Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:28:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom labels for 12v switches  (Read 3750 times)
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 06:05:23 AM »

If you can give me the size you want and what it is to say I will run them on my laser cutter for you. Also what color lettering.
JimH
Just my way - your mileage may vary

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
cjm

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 01:41:46 PM »

Go to the office supply store and get overhead transparency sheets for laser printers.  Print and cut out.  If you don't have a laser printer, print your designs on regular paper and have them copy it onto the overhead transparency.  cheap, quick, and easy.  John
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 02:53:26 PM »

Maybe it will work for others, but I have been unsuccessful in my attempts in printing on transparency films. I have used two different HP ink jet printers and a Xerox 4517 laser printer.  In each instance I have used name brand transparency materials intended for the type of printing technology.

I have never been able to achieve an ink saturation that sufficiently blocks the light.  At night, with low level backlighting, the black regions still let light through and look a washout gray color.  I have cranked up the software print settings to dry to darken this up, but was never able to get an image that I would rate better than a C+.

I have also considered picking up a roll of high contrast B&W photographic film. I still have my old darkroom equipment stuffed away in boxes somewhere.  It should be possible to take shots of whatever labels or images I want and then turn 35mm film negatives into high quality switch labels.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 03:32:04 PM »

I was mainly thinking of printing on paper for a diffuse the light.  My monochrome LaserJet prints blacks that don't let light through.  Many come with 'economode' turned on in the software.  This is fine for normal text, but graphics with lots of blacks or dark greys don't look so well.  BTW, mine is a LJ 4000.  It's old but was a fairly high-end unit in its day, so maybe that's why it prints so well. 

David
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 04:29:44 PM »

Here is an online source for dry transfer lettering in black or white and many different sizes.  They also have many symbols, lines, brackets, arrows.

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/photographic/graphics.aspx

As an example, 3/4 of the way down the page is "White or Black Transfer Letters (Lower and Upper cases), Helvetica Medium".  This is a good font for switches and panels.  It is available in 8pt to 36pt.
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »

Here are the type switches I'll be using. I'll work something out if Carling or a salvage yard can't help me find the labels I want.

However as of Thursday afternoon, I learned TAC has 95% of the switches I want, labeled as I want, for about $155, so I'm betting they get the bulk of my biz.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

http://www.zoto.com/site/#USR.jsbird69::PAG.detail::ad9ade178cf19f91f45ccd907c7cd997
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 09:51:05 PM by TomCat » Logged

On The High Plains of Colorado
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: