Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:47:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Telma Retarder on GM V drive  (Read 2269 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2006, 08:12:03 PM »

I was looking at some pictures of the Telma retarder (haven't actually seen one close up).  I was wondering if it possible to install one directly on the back of my 4104 transmission in place of the old hand brake drum. It seems that it shouldn't reduce the drive shaft length very much.

Any comments,

Thanks,

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
NCbob

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:13:13 AM »

I entertained putting one on my MC5A but it wouldn't work...no space.  Boogiethecat (Gary Stadler) had a new one for sale back in April on the BNO board.  He put one on his bus and somehow ended up with two.
FWIW

NCbob
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:11:34 PM »

There are three ways of mounting the Telma.  Is directly mounted to the output side of the transmission, directly on the rear axle input pinion, and the easiest, at the halfway point in a drive shaft.  The biggest problem is how to mount it since it weighs 6-800lb (depending on model) and keep it aligned.  While it is an excellent retarder that can absorb up to 800hp (on the biggest model), the extra weight and strain on the batteries, I would stick with a well adjusted Jake brake-which will cost about 1/5th the cost of the Telma.  I just delivered a 3 axle tractor with the Telma.  It was a $12,000 option, but it does work very well and doesn't make a sound.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:08:32 AM »

I had no idea that they were that heavy or that expensive.  Thanks for the input.

Actually, what spiked my interest was this ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TELMA-DRIVELINE-RETARDER-BRAKE-CONTROLLER-rv-bus-jake_W0QQitemZ9512433007QQcategoryZ26261QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Len
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 07:27:29 AM by Len Silva » Logged

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 09:01:53 AM »

Len- looked at the Ebay Telma and can say that is an EXTREMELY excellent deal.  BUT trying to mount it on a frameless 4104 and trying to find the room would be almost impossible.  Now someone with a standard T drive that has a perpendicular frame would be more like it.  Best would be someone that has a motorhome based on a big rig truck with a long wheelbase since replacing the mid bearing in the driveline is usually the way to go.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: