Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 08:37:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is approved oil for Detroit  (Read 3489 times)
belfert

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 02:08:04 PM »

I'm not sure how Sean comes up with three dozen DD dealers in the USA.  I count 151 on Detroit's website listed as providing service for DD engines.

Trnasynd is not the only ATF that meets Allison specs for extended drain intervals.  There are four other fluids that Allison has tested and meet their TES-295 specification.  Now, I have never been able to find anyone who carries any of the four.

There is a truck parts place near me that carries Transynd in gallons and has the best price I have ever found.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 04:19:07 PM »

Darrin,

There was a thread a while back either here or at BNO that said Delo 100 had been discontinued because another company bought out Chevron and already had identical oil in their brand. I haven't been able to find it either but Rotella-T 40W is easy to find.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 06:32:49 PM »

I'm not sure how Sean comes up with three dozen DD dealers in the USA.  I count 151 on Detroit's website listed as providing service for DD engines.

Trnasynd is not the only ATF that meets Allison specs for extended drain intervals.  There are four other fluids that Allison has tested and meet their TES-295 specification.  Now, I have never been able to find anyone who carries any of the four.

Brian,

When I opened my guide (.pdf format), I somehow counted only one page (of three).

There are, actually, 107 (if I counted right this time) DD distributors in the lower 48.  I stand corrected, but there's still never one near where I need it to be.  For example, I could use one right now in Santa Fe, but the nearest is in Albuquerque.  And there is not a single one within 30 miles of my planned route from here to Nashville.  By contrast, I pass NAPA stores all the time, and about half of them (in my experience) have Rotella-T 40 in stock.  YMMV.

TranSynd is absolutely the only fluid that meets the Allison spec for extended drain.  Allison destroyed the test stand after certifying the Castrol product, to the ire of many competitors.  This fiasco has been well documented, and debated to death.  The four "other" fluids listed as meeting the spec are actually Castrol TranSynd re-branded through cooperative marketing agreements.  Castrol is the only manufacturer.  (That being said, the mere fact that it is available through these other channels does put competitive pressure on the price.)  FWIW.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 07:21:24 PM »

It's not my intention to sound rude, crude or anything other than being helpful on this topic. C'mon guys, we're all adults and know that at some time or another our buses are going to need an oil change.

Most of the Detroit's require in the area of 7 gallons for each change..some more..doubtful many.... less.

How is it that we can plan a complete conversion and not take into consideration that an oil change is upcoming and plan for it...and perhaps allow a local vendor the time to order in the amount of oil we're going to need?

Some time back I was fortunate to find that JR Lynch had made a mistake and ordered more oil than he needed and thus was able to buy a few cases from him at a good price.  I didn't question anything...just went over to Charlotte and paid him and brought it back.

I changed my engine oil last fall and still have enough for all the traveling I do and still have enough for the next oil change.

Let's say it's $60 a case today.  What is the problem with putting an extra case aside for topping off and still have enough for next year's oil change...it won't turn into sauerkraut!

None of us would find ourselves broken down on the side of the road without a set of fuel filters would we? Even though we change them religiously at the proper interval?

I may not endear myself to some but...let's grow up and plan for those things which we know need to be done and plan for them by putting aside the materials we need to ....Keep on Busin'!

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 08:05:46 PM »

Just exactly where, Bob, would you suggest I "set aside" an extra case or two?

And just where is my "local" vendor?

Notwithstanding your disclaimers, I do resent your suggestion that I (and others here) need to "grow up."

Some of us do not have the luxury of unlimited space to store parts and fluids, nor do we have the ability to alert a "local" vendor several days in advance that we will need an oil change.  I consider myself lucky to find a shop that knows anything at all about two-strokes within a week or two of when I'll need service.  If the stars align, I will be there at the same time they have a slot to fit me in to the schedule.  No way am I going to commit to special-order ten gallons of oil ahead of time.

Not trying to sound rude or crude, but that's the way things are when you live full-time in 300 square feet.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: