Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 06:43:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Size  (Read 10979 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 07:59:36 AM »

If you want to save money, run near new on the front axle, and a quality (Bandag) set of matched retreads on the rear.  Most of us do not run at 80mph for hours on end, and since heat it the big enemy hear, retreads on the rear would be fine.  It has been proven that 50% of the rubber you see on the road is from new tires.  Bottom line is keeping the pressure at the required setting to avoid overheating.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »

. . . .I'm cheap not stupid.
 I know some people seem to have better luck or maybe its skill. But from what I could find I would rather buy new.
 These are steer tires I am referring to. Although I would not have bought anything I saw for any position on my bus!

Jim, you are my kind of guy!  Grin
I think luck has more to do with it than skill.

I hear 'ya. I don't think I'd want used on the steers either.
I asked the guy that hauled my bus about the used tires & he said that once you find a good guy at the the tire store (not the A$$ hole) getting the used will be easier. He also said I may have to wait a little while for the right set to come in. He even offered to change his out a little early if I was gonna buy his used - that's why I suggested a smaller outfit.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 12:13:51 PM »

Coming from you I consider that a real compliment!!  Finding a good guy at the tire store is tough when you only buy tires every 6 or 7 years!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »

Coming from you I consider that a real compliment!! 

Who have you been talking to? What did they say?  Grin  Shocked  Cool

You have an AWESOME coach, so I'd use that to my advantage & drive it to a tire shop & see if someone there takes interest in it. Talk to them a little & see if you 'click'. If not, try another shop. City bus garages might be a good source for tire shop references too.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »

City bus garages generally are on leased rubber now days and only deal with their leasing rep.

Only problem with used rubber is you do not know the care of the tire....perhaps it gust took a sizeable curb hit.

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 04:52:21 PM »

". . . . perhaps it just took a sizeable curb hit"

That's true, but then it would match my other tires very well  Grin

If I get the rims I'm hoping to get, I'll be looking for 20" tires. I doubt I'll find those sitting on a local shelf.

The things we do for vanity  Shocked

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 05:26:14 PM »

That's true, but then it would match my other tires very well  Grin

If I get the rims I'm hoping to get, I'll be looking for 20" tires. I doubt I'll find those sitting on a local shelf.

Don't ya need to get 'm on the road before ya put those fancy ghetto wheels on 'm ? ! ? LOL

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 08:10:15 PM »

Damn BK, that was cold. If I wanted to hear abuse, I'd listen to my wife.  Shocked

I don't know about your buses, but mine need wheels & tires to move once they hit the road.  Grin

Besides, don't rush me, I'm pacing myself. Wouldn't want to get burned out 'ya know. Besides, I'm having too much fun collecting them!

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 08:52:52 PM »

Sorry!  Sad  I really didn't mean to be cold!  Just blunt! I really can't see anyone wanting to go back to 20"s these days! Except all those "Bling, Bling (look at me) - Ghetto rides" ya see putt'n 'round everywhere these days with 1-2 inch side walls on 20-24" wheels, clobbered up so high to get the wheels to fit that they'd cause you to rupture a kidney if ya went over 3 mph! Ya know $10,000.00 (+) dollars worth of wheel/tires on a $700.00 car! I really meant it as a joke (sorta, unless that's really what you had in mind spending $ on B4 making them road worthy but hey it's yer $, an yer buses! Do it yer way!) not to be harsh.

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 02:29:38 AM »

Hey Kyle,

Ummm, I just tossed two 20" split rim wheels with Kelly Highway tires when we left Honeydew.

I still have the 4 on the back of the bus though. 80% tread or better. As soon as I can find some decent 22.5's with good used rubber.... that I can afford, you can have them.

I like my split rims and wouldn't get rid of them but the bias ply tires cause that annoying "Thump, Thump, Thump" for at least 100 miles until they warm up and lose the flat spots.

Dallas
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 02:51:27 AM »

Michelin still has a XZE2 that is available from a 9.00 to a 12.00 width in steel radial.  But why would you want to run split rim tube type tires?  If it is for the time element from the 50's for your 4501, this would be one area I'd by all means pass on.  If you think the 12R-22.5 was hard to find on the road, the XZE2 will be even worse-Michelin only makes the one tire in tube size!  And-they are only rated to 65mph.  Please-keep it safe and stay with a proven modern tire that is currently available in the tubeless style.  Good Luck, TomC

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 05:39:49 AM »

I agree, use a modern tire, until you get your scenic to concourse level restoration and start showing it there is no need to be that correct, besides not even a scenic nut is going to fault you on using modern tires
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 06:10:30 AM »

I'm pre-selling tickets to kyle4501's  "HOOPDE SCENICRUISER MUSEUM"  opening simultaneously with the release of his new Rap 8-track  "Hound in da hood"    Cheesy

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 06:13:41 AM »

My MC-8 came with 11R-22.5's on the front and 295/75R-22.5 on the drive and tag axles.  I believe 295mm = 11.6".  Would having 'slightly' wider tires than original on the front cause any problems?  I'd like to have all the same size tires and that would mean putting 295's on the front most likely.  Also, what tire pressure would one use?  The plate in the bus has pressures for 11's and I believe 12's, but definitely not 295's.  Should I go by the max psi listed on the tire? 

David
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 09:04:54 AM »

David- the 295's are the standard of the industry now-even more so than the 11R's.  You'll sit about an inch lower with the 295's over the 11R's.  Both tire sizes have just about identical weight carrying capability, so that's not a problem-especially in our case where we are not even close to max carrying.  My bus for example is 5,000lb away from max gvw in full travelling form with both my wife and I inside and full tanks.  Compare that to most sticks and staples that are usually just a few hundred pounds from the factory BEFORE loading!
As to tire pressure, please get your bus weighed on a truck scale (CAT scales are at many truck stops) by axle when your bus is in travelling form with full tanks.  I can look up the tire pressures for you in my tire books if you'd like.  For instance, I weigh 10,500lb front, and 20,500lb rear.  While the tire inflation guide says I could run 80psi in front and 85psi in rear, I just run 90psi all around for a little extra cushion-but not hard enough to make the bus ride like a forklift.  Good Luck, TomC 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: