Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 09:24:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: veggie conversion cost  (Read 2274 times)
captain ron

« on: July 04, 2007, 03:23:54 PM »

Does anybody have an idea about what it will cost to convert my bus over to run on WVO? 8V92 DDEC.
I want a system that is simular to the one the guy that used to post on here has all computerized or automatic. Cost less tanks. I would like to get this accomplished before going to sturgis. Also is there anybody close or semi close by that wants to help? I'm in western Illinois near quaud cities.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »

Ron, I saved all those posts on the Help board here:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=3069.0
Richard

Does anybody have an idea about what it will cost to convert my bus over to run on WVO? 8V92 DDEC.
I want a system that is simular to the one the guy that used to post on here has all computerized or automatic. Cost less tanks. I would like to get this accomplished before going to sturgis. Also is there anybody close or semi close by that wants to help? I'm in western Illinois near quaud cities.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »

A bottle of Irish Mist, A case of Budweiser, A good butane lighter, a couple nights of FUN, and a trip to Delaware.
OH Parts,
1. A heated fuel filter will be 250-300.
2. 3 way electric valve 100.200.
3. flat plate heat exchanger 150.
4. fuel line inside heater hose. 150.
5. timers, & valves 350-450.
6. Misc fittings, lines and electrical connections 50-500
7.  A fun time with friends, PRICELESS

OH I Digress AGAIN
Some of the parts will Vary slightly
Thats the best I can DO.

Just An Idea. Wink
OH YEA We do not want any problems with any TAXING Authorities; This is NOT A Conversion to run on WVO.
I Will Help You Install An additive system.

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Jerry W Campbell

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »

Hi Ron,
   After a $1500 fuel bill for the winter trip to Mexico I decided to check on that myself. They want $6000
 to do the job locally. That's on a 6-71 in a Crown.
I think I'm going to buy the parts and do it myself.
Good Luck
Jerry
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:49:48 PM »

did i misread the post about a trip to delaware, oh?  is that where you need the irish mist, a few friends and some parts to go to wvo additive?  if that's in Oh, i can make the trip to help and learn so i can later convert mine.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 06:54:48 AM »

Detroit recommends no higher than B5.  This after their own testing and seeing the sludging that goes on in the engine with WVO.  In my opinion, it is just not worth the time, effort, and money spent to save a few hundred dollars on straight Diesel fuel-especially when you'll most likely have to prematurely do an overhaul on the engine, to add to the cost.  Eventually, when we are close to running out of Diesel, then I'd understand.  But even at $5.00/gallon, it is still not worth it in my mind.  Just my opinion.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 07:20:35 AM »

big expense to  do it right in my opinion with possibility for roadside failure/reduced engine life.

Vegi does not have a good shelf life so it will be bad under noraml busnut useage by the time you try it next.

I had 135 gallons of Commercially produced B100 that was bad my old 04 which I am still managing.  Still waiting to hear if they will stand behind the fuel
captain ron

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »

big expense to  do it right in my opinion with possibility for roadside failure/reduced engine life.

Vegi does not have a good shelf life so it will be bad under noraml busnut useage by the time you try it next.

I had 135 gallons of Commercially produced B100 that was bad my old 04 which I am still managing.  Still waiting to hear if they will stand behind the fuel
Detroit recommends no higher than B5.  This after their own testing and seeing the sludging that goes on in the engine with WVO.  In my opinion, it is just not worth the time, effort, and money spent to save a few hundred dollars on straight Diesel fuel-especially when you'll most likely have to prematurely do an overhaul on the engine, to add to the cost.  Eventually, when we are close to running out of Diesel, then I'd understand.  But even at $5.00/gallon, it is still not worth it in my mind.  Just my opinion.  Good Luck, TomC

How many miles do you guys put on a year? I actually use my bus full time and try to make a living while doing so.  I have put $1200 in fuel since the middle of may with minimal use of the bus taking my bike as often as I can. With that cost plus another $1200 for the trip to sturgis and the gigs I'm turning down because I don't think they are profitable enough with the fuel costs I will risk your guys fears. The conversion can pay for it's self in one trip. And allow me to take gigs I've been turning down. With a heavy work load (which I anticipate in the next year) I could save as much as ten to twenty thousand a year. Even if I were making $200,000 a year I would not want to spend twenty thousand dollars a year in fuel. I would rather spend as close to zero as I can and take the mileage deductions the government gives us and do twice as good on my taxes.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »

keep in mind while you are on the road you will have to find vegi, filter it and then pump it into your tank.

you will aslo have to have diesel tank to use while your Vegi heats to the proper temp.both fuel and engine temp.

you will also have to have sufficient tank/line and filter heating capabilities to  provide consistant perfoemance in cooler to cold temps.

we have a memebr of this board who has a business in the branson area.  All the talking to people I did about Bio he was the only one I really give any credibility to.
captain ron

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »

Tekebird, I understand all of those issues and will have a 2 tank system that will do all of the work for me. put raw oil in one tank it processes it and sends it to the other. As for getting WVO I have that covered.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »

Capt Ron,
This board and bussing is all about doing your thing as you wish. If the VWO is what you prefer go for it.
However, I agree that gathering, heating, storing, filtering, and filling the bus would be toooo ardous for a frugal ( Damm Cheap ) engineer type as myself. I have serveral diesel Mercedes friends who do this but their usage is much lower than 6 mpg with the bus. And they are using 1978-85 MB 300 engines which if they croak then they buy another car for $2,000  or $3,000. Not the cost of a 6V92TA engine rebuild.
I was looking at a conversion for my '83 MB but will not consider it until fuel goes for $5.00 the exact threashold TomC. quoted. Even gallons of virgin veg oil is toooo cumbersome to handle, for me at least.
I do not make $200,000/yr. but I have other things to do, even at that begrugingly, than to process the waste oil.
Great Idea, works for some, but not for this "Cheap" engr. At least not yet.

Good luck,

Gary
P.S. check out the site www.mercedesshop.com under diesels search WVO.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 04:24:33 PM »

Quote from: captain ron
I have put $1200 in fuel since the middle of may.

Boy is wish that I could say that! I put at least that much in each bus each week these days! FWIW !
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 04:26:07 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 04:51:12 PM »

BK at least you are helping the economy grow. Grin Grin

The oil tycoons that is.

Paul
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 05:29:38 PM »

yeah, tell me about it!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
MC6#95

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »

Most of the Buses and semi trucks we do get out the door with about a $4500 to $5000 bill.  This includes the gathering and filtering equipment.  Around $2000 of that is labor. 
Most of you bus nuts wouldn't dream of depriving yourself of the fun of installing it, so around$3000 will buy you a complete set up.
Takebird, Thanks for the compliment.  Also, as Biodiesel will go bad, Waste veggetable oil only gets cleaner as it sets, and settles.  I have had oil that has set for years, and it is just fine.  The longer it sets, the cleaner it gets.
As far as savings, in my Ford Excursion I have saved $30,000 dollars in fuel in 3 years.  More than paid for the rig.  Went out yesterday and got 250 gallons in 45 minutes.  At $3 a gallon I'm pushin $1,000 an hour for my time!

Charles Anderson
www.goldenfuelsystems.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: