Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 08:17:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Windshields on MC8 Secrets or Tips  (Read 1409 times)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2006, 07:01:05 PM »

I have a MC8 1978 model. I have had the windshield in and out several times. More times really than I wanted to. I have a system for getting them installed and removed. It works but I have not been completely satisfied that it is the best way. So I am looking for any tips or tricks that anyone has that will make it easier and have the windshields properly seated when done.

Thanks

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 07:05:58 PM »

I did mine a couple times. Hated it. Then I found the real solution.... take it to the bus repair shop and have the insurance take care of it  Cheesy

Actually, the real trick is to buy the spline tool that is use to insert the spline, and use a good soapy solution to lube it. I watched the guy at the shop put mine in, and he made it look easy. Of course, he does them often.

We did find that when I put my fiberglass windshield frame back in, somehow the openings shrunk a bit, and was interfering with the glass. The last time I took it in, I had to have both sides replaced, and they had to do a bit of grinding on the opening to get better clearance. Then it was not a problem.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:26:10 PM »

Anyone know if Curved Glass installs?  I'm not far away from them and I'd be inclined to have them pop two new ones in since the rubber needs replacing anyway.  I'm not really looking forward to doing the job myself and can't find anyone locally who will touch it.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »

The first time I had a local company replace mine and they didn't match the frame so I got a new fiberglass frame and center post and installed that on the bus. Now the windows fit fine but I am looking for a better method to get them in.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: