Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 03:44:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion question!  (Read 3044 times)
steve5B

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2007, 03:50:15 PM »

Hello everyone,

Ready to start the conversion of my MCI-5B. As of this moment Interior removed, Restroom, windows, road air. etc.  I have re skinned the sides, windows in place roof air installed  Walls covered with plywood.

Floor also remove and new plywood replaced.  So far I thought it would be a cake walk , what was I thinking!  So, back to the Subject CONVERSION QUESTION!  Can one purchase a set of blueprints for a 35' conversion or do you build as you go? 

Any input would be Great!

Steve5B,

Thanks in advance.

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »

So far you "been building as you go right"? I'd say take and get some graph paper and draw some layouts that suit you! then take and get some kinda non permenant marking utensil and go out and draw in actual size on the floor to exact measurements what your thinking! Then walk back and forth in the aisle and see if it's gonna be comfortable and still suitable too you! After all it's yours do it your way!
Now keep in mind I don't have a conversion, haven't built a conversion and don't have a clue about starting one, but this is what I'd do! So let the flames begin!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »

Get some blue paint masking tape, mark your floors where walls and other important things go. You can always remove and reposition the tape. This of course after you have a plan drawn up to scale to make it all fit as you like.
Good Luck, you are well on your way to having more fun.  Grin

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

It would also help to know where you are located, maybe someone close can give you some on the spot guidance.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:51:27 PM by Dreamscape » Logged
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:04:40 PM »

Get some blue paint masking tape, mark your floors where walls and other important things go. You can always remove and reposition the tape. This of course after you have a plan drawn up to scale to make it all fit as you like.
Good Luck, you are well on your way to having more fun.  Grin

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

See told ya I had no clue!

Thanks Paul! Why didn't I think of that! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 04:08:31 PM »

I agree with Bryce on that, except you might think about using masking tape or Duct tape for marking things out.

I'm not sure what kind of blue prints you really need, but you could look through a bunch of the Stick and staple manufacturers websites and peek at the floor plans they use.

One problem you will run into is that the bulkheads aren't the same in every bus, and where you have to put things like tanks, toilets and the keg refrigerator is going to be a lot different then where someone with a GMC or an MC7 will put it.

Everything you lay out on the floor will need to match with where the lower bulkheads are.

Bryce:
I'm sure we can find one of those Setras that would make you a good conversion, then we can tear it down and build it back up just the way you want it!

Dallas
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »

Quote from: Dallas
Bryce:
I'm sure we can find one of those Setras that would make you a good conversion, then we can tear it down and build it back up just the way you want it!

Dallas

Ah Dallas you catch on quickly! As you are aware of I do sorta have a "spare or parts bus (Setra of course)" that is a very likely candidate for a conversion to a party bus/single mans conversion (company titled, insured, built, maintained, etc.)! Have I split the beans enough on the other post about "a project Dallas and Dad are unaware of yet!?"
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 04:31:23 PM »

You didn't mention if you insulated the walls and ceiling?  Hopefully you did.
As to blue prints, there are suggestions that can be made, but each bus has its' own design features that have to be addressed.  For example- what do you design around the wheel wells?  Where do you place the toilet for the ideal direct down to the tanks-although it isn't a must?  What wiring do you need to do first?  Plumbing ideas?

I don't know exactly what you need, but in a 35ft'r, this is what I'd do.  Starting in the rear have a queen size (80" x 60") island bed.  That pretty much will take the last 8ft of the bus.  Then on the left wall in front of the wheel well will be a shower, toilet and sink for the next 6ft.  Then 7ft for the kitchen and the remainder for captains chair with lamp table over the front wheel well.  On the right wall in front of the rear wheel well can be your closets with the reefer close to the kitchen.  Then 7ft for a dinette, another 7ft for the pull out sofa/bed, then a captains chair over the front right wheel well.  Just a thought.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
maria-n-skip

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »

For those of us who are who are paper(design challenged) I buy what I am going to put in an area. ie the
 mattress. I move it around until I like the feel show the wife then start building. For the bathroom I got the shower toilet
 and sink lined up where I want them and designed the wall around them. I found out that I am always wanting 2 inches more
 than what I put on paper.

It probably is a slow way on doing it but then this isn't a race (if it was I already lost)

Skip
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 04:46:04 PM »

In addition to marking the layout on the floor, I would go to an appliance dealer or a bike shop and get some large cardboard boxes. Then I would make a full size mockup of the interior. There are also books that help with ideas. I have seen the link posted here on occasion. Also, go to a bus gathering an look at some real life examples.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 06:00:02 PM »

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your input,  Looking forward to putting it all in thought!   Have a Question for Tom C,

Tom, what do you do for the wheel wells on the inside? I like your Idea as to start from the rear of the bus.

Once again, thanks to all

Steve5B.........

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 06:23:45 PM »

Steve, I was going to mention the cardboard mockups, but Laryn beat me to it.  In some cases, you need the three-dimentional reality.   

We're redoing the interior of the 4107, originally designed with kids in mine - now unlikely to carry anyone that hasn't received at least one AARP solicitation.  It's amazing the difference one or two inches makes.  We recently installed two sets of coach seats, facing, and I'm building a dining table to go between them.  A couple of weeks ago, I took the table top to the coach and we tried it out.  It worked on paper, and was do-able, but after trying it, I shaved a total of 1.5 inches off the table to make it more comfortable getting in and out of the seats.  It meant re-mortising six hinges to gain the 1.5 inches, but that little bit will make a world of difference.  The tape layout is a good start, but here's the difference.  My oversized rear end will fit fine by the tape marks on the floor, but if there's a fixed object 2-4 feet high, I find out if I have to exhale first.

It's kind of like looking at furniture in the store, it all looks like it'll fit.  Then you get it home, and find out that five pounds of stuff really won't fit into the three pound room. 

I also want to replace the original, household size refrigerator with an apartment size, to pick up a couple of inches of aisle width (yeah, that's really the reason, it only helps that the ugly yellow color of the darned thing won't go with my cherry, maple, and walnut woodwork).

Now, a request (or suggestion).  If you put your location in your profile, or, even better, in your signature, there are a lot of folks here that can help you by showing you their coaches.  If I remember correctly (I'm a GM guy) - the 5 and the 4107 were competitors at 35 feet.  That brings up another issue as you're looking at coaches ---  the difference between a 35 and a 40, and the difference between a 96 and 102 inch width.  If I had the extra 5 foot length, or six inch width, my design considerations would be totally different.   Important to remember when you're looking at other folks' creations.   

Arthur
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:28:36 PM by Runcutter » Logged

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »

OK, all you GM owners out there, I don't mean to hi-jak this very good thread, but I also have a question that may help our newbie.

When you're cutting your walls and cabinets and all that, how do you get all those beautiful curves in your woodwork to fit so perfectly with the ceiling curves?  I always managed to have about an inch gap somewhere in mine.  I tried to use a cardboard cutout, but even that was never satisfactory 

I have no idea how to get that perfect finished look that so many of you have achieved.  In fact, my wife suggested that I hire a carpenter to build the interior of my next bus  Cry but I want to do it myself...

Any ideas would be appreciated...

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Dallas

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:45:52 PM »

OK, all you GM owners out there, I don't mean to hi-jak this very good thread, but I also have a question that may help our newbie.

When you're cutting your walls and cabinets and all that, how do you get all those beautiful curves in your woodwork to fit so perfectly with the ceiling curves?  I always managed to have about an inch gap somewhere in mine.  I tried to use a cardboard cutout, but even that was never satisfactory 

I have no idea how to get that perfect finished look that so many of you have achieved.  In fact, my wife suggested that I hire a carpenter to build the interior of my next bus  Cry but I want to do it myself...

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Jimmy,
The inside radius is pretty easy, once you figure it out.
I asked on a lot of boards how to go about it and no one would tell me.
I got the answer from watching Tommy Silva on "This Old House".
Cut a piece of cardboard to fit at the bottom and roughly close to the wall curve and the ceiling curve. Keep it within an inch or two.
Get a compass or a pair of dividers with a pencil tied on one side.
Now, while someone holds the cardboard steady, put the point of the compass on the ceiling and the pencil on the cardboard.
Keeping the compass at the same angle all the way, follow the wall to the floor.

cut out the cardboard adding the width of the compass at the bottom.

Waa----Laaa you have a perfect pattern.

IHTH

Dallas
maria-n-skip

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 06:52:07 PM »

And then I take From where Dallas states and Make a template from the cardboard onto 3/8 plywood.
  hand file the template for any glaring bad spots
   I lay the final peace on the plywood clamp it together, Cut it close with a jigsaw and then use
  my router with laminent bit.

Not alway as good as the pros but  I can repeat all day long and not worry.

Skip
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 07:01:17 PM »

OK, one more reason to think Dallas is awesome! Roll Eyes

And thanks Maria-n-Skip.  If I could make just one good template, I could definitely just do the cut-outs...

Now I can't wait to try this out!

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: