Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 11:07:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V-730 in a 4106  (Read 929 times)
kingfa39

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:27:08 AM »

Had a 730 rebuilt and tested and installed in my 4106 a few yrs back, it has done a good job for me but has one thing that is annoying, when crusing in high gear and start a climb when the speed drops off to around 48 it tries to down shift but feels like it has lost its mind it jerks back and forth like its tring to shift but dont , i let up on the accelerator and it shifts, i always have to watch the speed drop off and let off the throttle to about half then it shifts fine, This is no beg deal but would be nice if i could correct it, it has a 8/71  and a air modulator. anybody have any ideas , i know of at least one other one that does the same thing
Frank Allen
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:37:19 AM »

I've had that happen a couple of times on mine.  To combat that I always manually down shift when climbing a hill.  My bus up shifts at 42 and down shifts at 38 (speed only controlled with 2-3 or 3-2).  I can manually down shift at 45.  It makes for a much smoother shift, never hunts back and forth, and keeps the engine revved up for a better chance at the hill.  You might have a lazy spring in the shift block of the transmission.  Personally-just manually shift it and live with it since another overhaul is rather pricey.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:43:39 AM »

Mine would do the same thing occasionally if I slipped up and did not down shift manually first. I totally agree with Tom. Always down shift as soon as possible manually to keep the revs up at maximum.
Richard

I've had that happen a couple of times on mine.  To combat that I always manually down shift when climbing a hill.  My bus up shifts at 42 and down shifts at 38 (speed only controlled with 2-3 or 3-2).  I can manually down shift at 45.  It makes for a much smoother shift, never hunts back and forth, and keeps the engine revved up for a better chance at the hill.  You might have a lazy spring in the shift block of the transmission.  Personally-just manually shift it and live with it since another overhaul is rather pricey.  Good Luck, TomC

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »

Mine doesnít have that problem; but, when going up a hill in a hard climb, the down-shift is quick and accompanied with a solid kick in the seat of the pants. The next time I have it out I will try the manual shifting.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 09:23:00 AM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »

Yes, it's best to shift the V-730 manually in the hills. If you have a tach, downshift when it drops below 1600rpm or so. Otherwise, it won't downshift itself until the DD is around 1300-1400rpm, which is waaay too late. Always look for black smoke and throttle position to give an indication of proper hillclimbing.

We just got back yesterday from a little 400 mile round trip to do some whitewater rafting near Salida, CO... and we spent a lot of time in the mountains and in bumper-to-bumper traffic in and out of Denver and Co Springs. I could keep her in lockup most of the time by watching the rpm and selecting the proper gear with the shifter. I barely needed my brakes at all by using the Jakes and lockup 1st and 2nd.

HTH,
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 11:39:12 PM »

Brian- glad to hear you figured out 1st gear lockup!  Good Luck, TomC

Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 09:20:55 AM »

Brian- glad to hear you figured out 1st gear lockup!  Good Luck, TomC

It's all thanks to your posts and emails, Tom. You're a real asset to this board, sir!

-bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »

Thanks for the roses!  Like all that post here on the board, just want to share experiences that may be beneficial to all.  Good Luck, TomC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: