Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:40:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GMC PD-4106 # 1539  (Read 4089 times)
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2007, 04:15:50 PM »

Hi,

I have a chance to purchase a 1962 4106 #1539. First of all, maybe someone with the original delivery info can post it here for my knowledge. This is a clean, unmolested bus, still seated and set up for a full load of passengers, with the mileage records showing a little less than 3/4 million miles. Body and interior in good shape, but owner says it was driven onto lot 7 months ago and now it won't start. I'm going to take another, more experienced busnut with me to inspect this bus and try to get it started. Any quick suggestions of things I should check?

Thanks
Tom Weeks
BusCrazyTom the Analog Dinosaur
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:59:43 PM »

1539 Tamiami Trails Tours (Trailways) Tampa Fl Fleet Number T2949

Tamiami was busy back in those days, I would suspect the documented mileage should be well over 750k

back in those days they didn't sell buses with less than 1 million miles on them and most of the time more than that.
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:31:56 PM »

Mr. Wotring,

As always, thanks for the spot-on information. The bus is actually now state property and was used to transport a small college sports team, so perhaps their "documented mileage" only is for service in state ownership and does not include the prior owner.

I generally know way better than to buy a non-running coach, but something makes me think that there's a (simple)  reason why it won't start since it drove on the lot, and the price is so right that I think maybe myself, another busnut and a bus mechanic buddy of mine can get it going. Then again, I've been wrong before, but then again I've gotten really lucky.

My attraction to this coach lies in the fact that it is still a pasenger bus, and is cosmetically sound except for minor damage to the door. I really would prefer to start my conversion from scratch and not have to undo a bunch of someone elses "conversion" in the process.

Thanks again as always for the info.

Tom Weeks
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 05:34:13 PM by BusCrazyTom » Logged
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »

Tom, take along a digital voltmeter and check a few things as you're troubleshooting. Hopefully all she needs is a fresh set of batts. After that, a non-cranker could be the solenoid and/or the starter. A cranker but no runner is almost always a fuel problem.

Once upon a time I bought a neglected 4106 conversion and resurrected it... new tires, lots of other new rubber parts, airbags, starter wires, etc. And it worked out fine, and we had a lot of fun with her. The reason we sold it was the 4-speed Spicer wouldn't go where we wanted to take it... steep driveways, beach access roads, campsites, 6-point turns, etc.

In the last few weeks, I've seen a couple of nice '06 conversions on eBay, with fresh(ish) engines, auto trannies, one even had a turbo. And tens of thousand$ of money in conversion and updates for not much $. Nowhere near what it would cost to DIY, not to mention the time saved. Just a thought!

Let us know how the "non-starter" works out. Keep us posted, since we can often help troubleshoot from afar... many of us have BTDT.

Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:32:03 PM »

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I know what you mean, its a buyers market in buses these days. I just think its worth as shot to save the 'ol girl. Digital voltmeter...I never leave home without several..., and an analog too. I figure it something simple like batteries, fuel issue (lost prime, etc), stuck shutdown or someone messed with the rear switches, etc. I don't think anyone at a state auction lot put a lot of time into trying. Hell, its even titled as a minivan! I guess when you're the goobermint you can title it whatever you want!

Thanks
Tom
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 06:39:03 AM »

how long's it been sitting?

I beleive I have a new door in my inventory.

if it has cranking power, compression and fuel it should start.

BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:20 AM »

The gal at the auction storage lot says it drove in about 7 months ago and hasn't started since.

Tom
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 03:10:22 PM »

does it crank?

perhaps someone turned the batteries off or they are dead?

if it drove in 7 months ago......it's prob drive out without to much effort.

BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 04:18:15 PM »

Not sure of whether it will try and crank or not. I think I'm going to take a couple of 8D's with me.
Thats sort of what I was thinking, I'll just have to see when I get my hands on it.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:20:25 PM by BusCrazyTom » Logged
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 05:58:49 AM »

Hope you can post some pics when the gavel falls!
Sounds like it is worth saving. Good luck!
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 06:45:49 AM »

Doesn't look like it's going to work out that I can bid this time, someone else should. I am awaiting a bunch of money owed to my business and I thought I would get a partial, but substantial payment on it this week, but it being Friday it looks like it ain't gonna happen today. We'll see. Seems like everytime a good opportunity comes along, my money's hiding in slow paying receivables.

D*m* wok stars! Oh well, another day, another dollar, another bus! Undecided

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 08:47:20 PM »

Doesn't look like it's going to work out that I can bid this time, someone else should

Tom,

Can you post the link for the auction? I would like to see the photos and find out what it goes for.

Laryn

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 11:42:40 PM »

Can you post the link for the auction? I would like to see the photos and find out what it goes for.

Ebay item # 190130458442

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 12:32:56 AM »

Thanks, Russ.  I did'nt see this early enough to post it. Currently the bid is just slightly under $700.00, quite a trivial amount, however without being paid on the job I don't have the cash right now, as Momma's meds are over $1400 monthly. Looks like it will make someone a nice bus,so if I can't grab it, someone else sure should. Hate to see it get away when some busnut could give it a home.

No sour grapes, good luck to all

gomer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 02:32:25 PM »

just looked at the bus on ebay and it has an automatic in it instead of a 4-speed   That would fit so many coaches and it is in Americus ,Ga at the state  sale  wow I wish I needed it.  bid no.190130458442

as you slid down the banister of life,may the splnters point the other way
TRUST IN GOD ALWAYS. riverjordanmusic@aim.com
Gomer
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: