Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 09:14:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Door Lock - What's the Best?...And How to Install?  (Read 7462 times)
busboy

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2006, 05:25:44 AM »

Now that we are on the road, I'm figuring out all the things that need attention.  One of them is the door lock on our Eagle 10.  It has a car like knob that you push down to lock the door latch(looks original to the bus...the latch not the lock mechanism).  It's not working perfectly and sometimes won't lock.  I would like to put a deadbolt in but want to here from the board on what is the best for this application and how to do it. 
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:19:29 AM »

Good topic,,, busnut83 would like to know also,,, I made my transit doors a one piece,,, I would like to know how to drill stainless... THANKS
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:56:46 AM »

Talk to rich at IBP.  They have a nice setup that isn't too hard to install.  Jack Conrad did all the design work on it.  I have one here, just haven't had time to install it.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:58:01 AM »

Go to www.westlandproducts.com  for a product that will make drilling Stainless or any hard materials, even welded material that has been hardened from the heat etc.  Get the product called (Westlube), it will greatly assist you and only problem left is doing it.  Go to the site mentioned and decide for yourself before odering.  Hope this helps.
Gary

Gary
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 10:38:08 AM »

BusBoy,

This is the setup I installed in my 102c, Very heavy duty to handle a bus door!

TriMark Corp.

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/zplatform.aspx?Hidden2=%253ca%2Bhref%253dzCategory.aspx%253fintcategoryid%253d175%2B%2Bclass%253d%2522headerWhite%2522%253e%2BIndustries%2B%253c%252fa%253e%2526nbsp%253b%252f%2526nbsp%253b%253ca%2Bhref%253dzCategory.aspx%253fintcategoryid%253d176%2B%2Bclass%253d%2522headerWhite%2522%253e%2BRecreational%2BVehicle%2B%253c%252fa%253e%2526nbsp%253b%252f%2526nbsp%253b%253ca%2Bhref%253dzCategory.aspx%253fintcategoryid%253d86%2B%2Bclass%253d%2522headerWhite%2522%253e%2BMotor%2BHomes%2B%253c%252fa%253e%2526nbsp%253b%252f%2526nbsp%253b%253ca%2Bhref%253dzCategory.aspx%253fintcategoryid%253d89%2B%2Bclass%253d%2522headerWhite%2522%253e%2BExterior%2BPersonnel%2BDoors%2B%253c%252fa%253e%2526nbsp%253b%252f%2526nbsp%253b&imgid=6&id=22&skuid=

Sorry for the long address, but I'm putting you to the paddle's

Here is the PDF file for cut sheet  http://www.trimarkcorp.com/media/product/030/030-0900_tech_pub.pdf

Hope this helps-
Nick-
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 02:19:23 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 04:54:54 PM »

The nice thing about the IBP setup is that it addresses the problem of needing the inside and outside door handles at diferent levels.  IE: You mount the interior and exterior door handles where ever they are comfortable.  The inside ends up 12+" higher than the outside.  The handles are then connected to the latch with rods.  The kit comes with everything you need to install.  It's not really the latch install I'm dreading, it's the factory door opener handle removal.
Burgermeister

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 08:46:33 PM »

Any cutting of stainless, drilling or otherwise, requires dealing with getting around the work-hardening properties of SS.

You typically slow the drill speed down and advance the feed (more push in hand drill situations) in an effort to constantly undercut the previous cut surface (which has work hardened).

Good cutting lubricant is almost essential.  Poor lube is costly in bits or cutting tools.

Onward and Upward

Marc
BJW

Always Follow Your Dream!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »

I thought a long time about this issue and heard of many people having their bays and entry door locks either broken or pried open by would-be thieves.   I had a deadbolt on my door originally, but it didn’t seem to work for the look I wanted.  I wanted a smooth side look without handles etc….sort of a shaver door idea on hot rods.

I got rid of the dead bolt and other handle stuff and modified a commercial push exit with electric solenoid actuation. It is very strong and cannot be breached from the outside.  It is a great emergency exit as well, as there is no fumbling with a latch or lock…just push and anyone including a child can get out very fast.    I haven’t seen this type of installation on any other bus, but I can’t imagine someone else hasn’t done this either.   It is very nice as there is no exterior handle.  It is controlled either by a key fob or digital entry keypad along side of the door.  This smooth look matches all of my bay doors as well.  They have no handles either.  They are all controlled by digital key pad or key fobs.  I also chose this way because I know of a ton of people (including myself) go to open a bay and have to turn right around and go inside and get the bay door keys.  A minor frustration, but none the less.   The only exterior doors that have any exterior locks are my hydraulics bay door and my battery master switch door.  This way I can access my batteries any time. 

I don’t know that this helps much, but it’s just another one of those “do it your way” kind of things.   Smiley

BJW
Gus the Bus
Federal Way, WA
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 10:10:59 AM »

BJW,

I like that.  Are your locks normally unlocked or locked when power is turned off

I thougt long about this before I installed my paddle, and I couldn't think through the emergency synario, that if we lost power while we

were inside, would we be able to exit if N.C.. Or would the coach door unlock if the batt's went dead while parked, N.O.

Let me know what you did to overcome this?

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
BJW

Always Follow Your Dream!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »

Hey Nick,

The lock is normally locked when the door closes or is closed.  However, there is a feature that allows you to have the door stay in the unlocked position when camping so people can come and go as they please without having to key in a code.  Further, the door is always openable no matter if it is powered or not.  It is impossible to be inside and not get out, but if the door closes and your outside, either the bar had to be already disabled to re-enter, or you have to code in the keycode. 

The bar is like a panic bar on some retail stores have at thier front doors or emergency doors.  In fact that is what gave me the idea.  The bar is contiuous across the entire door and can be pushed from any point along it to have it easily open.  Basically, if you normally push on a door to open, you would use the same force to open mine, you would only have to push along the bar with my setup...no locks to figure out or latch to fiddle with before exiting, nothing to stop you should you be flustered at the time.    I don't have any pictures with me, but can try to get some up soon. 

Have a great day!!   Grin

BJW,

I like that.  Are your locks normally unlocked or locked when power is turned off

I thougt long about this before I installed my paddle, and I couldn't think through the emergency synario, that if we lost power while we

were inside, would we be able to exit if N.C.. Or would the coach door unlock if the batt's went dead while parked, N.O.

Let me know what you did to overcome this?

Nick-

BJW
Gus the Bus
Federal Way, WA
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 01:56:27 PM »

BJW,

Thanks,
Let me know when you are posting them.  I would also like to know what componets you used!

I have my shop all wired with keypad access, key fobs for employee entrance, and I also constructed a way to open the overhead

doors and unlock office from my cell phone using a communicating module. it works pretty well !

Nick-

jeepme

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 01:57:15 PM »

Neat idea for a door lock, I'd like something like that, but is there any way to keep the kids from leaving the coach at 65mph?

Jason Whitaker
Dallas

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 02:11:32 PM »

Neat idea for a door lock, I'd like something like that, but is there any way to keep the kids from leaving the coach at 65mph?

Jason Whitaker
The easiest way to keep the kids from leaving at 65 is to tell them that there is 2 hours of homework waiting or that there is some house work to do.
Or, you could put in a slide bolt.
Dallas
busboy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 03:00:57 PM »

I talked to Rich@IBP this morning and he said that Jack Conrad had written an article on his Door Lock design.  Does anybody have a copy they could e-mail me.  I want to see what I'm in for before plunking down $200+ for one.
Thanks,
Brent
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 03:04:52 PM »

Brent,
    Check your email.  I sent you the article as well as several photos.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/