Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a regular glass shop replace flat glass in bus window?  (Read 5979 times)
Dallas

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2006, 02:06:39 PM »

Brian,
Here are a couple of thoughts, not really gospel, but take it as you will.
Store Bought Glass:
Did you know you can cut your own?
It's simple. Figure out what size you need for your frame. Buy or rent a sand blaster, obtain a piece of glass that is larger than what you need. (Wrecking yards are a good option). Find the coarsest sand you can get for cutting glass, I think that's carborundum. Don't quote me on that. Tape off the glass with masking tape so it matches what you need and then sand blast it until you get to the plastic liner in the middle. Now turn it over and do the same thing again. Next, cut the plastic middle with a utility knife. Sand off the edges, and WAA- LAA. a piece of custom glass. I helped a guy cut a windshield for a Ford Falcon back in the 60's doing that, he was chopping and channeling and doing all kinds of things.
Fogged glass.
this doesn't work every time, but is pretty cool when it does.
Get two clothing irons, steam or not, doesn't matter. You want them to work dry.
Have a helper stand on one side of the glass while it's still in the bus, and you stand on the other side. Now both of you apply the iron and turn it on as high as it will go.
Slowly, work your way around the fog area. I did this on a couple of old trucks and buses I owned and it worked well.
Dallas
Again, Waa-Laa, No Fog!
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 10:17:40 PM »

Or you could use a glass cutter, I usually charge $5.00 to 20.00 a cut, more for curved windshields. Tempered glass can not be cut at all, not with a sandblaster, not underwater, not if you cut slow over a period of weeks. The most it can be altered is maybe a 1/4" of an edge with a wet sander

Give me the size and color and I will tell you how much you should pay. If you want a bunch, you can really get a good deal. If it is rectangular, all they have to do is pick up the phone.

Know what you want

Be ready to order if you get a good deal

Pay in cash 1/2 as a deposit the rest when you pick them up

This is easy money for a glass shop,give me some info and I will help. I have received alot of help from this board, this is my chance contribute. If you dont feel like measuring then tell me the color, the shape, and how thick the total unit is and I will give you a price per square foot on what is a fair price to pay.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: