glass that is heat treated, inctreasing it's strength by approximatly 4 fold. The only way tempered glass can break is by "exploding", it breaks into very small pieces thus being safer than regular glass and is used in most newer cars today. The big disadvantage of tempered glass is that it will not keep you in the bus during an accident as laminated would have. There is not a piece of laminated available for a reasonable price in the thickness you would need that would be unsafe.

Phil Zisakis
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 07:02:07 PM »

What type of MCI are we talking about?
I could not give away the windows from my 9.
I threw them away for recycling.
I'm sure there are other people here that still have them laying around.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
belfert

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 08:14:40 PM »

What type of MCI are we talking about?
I could not give away the windows from my 9.
I threw them away for recycling.
I'm sure there are other people here that still have them laying around.

Not an MCI, but a Dina.  MCI sold the Dina coaches in the USA and provides the parts.  Dina owned MCI for 4 or 5 years so MCI sold Dinas in the USA during that time as an alternative to the more expensive MCI coaches.

Brian Elfert
belfert

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 08:25:24 PM »

Any glass shop can fix your. window. You need only go to an auto glass shop if you need them to remove the glass from the frame for you.

AS-1, or auto safety glass-type 1, would be used for windshields and have a vinyl interlayer thickness of .030. AS-2 is used for auto side lites and has .060. Tempered glass is just that, regular glass that is heat treated, inctreasing it's strength by approximatly 4 fold. The only way tempered glass can break is by "exploding", it breaks into very small pieces thus being safer than regular glass and is used in most newer cars today. The big disadvantage of tempered glass is that it will not keep you in the bus during an accident as laminated would have. There is not a piece of laminated available for a reasonable price in the thickness you would need that would be unsafe.

The glass right now is out of the window frame since it broke into a million little pieces.  I'm pretty sure this is tempered glass based on your description.  Would a regular glass shop instead of an auto glass shop be able to get the glass back into the frame?

The glass was thermopane, but I would like to get single pane if possible to save on costs as thermopane is very expensive and I doubt I will ever make up the cost iin energy savings.

Brian Elfert
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »

Hi;  Been there, done that.  After spending almost $200 for replacement glass at our local glass shop, I
       did not like the look.  Origional glass is tinted.  Tried local glass tint shop.  Found green was not
       available. Ended up finding another MC-7 being parted out and bought the whole window/sash
       assembly.  Perhaps you can ask around and maybe some one will give you just what you need.
       Mean time you could use metal filler panel for tempory use.      Good luck.
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 01:51:05 AM »

The most expenxive part of the job for the glass shop is dealing with you. If you walk in with a pattern or an exact size and overall thickness of the dual glaze unit, you will not pay that much. If you are in the so cal area I would be happy to help you out. I am not very familiar with MCI's but I would assume you need solex over clear. If this is the case some of the broken will look green and some clear. If it is all light green it would be solex over solex. Make your best guess and call around. When you go to pay the deposit, bring some broken glass with you and have the guy verify you are ordering correctly. Also specify what color the spacer is that is between the two pieces of glass.

The most common color's are grey, bronze, and green, (solex). All these are available in reflective metallic. Those are all the common tints, none are all that expensive.
belfert

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 05:09:26 AM »

The most expenxive part of the job for the glass shop is dealing with you. If you walk in with a pattern or an exact size and overall thickness of the dual glaze unit, you will not pay that much. If you are in the so cal area I would be happy to help you out. I am not very familiar with MCI's but I would assume you need solex over clear. If this is the case some of the broken will look green and some clear. If it is all light green it would be solex over solex. Make your best guess and call around. When you go to pay the deposit, bring some broken glass with you and have the guy verify you are ordering correctly. Also specify what color the spacer is that is between the two pieces of glass.

The most common color's are grey, bronze, and green, (solex). All these are available in reflective metallic. Those are all the common tints, none are all that expensive.

I still have a number of identical windows on the bus.  Would it be best to just bring the bus over to a glass shop so they could measure from a good window?

I'm going to talk to JD over at C&J Bus Repair today to see where he says to go for glass.

Brian Elfert
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 05:20:00 AM »

if you think 400 for a side window is bad.....pray you don't break one of them mexican windshields, or get a chip isn a bad spot
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »

If you want the glass shop to make the pattern for you you will have to pay more. The window I am picturing is rectangular. What kind of mci do you have? Exactly which one is broken What size is it exactly? How thick was it exactly? What color does it appear to be? Call who your friend recomends but call a few others too.

"Hi, I'd like to get a quote on a insulated glass unit 34" X 42" greylite over clear, tempered, 1" overall thickness" will get you a rock bottom quote.

If you give me some more info I can help you. used one for cheap is good way to go too.
belfert

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 07:41:11 PM »

If you want the glass shop to make the pattern for you you will have to pay more. The window I am picturing is rectangular. What kind of mci do you have? Exactly which one is broken What size is it exactly? How thick was it exactly? What color does it appear to be? Call who your friend recomends but call a few others too.

"Hi, I'd like to get a quote on a insulated glass unit 34" X 42" greylite over clear, tempered, 1" overall thickness" will get you a rock bottom quote.

If you give me some more info I can help you. used one for cheap is good way to go too.

I haven't bother measuring yet, especially with all the rain we are getting.  This is a Dina that was sold by MCI and all parts come from MCI. 

Brian Elfert
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 08:46:48 PM »

You did mention that before sorry. Ill still guess at 140.00 to 175.00
belfert

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »

You did mention that before sorry. Ill still guess at 140.00 to 175.00

If I really find glass for that price I may replace the glass in several windows because almost every window is fogged due to the thermopanes losing their seal.

Penninsela glass could sell me a whole sliding window with thermopane for what MCI wants just for the glass.  The only issue is MCI has free freight and I assume Penninsela does not.  I'm not sure I really want to spend the money on sliding windows as the windows were rarely opened in my old travel trailer.  It was usually too hot ot too dusty to open the windows.

Brian Elfert
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: