Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 05:44:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing turn & Stop lamps to LED  (Read 5772 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 10:15:55 AM »

I failed to say that I was able to completely rehab the back taillight system including polishing the housings, building watertight connections and purchase the 6 LEDs for less that $250.00. As mentioned before the LEDs have a lifetime warranty.  A far cry from the $1600.00 + price and other much more expensive options I have seen.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 04:13:04 PM »

I failed to say that I was able to completely rehab the back taillight system including polishing the housings, building watertight connections and purchase the 6 LEDs for less that $250.00. As mentioned before the LEDs have a lifetime warranty.  A far cry from the $1600.00 + price and other much more expensive options I have seen.

Grant

I'm following your lead on this.  I have yet to figure out how they price bus parts.  The parts that I think should be expensive are dirt cheap and the parts that you'd think are common, almost "auto parts store" type parts are out of sight.  Hell, I could side my house with MC9 windshields almost cheaper than real siding. Smiley  A windshield is cheaper than a front marker light assembly.  Go figure.
belfert

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 05:28:17 AM »

This is sorta off the topic, but who makes good LED marker lights?  Gumpy bought some that are junk and I want to avoid that.

I am missing one marker light completely and another one only works with the turn signal, but not the parking lights.  Since I need replacements, I might as well go LED.

Brian Elfert
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 06:40:24 AM »

This is sorta off the topic, but who makes good LED marker lights?  Gumpy bought some that are junk and I want to avoid that.

I am missing one marker light completely and another one only works with the turn signal, but not the parking lights.  Since I need replacements, I might as well go LED.

Brian Elfert
Brian, 2 names come to mind on this first check with J.D. since he is so close. Also call Rich at International Bus Parts I don't have his # handy but I know he advertises and post's here regularly so the # is here somewhere or I'll bet Jack Conrad or some of the others know it by heart! Knuckle

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 07:38:51 AM »

[Brian, 2 names come to mind on this first check with J.D. since he is so close. Also call Rich at International Bus Parts I don't have his # handy but I know he advertises and post's here regularly so the # is here somewhere or I'll bet Jack Conrad or some of the others know it by heart! Knuckle

JD and Rich probably have the right parts, but the price might be a premium.  I'm hoping to get some other options.  I'll probably call IBP today.

Brian Elfert
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 08:08:24 AM »

For  marker lights, I'd just get some ultrabright leds and the correct resistor, remove the bulb from your current marker light and solder the LED in.  If you scuff the LED up with sandpaper it will emit light in all directions and it works really well.
Cost: Under 25c each !  I did this on my Crown and it's simple, reliable, and easy to do (if you can solder)

For red, get these: http://cgi.ebay.com/PURE-Yellow-LEDs-20PCS-x-5000MCD-Ultra-Bright-5mm-Led_W0QQitemZ7618983512QQcategoryZ66953QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
For amber, get these: http://cgi.ebay.com/PURE-RED-LEDs-20PCS-x-8000MCD-Ultra-Bright-5mm-Led_W0QQitemZ7618983442QQcategoryZ66948QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The above LEds are $3.24 for twenty, free shiping from Hong Kong. I've used this seller many times before and he's reliable and has great product.

For the resistors, use 470 ohms on 12 volt systems and 1K on 24 volt systems.  1/4 watt size is fine for either.

The LED's have polarity- the longer of it's two leads goes to (+). The resistor goes in series with the LED and can be put on either lead.

BTW, legal or not, I also added a second yellow LED into my front markers that are on the front- left and right sides, and hooked them to the turn signals.  The LED's  add  a great turn signal feature to the side markers without having to put on more doodahs on the side of the bus.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 08:12:26 AM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
belfert

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 08:47:16 AM »

I've seen LED marker lights for like $7 so trying to save a buck by making my own doesn't really make sense.  Besides, I am missing the entire marker light assembly on one side so I have to replace that.

My Dina is wired from the factory for the rear side marker lights to blink when the turn signal is activated so I presume it is legal to do so.

Brian Elfert
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 10:23:23 AM »

Well for me, $7 vs 25c times 13 markers is a lot of bucks.  And I preserved the original look by not sticking new markers on my '62 bus.
But that's just "my way".. of course new ones might be simpler for some...

Smiley

Gary

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 02:12:52 PM »

You have to take into accout=nt that that is an entire upgrade to MCI96/102A3 tailights, including new rear corner pannels.

Ross

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 02:42:35 PM »

For  marker lights, I'd just get some ultrabright leds and the correct resistor, remove the bulb from your current marker light and solder the LED in.  If you scuff the LED up with sandpaper it will emit light in all directions and it works really well.
Cost: Under 25c each !  I did this on my Crown and it's simple, reliable, and easy to do (if you can solder)

For red, get these: http://http://cgi.ebay.com/PURE-Yellow-LEDs-20PCS-x-5000MCD-Ultra-Bright-5mm-Led_W0QQitemZ7618983512QQcategoryZ66953QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
For amber, get these: http://http://cgi.ebay.com/PURE-RED-LEDs-20PCS-x-8000MCD-Ultra-Bright-5mm-Led_W0QQitemZ7618983442QQcategoryZ66948QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The above LEds are $3.24 for twenty, free shiping from Hong Kong. I've used this seller many times before and he's reliable and has great product.

For the resistors, use 470 ohms on 12 volt systems and 1K on 24 volt systems.  1/4 watt size is fine for either.

The LED's have polarity- the longer of it's two leads goes to (+). The resistor goes in series with the LED and can be put on either lead.

BTW, legal or not, I also added a second yellow LED into my front markers that are on the front- left and right sides, and hooked them to the turn signals.  The LED's  add  a great turn signal feature to the side markers without having to put on more doodahs on the side of the bus.

How many LED's did you use for each light?  I'm guessing you did an array and not just one LED per light.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »

Check Digikey.com, also. They have a good selection and are American, so shipping is typically faster than from HK. Not sure how their prices compare to the HK link. That's a pretty good price on them, including free shipping.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 10:19:39 AM »

Ross, I used just ONE Led per marker. Mine were 5000mcd intensity.  These days the ultrabright LED's are just what they are advertised to be... damned bright.  My single LED markers are actually brighter than the old bulbs used to be.  In fact these days you have to be careful not to get an LED that is too bright... they're making some 10,000mcd+ ones and they could be too bright for a marker!!!  Those Leds that I recommended in my above post are well bright enough to do markers with, no problem!

Gumpy, yes Digikey is a good source but you'll pay a LOT more  with their minimum fees, etc, than that hong kong connection.  The Hong Kong items routinely arrive to me within 7 days of placing the order. 'bout as good as Digikey using UPS, but a lot cheaper....
I buy a lot from them and I'm nothing but happy with the service and the product.  Keep the middleman out of the loop!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 10:24:19 AM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2006, 03:51:19 PM »

led's from truck (whatever) great service, arrived in a matter of days and the cost was reasonable. Now the question I have after receiving the 4" red for tail lights on my MC8 should I have ordered the mounting plates also? Or will I be able to mount them as is. Has anyone done this yet? (silly question) With the mounting plates will I be able to mount them in the original tail light holes? please advise...
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2006, 06:12:01 PM »

Brian Elfert
Brian I must of mis-read this question, I thought you were asking where to get quality not cheap as you mentioned "Gumpy bought some that are junk and I want to aviod that" I was merely suggesting the 2 places I knew of that would stand behind what they sell you at the best deal they can make you! As I've always said about J.D., he is not afraid to tell you he can't save you $ on something fearing he'll ose a customer! That's why I call him and sometimes still buy from him even if it's a little cheaper else where, most times even with MCI's free shipping over $100 I still come out better buying from J.D. and paying the shipping myself! Also remember "cheap" ain't always "cheap" especially if ya gotta buy twice to get what ya wanted in the first place, don't get me wrong I like saving $ as much as the next guy but there is the ole saying "ya get what ya pay for!" And from what I've learned from being around buses, is that bus and cheap do not go together in the same sentence!  Just my opinion, don't mean to offend anyone just tell'n it the way I see it! Knuckle

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2006, 07:05:38 PM »

Brian I must of mis-read this question, I thought you were asking where to get quality not cheap as you mentioned "Gumpy bought some that are junk and I want to aviod that" I was merely suggesting the 2 places I knew of that would stand behind what they sell you at the best deal they can make you! As I've always said about J.D., he is not afraid to tell you he can't save you $ on something fearing he'll ose a customer! That's why I call him and sometimes still buy from him even if it's a little cheaper else where, most times even with MCI's free shipping over $100 I still come out better buying from J.D. and paying the shipping myself! Also remember "cheap" ain't always "cheap" especially if ya gotta buy twice to get what ya wanted in the first place, don't get me wrong I like saving $ as much as the next guy but there is the ole saying "ya get what ya pay for!" And from what I've learned from being around buses, is that bus and cheap do not go together in the same sentence!  Just my opinion, don't mean to offend anyone just tell'n it the way I see it! Knuckle

I have no idea if gumpy's marker lights were expensive or cheap.  He just said they aren't very good.

I found out the $7 lights didn't include everything to mount them so they are out.  I haven't had time to pursue the market lights any further yet.  I'll ask JD when I talk to him Monday or Tuesday about the repair parts he ordered for my bus.

I would hate to buy something from JD for say $20 each and find out they are available elsewhere at half the cost.  I'm converting a bus, not running a charter operation.  A charter operation needs to have parts right now and the cost is usually secondary when it means a trip might get cancelled.  I need to save money any reasonable way I can.

Brian Elfert
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: