Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 04:43:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrapping Exhaust  (Read 3058 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2007, 09:47:04 PM »

Is anyone using a heat blanket or wrapping, around the turbo charger, muffler or exhaust pipe trying to keep the heat out of the engine compartment.

E.H.P.   has some interesting items on there website: They claim to reduce by 50% to 75% the heat from the engine compartment.

http://www.engineheatprotection.com/index.html

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:29:42 PM »

Bill -

A tip from my days of playing with turbocharged Corvairs:

We used to wrap the exhaust up-stream of the turbo, but leave the down-stream side stock.  By doing so, it would help retain heat w/in the exhaust where it was needed, spinning the turbo a little bit faster and therefore creating a little more power.  (Basic physics - hotter the gas in an enclosed space = higher pressure.)  Simple and effective.

The larger exhaust pipe on the downstream side of the turbo does the following: gas exiting the turbine side expands, which creates a cooling and vacuum effect, reducing back pressure w/in the system, which allows the turbine to spin a little faster, creating more power.  Wrapping the exhaust side of the turbo with EHP or similar would defeat this process.

Biggest effect on cooling an MCI requires a very sophisticated variable device mounted 38' away at the front of the coach - providing, of course, that the cooling system is completely up to, or better than, OEM specifications.  This variable device requires constant calibration, plus the ability to react to changes induced by instrumentation sensors in a timely manner.  Failure to do so can rapidly create catastrophic conditions.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 06:55:16 AM »

I wrapped my turbo turbine and entire exhaust to keep the heat away from the fire wall and the bed upstairs, because at a couple of places, it is only a couple of inches away. Works really good.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Sojourner

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:36:34 AM »

Russ.....Amen to your post regarding to increase responsiveness power in 180 hp corvairs.
Back in 1960's a Lansing Michigan guy wrap his exhaust to turbo & put in Ford falcon piston that ran in 14's bracket at 103 mph.
Thanks Russ

So not only to keep heat down in engine compartment, it will improve fuel mileage & better responsiveness time. Diesel exhaust is must cooler then gas engine in normal driving but increase greatly while passing or accelerating.
Those who have turbo equips engine should take advantage of low cost improvement.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:57:41 AM »

I used it on my generator exhaust, works great.  I can hold my hand on the exhaust now.  I am going to wrap my engine exhaust also as soon as I get the $$$$$.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 12:29:49 PM »

Its cheap and it will make a noticeable difference in several areas.

Helped my fuel mileage about two tenths.  Dropped the temp in the engine bay by an unreal amount. Noticeable but slight difference in torque. When it dropped the air temp in the engine bay it also dropped my tranny temp a noticeable amount, no more check transmission lite when the wife runs a couple hours at 80 MPH.

Seems like someone challenged Wrico about a statement regarding 400 degree bay temps a while back. They didn't think that sounded right because the radiator only ran around 200 degrees. The small exhaust to turbo pipes radiate about 900 degrees unwrapped and my infrared gun reads around 150 degrees wrapped. Before I wrapped I could not open my engine doors and get near my engine and now its no problem.

Longacres Racing has the wrap I used and I only spent about $70. I have not wrapped the cold side of the turbo and may not although it would also help my engine bay temps. I think it may do more good to now wrap the intake side of the system from the turbo to the air cleaner, including the air cleaner, and the hose to the fresh air pickup in the back corner of the coach. Cool air is supposed to make power and I think I can drop the fresh air temp into the turbo about 100 degrees. Maybe there is another two tenths MPG hiding there.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 06:59:38 PM by NJT 5573 » Logged

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »

I used EHP wet blankets on both my old and new generators. The gen compartment was dangerously hot before I wrapped them, now they are just normal temps. The Al structure of my 4104 conducts heat at a ferocious rate when exposed to hot engine manifolds and exhaust pipes. The EHP wrap also makes the generator quieter.

Don't wrap the air intake for the engine unless it gets a lot of heat from the exhaust. The air intake needs to be protected from outside heat whereas the exhaust pipe needs to be covered to retain its heat. You don't want to cover the intake pipes if they get any cooling air from the outside of the pipes.

Wrapping the exhaust into and out of the turbo, and the turbo,  moves the heat out to the end of the exhaust which actually accelerates the exhaust and decreases back pressure. A good side effect of this is a cooler engine compartment.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 09:01:42 AM »

I wrapped my cross over exh pipe on my 8V71 with a manifold heat wrap they use on hot rods purchased at the local speed shop for $40.00. After several hours of running I can place my hand on the crossover pipe. I call that lowering the temp for little $.
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 11:05:52 PM »

Hi,  We used the wet wrap on the exhaust and muffler and a blanket on the turbo.  It dropped our engine temp by over 5 degrees and we can actually touch the engine compartment door.  Our engine compartment is complete closed in with the exception of the radiator.  We also added two bilge fans to pull the hot air off the ceiling of the engine compartment and blow it out under the bumper.  That gained another 5 degrees in temp drop.

Don and Cary
GMC 4107

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: