Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 10:09:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Size  (Read 11765 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2007, 10:16:19 AM »

Hey BK, no offense taken, I was just funnin' back  Wink
As for spending $$$, don't forget that I'm the nut that was given 3 scenicruisers! I can wait for the rims to be tossed my way.

Dallas, let me know when you need those rims hauled off, I'd welcome an excuse to visit with you & Bubbagal  Grin  I may even let that newbeemc9 feller tag along. . . We can have a good laugh when he tries to break-dance to "Hound in da hood"  Grin  Grin  Grin

BTW, wouldn't I have to actually drive my bus to hear the "Thump, Thump, Thump" ?  Shocked

The reason I want to run 20" splits is because I like the look of them. They look 'cleaner' & the tire looks better to me. I've already done some looking around & the 20" is available - If you don't mind waiting.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2007, 10:49:58 AM »

BTW, wouldn't I have to actually drive my bus to hear the "Thump, Thump, Thump" ?  Shocked

The reason I want to run 20" splits is because I like the look of them. They look 'cleaner' & the tire looks better to me. I've already done some looking around & the 20" is available - If you don't mind waiting.

On the Thump, Thump, Thump! There are several ways to accomplish this! If ya wanna make it where folks outside the bus hear it louder than inside then you just drive it on flat tires! LOL! And if ya just wanna make it go Thump, Thump, Thump to where it annoys those inside and out put about 4 concert stack speakers driven by a guitar amp in the luggage bays! LOL!

As for the 20" split aluminums ? those do look good! I never realized they even made a 20" split aluminum wheel! the only 20" wheel I ever had any experience with was the 10:00-20 Dayton wheels we had on our dump trucks back in the '80's and B4 (much B4! LOL!) I have seen a few 20" "BUD" style split wheels also! And I have always hated split wheels! PERIOD! But I have to admit those do look nice!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 12:38:10 PM »

David, that might explain your baggage door damage.

that bus would have come from MCi with 12rx22.5's all the way around, the 11's are a bit lower profile and the 295's even moreso.

Kyle, do you have a shop that will work on the splits.

We don't have anyone who will anymore in central PA.

Point of interest.  I am not sure when they stoped, but the Silversides was delivered with a greyhound proprietary tire size, supposedly to deter tire theft.

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »

Kyle, do you have a shop that will work on the splits.
Yep, ME. I've even got the tire cage too. To me, it's not that big of a deal to change the splits.
We don't have anyone who will anymore in central PA.
Yet one more reason to not live there.  Grin There's several places around here that said they will change them.

We sometimes do odd things for vanity. My attitude towards the splits may change, but that is the way I want to go for now.

If I had listened to the nay-sayers, I'd have never bought a scenicruiser. I liked it then & still do. As for those that said that parts were unavailable & super expensive, MY experience doesn't back that up. Sure, some stuff is difficult to get & some you have to have custom made - BUT - that has provided some of the most fun so far AND allowed me to meet a lot of GREAT people (& a few not so great).

Enjoy your hobby in a way that brings you the most rewards!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »

We sometimes do odd things for vanity. My attitude towards the splits may change, but that is the way I want to go for now

good answer!

and if you have people that will work on the splits and can get tires.....go for it.

what do 20's cost these days?

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »

what do 20's cost these days?

Same as other sizes - TOO MUCH !

Seriousy tho, it's been a while since I looked, but they were in the same $$ range from what I remember.
I'm gonna wait till all else is done before I buy tires, don't want to hit the road with new tires past their expiration date

Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2007, 08:37:02 AM »

The new tires went on the 4107 yesterday.  In Dallas, TX, ended up with Firestone FS560 Plus, went with 11R22.5's, for a total of $2,050.  All six, mounted - fronts only dynamically balanced.  I'll see how she rides to see if I want to have the rears balanced --  only $22.50 per tire for balancing.

I'd mentioned earlier what the thought pattern was.  The 12R22.5's turn below the 495 revs/mile, more top speed but making first and reverse (stick) a little taller.  The 11R's turn at 503 revs/mile, a little gentler on starting.  I normally drive at or below the speed limit,so I don't need a high speed coach - and smooth driving fosters fuel economy.  11R's more available on the road.  The original price for 12R's (from the vendor I used) was just under $2400 - so I saved about $350.  Interestingly, the $2050, if divided by six tires is $341 average cost per tire.   

But now, I have to recalibrate my speedometer (if it can be recalibrated).  Since I normally travel with a GPS, I can turn it to a function that gives me an accurate speed readout - and that'll give me the rough offset. 

In other good news, I haven't started the coach since February.  The only reason I started her then was to move from one storage slot to a much better one (and it was fun doing so just 2-3 weeks after surgery).  The last 2-3 times we've been over to work on the interior, I'd hooked up a battery charger to the coach start batteries.  Yesterday, turned battery switches on (yes, I'd checked fluids, etc.) - and she started better after sitting for five months than my Lincoln does after sitting at the airport for five days.  Rrr, Rrr, fire.  I guess she was bored with the view, and wanted to get on the road.  I finished the pretrip, and off we went.

Kyle, my spare is on a 20" split rim.  I intend to pick up a new rim, and put a used 11R22.5 on it (good takeoffs were available for $100, so I was going to purchase one if I had the proper wheel in the spare compartment.  I don't know when I'll get to it, but you can have the 20" split when I do - although shipping may be pricy.

Thanks to all here for helping me make the final decision.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: