Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 03:59:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with roofair  (Read 3154 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 11:57:34 AM »

Looks like just what you are looking for. eBay item 330148408129

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
ArtMaybee

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »

I will definitely check out the capacitor first.
$105 isn't that much to spend but.... It's really not that hard to break down the A/C to the point I'm at.
The only issue I had was stripped out screws on the housing.

Does anyone know if the motor listed in that ebay ad will fit my older unit?
What about newer outer housings... Can I used the newer housing on my older A/C unit?
The one I have has a bit of age and it would be nice to clean it up a bit with a new housing.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »

First of all, let me state that I come from the old school of diagnose the problem and repair the problem, not the current thinking of just replace the black box, regardless of what the internal problem is. 

If I were doing it, the first thing I would do would determine if the capacitor is bad. If it is, replace it. Since the shaft was hard to turn before you lubed it, I would then pull the fan motor and replace the bearings. Probably all of $10. in parts. Then re-assemble the unit and run it for another ten years.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 01:47:22 PM »

I can't count all the locked up small elect motor shafts I've  tried oiling over the years in hopes that it would be ok. I've never had one that worked more than a short time before it locked up again. One would think that I would learn but so far I keep hoping!!

It appears to me that the shaft scores before it locks up and the oil will not fix that. If it isn't scored it is usually rusted, either way the shaft bushing gets damaged permanently.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
ArtMaybee

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2007, 01:48:35 PM »

I agree with you.
I've just got to look up the procedure for testing the capacitor.
I don't like to replace anything that doesn't have to be replaced. unless it's something like a waterpump, clutch assembly, etc that would cost a LOT of time and or money to replace at a later date if it fails.

It took all of 10 minutes to disassemle the A/C unit so I can live with pulling it back apart if the motor fails.

I was thinking that removing the shaft from the motor might be beyond my available tool resources.
I thought I saw mention of having to press the shaft out. And I'd be worried about bending the shaft trying to monkey it out incorrectly.

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007, 03:44:02 PM »

Hi Art,

Sometimes the shaft is so rusted that it is better done by cutting the shaft, sanding the rust, then place the hub on a press to remove the old shaft.

Just look at the shaft on yours. You can even try and sand it, if it sands up smooth, you most likely will be able to slide the hub right off. But if it's very

pitted with rust, it may be a little harder to remove the hub.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: