Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 11:28:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water pump not holding pressure  (Read 4309 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:55:14 PM »

I installed an Aquatek variable speed pump in my water system. On the trip last summer it started out working great. That was the first time I had used the coach since getting my water system functional. However, as the trip progressed, I noticed that the pump would turn on periodically when no water was being used. No leaks, so I deduced that the pump was leaking back. My father-in-law installed the same pump, and by the end of the trip he was having the same problem.

I called the company to see about sending them back, and the guy told me to pull it apart and look for debris inside, first. I recently pulled my water rack and main tank to fix the blown seam and replumb the valves, so while it is all out, I decided to check the pump. I pulled the head apart, and sure enough, I could what appears to be a glob of teflon thread tape stuck in the little flappers inside. Pulled it all out, cleaned up everything, and put it all back together.

I have a sediment filter on the hose inlet. No water can come into the bus without going through the sediment filter. I didn't think about crap that was left in the tank from when I built them, or pieces of teflon tape that may have escaped from a fitting. I've now installed a separate filter at the inlet to the pump.

I think that should take care of it. I'll know when I get it all put back in the bus.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:28:34 PM »

Craig,

You may have hit onto an intermittent problem I have had with my pump.

I also have a sediment filter and have heard mine run sometimes when no demand.

I just assembled mine in December. 

It only happens intermittently so it has been low on the list.

I will check it out tommorow.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 08:19:46 PM »

Craig,

I have the sureflo 5.7gpm variable, But I installed the extreme Strainer at the inlet.

My 2nd trip I noticed psi dropping, Found teflon tape and polly bits clogging the strainer as you also expierenced!

The strainer was a screw off and was a easy fix.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 05:40:30 AM »

The strainer I put inline is a Sureflo, if I recall correctly. I think it also comes apart, so that's good news.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Sojourner

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 10:49:57 AM »

After I read "gumpy" first paragraph....I was thinking possible strip of Teflon caught in pump's check valve.

It common problem for first 2 & 3 times to remove pieces of Teflon from check valve or serviceable pre-filler strainer.

Reason is a learning lesson to plumber....never start Teflon tape at start of tread but 1/8" after. So while screwing into fitting...Teflon will not expose loosely interally....or....whenever remove "Teflon taped" pipe or fitting remove out of fitting...you need to clean it all out...yes all of old or used Teflon partial out before re-Teflon tape over tread as per above instruction.

Teflon plumber paste in a can W/brush is better choice....make sure it PVC compatible.  Read label...I am sure by now it all PVC compatible.

About pre-filler to inlet of these check-valve or RV pump is very good preventive maintenance practice to avoid unnecessary tear down time. Because these contains 3 or 4 very small plastic check valves. Home type use one large metal one that will hammer out Teflon before repeating leakage.

Why I know because had same thing few times until learn what not to do. By the way General Motor Engineering Staff, ALL emission analyzers had to rebuilt remove all Teflon tape from fitting to start over correctly. Many solenoids leaking everywhere any time. Contain 100's of SS tubing & fitting per-console.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
belfert

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »

The cheapie Shurflo water pump in my travel trailer would occasionally start in the middle of the night or whenever.  I assumed this was normal as I had no leaks.  It wnet away when I added a 4 gallon accumulator tank.

Brian Elfert
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 07:01:21 PM »

I have been using teflon paste lately. It's a  little messy, but works better on the plastic pex fittings which are not tapered properly to seal on pipe thread.

I have two 2-gallon presssure tanks in the system, so my intermittent activation was not too bad, but if I shut off the pressure tanks, the pump would run about every minute or so.

Will be real interested to see how it does now without the pressure tanks turned on.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 05:03:35 AM »

My Shurflo came with a BIG warning NOT to use teflon tape at all for that reason.

I did it anyway, Smiley being careful, no problems so far but it hasn't been used that much.

The paste sounds worth trying.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 05:44:18 AM »

Here's an update on my water pump. On my trip to WY last week, I shut off the pump before heading out. When I got to Mitchell, SD, I stopped at Cabella's to dump what little there was in the waste tank from a previous trip. I hadn't used the water at all. That was about 5 or 6 hours from home, and the pressure was still at 60 psi in the water system.

I'm happy to say I did not hear the pump cycle one time without reason the whole week.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: