Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 09:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on my bus entry door  (Read 1008 times)
belfert

« on: July 04, 2007, 06:45:59 PM »

I have asked at various times here about what to do about my air operated front door that is all screwed up.  (It is not air operated like a hinged Prevost or MCI door.  It is a plug type door like Setra and Van Hool.)

I ended up buying a 28"x84" motorhome door from the Winnebago Surplus store in Forest City, Iowa.  I didn't pad the door well enough on the way home and wore off some of the anodization/paint on the window, screen door, and door frame.  (I'm still upset at myself for that.)

I found a local welding shop that is installing the motorhome door for $900.  Yes, $900 is not as cheap as some other areas, but Minneapolis is a pretty high cost area.  This guy did some really good work on my hitch for me.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »

Sounds like you are making progress in the right direction Brian!  Just make sure you are pleased with the way the door operates before you pay the guy.  Take a picture when it is done and post it so we can see the happy results!
belfert

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 08:17:51 AM »

Sounds like you are making progress in the right direction Brian!  Just make sure you are pleased with the way the door operates before you pay the guy.  Take a picture when it is done and post it so we can see the happy results!

I'm certainly not going to pay before I make sure everything works good.  It looks like the door won't seal good unless the frame is installed perfectly square and flat.  The door frame depends on installation in a flat surface and has liitle rigidity on its own.

The work was supposed to start this morning and I am hoping to go take a look Friday evening or this weekend to make sure everything is on track.  I would like to stop any problems before the job is complete.  The welder is doing the work at his house instead of his shop due to lack of room at the shop.  My hitch was done at the shop, but the shop has moved to a smaller location.

I did screw up and forgot to remind him to disconnect the computers and the equalizer before welding.  I've been trying to get in touch with him this morning.  Hopefully he'll remember from last time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:15:13 AM by belfert » Logged
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:02 AM »

That's roughly the same size RV type door I put on my Thomas. Although it works OK, I plan to replace it with a self made knockoff constructed mostly of steel.
The problem I have in Colorado, is that the wind will take that light door out of your hand so quickly, you cannot catch it. Mine has 'over' opened so many times, that a mirror bracket punched a hole in the door skin and slightly warped the door frame.
I fabbed a door opening out of 3/16 stainless angle, so my foundation is good, I just have a sub-standard door.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
belfert

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 09:17:26 AM »

The door I bought has a fiberglass exterior and is really heavy so I hope I don't have problems with it.  I didn't want one of those cheap aluminum RV doors that has a styrofoam core.

It also has a big latch with a large diameter pin so it should latch good. 
dwbruner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »

Please post some pics when the work is complete.  I need to rework the one-piece door on my Eagle.  I assume the RV door would make it easier to add a screen door?? Undecided

Thanks,
Darrin

Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10
belfert

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 10:45:41 AM »

If I already had a one piece hinged entry door I wouldn't touch it unless damaged.  Most RV doors either have a screen door or can add one as an option.  My RV door already has a screen door.

A replacement one piece entry door for an Eagle would keep the bus look better than an RV door.  There are a number of people making one piece Eagle doors as replacements.  Nobody makes replacement entry doors for a Dina due to lack of a market.
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »

Yeah, they're all heavy in the box. You bought the same door I did, except yours has a fiberglass skin.
I hope it works out for you.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: