Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:45:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Tank for water ?  (Read 1611 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:33:30 AM »

Do any of you guys know what this is from? I am thinking a bus or maybe a boat. It is 22 X 27 X 90 inches. I hope to cut it in half and use it for water and sewage. It looks to be magnetic stainless. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:57:40 AM »

Tom,

I hope you are talking about grey water and black water.... not fresh water.

I would never use a tank of unknown origins for fresh water. That's a sure recipe for disaster.

Dallas
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »

Dallas

My 04 has a alu. fuel tank for fresh water.  Been in for about 12 years.

Guess i know what is wrong with me know. Just a little bit slow

Uncle Ned
Huggy bear

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:49:59 AM »

Ned,
I'm not talking about a new, unused tank, but that looks like a previously occupied container.

Tanks that are built for one purpose are often used for something else, and unless the history is known, it would be better to not take a chance.

Dallas
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »

Dallas, Yes I was hoping to use half for fresh water. It had fuel in it. Maybe have it steamed clean?  Tom Y   

Tom Yaegle
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 01:36:06 PM »

You could steam it twenty times and flush it twenty more, my wife would still say the water tastes funny Smiley
Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:46:13 PM »

Tom, depending on what kind of fuel it had in it, it could have some really neat stuff infused into the metal.

Lead, organic acids, complex chemicals that I can't pronounce, let alone spell. It's just my own opinion but I wouldn't want to take a chance with myself or my family by using a tainted tank. I should know, I put enough weird and wonderful chemicals into my body as a young'n. It's a wonder I can still function well enough to walk and... and..... ummm, what were we talking about?

I worry about a lot of things I guess, one of which is my friends in the bus nut community. Even ones I haven't met yet.

Dallas
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:51:07 PM »

These is no way I would let a friend use that for a fresh water tank, Some of my relatives, maybe!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 09:43:09 AM »

With my big rig truck's sleeper, I had a aluminum 75 gal fuel tank that was for the water.  Worked OK except that it would react with the water and create little balls of calcium that would clog up the water pump screen (course that's what it's for).  I don't know if there was some sort of anode I could have run.  But always carried gallon jugs for my drinking water. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: