Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 11:11:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: allison retarder  (Read 2179 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:46:20 PM »

Any one know if an allison HTB748 with retarder will fit in place of a 730 in the v drive arangment( 4106 GM)

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
DrDave

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:15:51 PM »

No,

A V-Series transmission is a V-Drive, also the V-730 runs on Left hand turning engines.

An HT series is a T-Drive transmission and will not interchange, totally different layout.
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 09:19:04 PM »

Thanks Dr. Dave   would like to put a retarder on my bus.I Have a v730 then from waht your telling me. Does allison offer a retarder for this transmission or another model with a retardr that will fit in my bus?

Thanks   Greg

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
Sojourner

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:19:47 PM »

Give Luke a call   http://www.scenicruiser.com/uscoach_gallery(052305).htm

He very acknowledgeable in GMC version.

I believe as others posted....no retarder for that version but Luke may have alternative ways of having what you want.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 05:31:38 PM »

see--> http://www.industrialautomatic.com/html/vspecs.htm

retarders are made for the V731 (left or Right hand drive) not for the v730 ??

Vr731 - left hand drive engine
vr731rh - right hand drive engine (like cummins L10  & 8.3L)

731 - are electronic Controls (ATEC computer)

Pete RTS/Daytona

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »

The Allison output retarder was only available on the V731 which is an electronically controlled transmission.  You could swap with a 6V-92TA DDEC that would power the V731 ATEC, then you could add the output retarder.  The mechanical V730 will not facilitate the operation of the output retarder.  I have the same setup on my transit as you do- 8V-71N with the V730.  I added the Jake brake.  While it isn't real powerful, it works well in second and really well on curvy mountain roads if you have the shift selector down in 1st.  The Jake brake is the proper compression brake to use for our type of driving- like coming down a long mountain grade.  The hydraulic output retarder is best used for stop and go- like a transit bus in the city.  In this case, the output retarder will really save the brakes- double or triple the life.  But it isn't much good on a long grade since it will heat up and overheat the transmission if you aren't careful about releasing it periodically to have a fresh, cool charge of transmission fluid reenter the retarder.  The only drawback of the Jake is that the valve covers will have to be about 2 inches higher.  Good Luck TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: