Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 08:18:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm young, new to it, but i want to buy a bus and be a LIFER!  (Read 2707 times)
WannaBeLifer

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2007, 04:18:33 PM »

i've read the entire stringing of "newbie" advice posted back there, i've been researching all the differant kinds of busses, their structure's, buildabilities, motors and the fuel options, the options (water-heaters, appliances, gensets, etc.)...all i can do in about 6 months of dreaming!!

is this a rich mans sport, or am i crazy to think that i can take my little $40k a year (in california) and get as far off the grid as i can by getting a bus and converting it into my contemperary dream house!! aside from the obsticles of finding land to live on....i'm mechanically inclide, and crafty as all get out. encourage me, or discourage? should i wait until i have a bit more an income before living in a giant rolling construction zone?? the price of the bus is one thing.....the pieces of the puzzle though....Huh
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 04:23:19 PM »

Get the best bus you can.  The rest you can do a little at a time.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »

No, it's not a rich mans sport!

But it helps..... a lot.

I've converted 6 buses in the last 35 years and it just seems to get more and more expensive.

Right now we are converting a 1952 PD4103 and have been for the last 4 or 5 years. I'm partially disabled so can't can't keep a job and we live on what my wife makes. We buy a little bit here, a little there, some at flea markets and some on eBay, some by trading this or that.

We live full time in ours and although it's not really set up for off grid life, we can get by for a few days without a power pole.

Depending on the type of bus you want, and it's condition, you can do a lot with very little. Used buses are really a buyers market right now, since the price of fuel has gone up. The only real thing keeping the prices up on them is the price that China is paying for scrap metal.
I had a friend that sold a H8H4905A body last fall without engine or transmission. It brought $3500 as dirty scrap. Much more than he could have sold it for as a parts bus.

Look around, I'm sure you'll find something.

Just remember, the bus is just a big hole in the road where you pour vast quantities of cash, never to be seen again.

IHTH

Dallas
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »

I would encourage you to go for it, with only one concern.  In California, especially middle or southern, if you get out away from things, it is hot.  Hot usually means 2 large or 3 standard air conditioners.  That takes a lot of power.  If you get "off the grid", the power has to be generated somehow.  Generators burn expensive fuel.  Very large solar arrays involve huge up front investment.  I'm not even sure you could fit enough solar panels on a bus roof to power three air conditioners.

Beyond that, I say:  go for it!
dutch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »

i would have to agree

go for it>
no matter what happens you'll fall in love with it.
i spend almost all my savings into my bus and i hate looking at my bankaccount now but i love my bus.
i will always and forever have a bus, wether im broke or a millionair.
the gremlins are in my blood and bussing is my life.
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 05:19:37 PM »

Walk up to an older gentleman who you respect and admire. Ask him the following question:  Looking back on your life, which do you regret more:  The things you did that you shouldn't have, or the things you didn't do but wanted to.  I think you'll find you answer.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »

California is a good state to find deals. That is where I got mine and have seen several since then that would also make good starter busses for those who are on a budget. Start on the low end if you have to, and as life and money permits, sell and upgrade. I also do not have a lot of disposable income, but I am having a good time. I think that the GM busses are the easiest and least expensive to start out on. I am sure you have already been following bus prices online. Exercise patience, do not let the horror stories scare you into paralysis, and educate yourself the best you can.

Good Luck,

Laryn

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 06:21:48 PM »

Find a bus you think you can afford, buy it, get to work and enjoy.  Go into it knowing that it will take lots of work and I mean lots.  It will be back breaking, dirty, exciting, fun, irritating, expensive, challenging, and worth every minute.  Dallas and I live in ours full time.  The only problem we have is that we are living in it, with our 3 cats, while we are doing the remodel.  Since we full time, everything we own is also in the bus.  We have had to learn to cut down on the things that we own.  After a while you realize that you don't truly need everything that you thought you couldn't live without before. 

Go for it, enjoy it and know that the frustrations that you will encounter will definitely be overshadowed by the fun you will have in owning a bus.  I bet before you get half way through, you will be saying "in my next bus I'm gonna do_____________ differently!  Welcome to the world of bus nuts!  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 06:27:13 PM »

WEC4104 said: which do you regret more, The things you did that you shouldn't have, or the things you didn't do but wanted to.

Man, There is nothing to say after that!

Go for it!

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
kysteve

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 06:46:42 PM »

Got my vote for going for it also!!!!....Steve....
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 07:11:41 PM »

Wannabe, 
I am in the same boat.  I realistically can't afford a bus.  But, I am going to have one.  The last few months of my fathers life taught me a bit.. I will not look back with the regret I never tried.  If it doesn't work out I will be a little bit poorer but will know that I was not afraid to try. 

There are some on the board who will give you many reasons why you should not get into busing if you don't have a certain amount of cash and reserves and..... and......   

If a few years from now I have to abandon this project it will still have been a positive event for me.  I will have learned a lot and met some of the best people in the world.  I will have spent time with my son and grand daughters sharing hardships and working towards a common goal. 

I hope they will get as much from the bus as I do, no matter what.

Only you can make the final decision, do what is right for you........and enjoy it.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Songman

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 07:28:01 PM »

I've always wanted a bus. Traveled on them all my life in the music business. But never really thought of owning one until a few years ago. Did a lot of research, looked at lots of buses, and finally bought mine about 5 months ago. I have a family and I also build street rods and stuff so I have lots of projects. So far on the bus I have been collecting parts and disassembling the stuff from the bus that I won't need in the conversion. But man, I am loving the planning and know that it is going to be great when we ever get it done!

I will add that I found out that CA has changed the process for registering an ex-commercial bus as a motorhome. It used to be that you just had to pull a number of seats out and that was all it took. A recent law change says that you must have completed your motorhome conversion before you can register it as an RV in CA. You must have a bathroom, kitchen, sleep quarters, A/C other than the road air, and a power supply... I told the woman at DMV that a lot of people who are going to just frequent campgrounds may not even add a generator.. She couldn't be swayed and said it was the law... Therefore, my bus is still registered commercial.

Being that this is CA, there is always a reason behind a change of law - MONEY! They now ask you the price you paid for the bus AND how much you spent on the conversion, and that is what you pay tax on. That's why they want it completed first. The good news is that they don't require an inspection. They take your word on it that your conversion is done. But the lady informed me that the fines are pretty stiff if you get pulled over and your bus is registered as a motorhome without the conversion being done. That would have to be a pretty bored cop to worry about that...

Just thought I would throw this into this thread since you live in CA... But as everyone else, my advice is GO FOR IT!
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 07:29:58 PM »

Wanna be lifer,
I had a very good busnut friend kick me in the pants today to get me remotivated again, I can assure you all will not be roses but---- depending on your age, motivation and possiblity to do most things yourself you can sure get in here and meet great friends and those that will also motivate you when you get down like I was. 

My personal advise, get the newest bus you can financially afford to purchase, get it inspected to see what really needs to make your bus roadworthy and safe, and can you do the repairs yourself or have friends that will possibly help you if needed. Don't expect big fast results to any converting if done right.  Take your time, be safe always and enjoy your new project that if done right will be something to always be proud of the rest of your life.  Having strong support from a mate, (Wife, girlfriend or boyfriend) could sure help on bad days especially. 

Good luck, when you get down on a bad day, send me your email address and I will get you in contact with one couple I just know can motivate you again with their positive can & will do attitude.

Gary

Gary
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »

I just got started this spring and wish I had done this years ago when I had more spendable income but less time to spend it. However it was Aircraft in thos days so on to busses  Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:27 PM »

LIFE  IS A TRIP  .... FROM BIRTH ,TO YOUTH  , LOVE,FAMILY, ...RETIREMENT ...etc. 
BUS CONVERSION IS A TRIP.....thinking. planning ,searching,working,love, family...etc.
BUS CONVERSION IS NEVER COMPLETELY FINISHED(ask any one that has one)remember to include thinking,planning,working,love family!!
 SO Huh LIFE=LOVE,FAMILY,on a trip in YOUR BUS CONVERSION Cheesy
  ENJOY ALL YOU HAVE ( they areALL GIFTS  just include LOVE, & FAMILY on a trip in your bus)

p.s. watch out for BUS NUTS we are everywhere(even in your bathroom mirror....you just haven't notice it yet !)

Dwayne
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: