Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:51:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bus air conditioning compressor repair or remove?  (Read 4610 times)
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »

I only see one seal in the compressor and that is the cranksshaft seal. lots of gaskets though

can I put 134 in like I do oon a car in liquid form?   Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »

If you can get to Texas I will donate the required labor just to see you keep it.
The only bus I have driven that would stay cool without OTR a/c was a Prevost with FIVE (5) roof units.
Please keep it.
Justin

512-695-5849
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »

i just talked to a local "commercial" and residential A/C repairman with a lot more grey hair than i have.  He looked at it, said he could test it by filling with r-22, but would probably leak out in a week from old seals.  rebuild based on another recent repair of similar unit but not from a bus, was $2500+.

i think i'm going to remove it, replace it with an inverter and battery bank, and sweat thru the hot driving days.  TomC, i obviously don't have your insulation.

just not enough cost justification for the repair.  thanks for all the hints and comments.  anyone got a gotcha suggestions on what to do first or not to do first when taking it out??

Sounds like a good choice on how to spend your money.
                            Good luck,  Merle.
luvrbus

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 05:22:55 PM »

I removed my bus air on a Eagle and installed a Red Dot air for the drivers area it has a 33,000 BTU remote condenser with a fan and a 27000 BTU evaporator 3 speed fan with a Denso compressor.I live in AZ where its a 110 plus in July my coach has 3 Cruisair so i run the middle air that has 2 evaporator off my inverter with the dash air while traveling and have no problem keeping cool,the dash air has about the same BTU as 2 roof airs.

just my way
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 06:37:26 PM »

Justin25Taylor, you visiting California anytime soon? I have an MCI 9 and would like to keep the OTR AC system. I have two 05 compressors. The installed compressor has a leak at the seal and the other is supposed to be ready to go? I would like someone knowledgeable to work on the system and get it running well. I have the 30lbs of 134A. 

Want to visit Sacramento, the wine country and Yosemite?

Lets barter!

Grant
Sacramento

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »

what is red dot air and what does it cost and look like?  maybe that's still a better option than no air except the roof units.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 08:13:25 PM »

Hi Tom,

Red Dot is a aftermarket automotive A/C system manufacture.  With lots of sizes and options for evaps and condensers.

Widely used in the Hot Rod industry.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 09:32:55 AM »

Grant,
I will get to California but it will be Oct-Nov ish.

I drive entertainer coaches part time and do bus repair work the other part. "tour" season is on us right now and lasts until about the end of September. After that I finish up the stuff I have going here, then check my own bus out and spend the final part of the year traveling in my coach stopping at all the places I saw earlier in the year but could not stop. Napa Valley is one of those places.

Merle Haggard's MCI died again in Lake Charles, La a month or so ago and due to him being in a bind I agreed to finish his tour in my friends Model 5 eagle. (My 10 does not have bunks) Anyway, he lives in Redding and I cant wait to get over there to see that country.
You have my phone number. If I can get that way I would be more than happy to help you out.
Best,
Justin

I got your PM but it was blank.

grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »

Justin, love you meet you and see what we can do with my compressors. Part time mechanic and traveling driver, that sounds pretty cool.

I will send you a private message again and see if I can get you my phone number.

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 01:25:21 PM »

I took my bus over to a retired wrench who said he has worked on reefers.  he put in some r-22 and then held some sort of sniffer by the clutch/seal area.  it sounded like a geiger counter in a nuke plant.  so we assumed it to have a bad seal.  still have a problem in that i guess it takes a special tool to get it off, but i guess it shuoldn't be that expensive.Huh   Undecided  just for general info, i have an 05g compressor.  Since the auto temp control in driver's area seems to work, the fans all blow ok and i don't see any leaky hoses or bad belts, i'm hoping that's the only issue.

welch's told me the r-22 it says on the side door to use in mine, can easily be replaced with R134 which is cheaper and easier.  no changeover kit required.  someone earlier asked if they could and i guess that's a yes.

so now i'm back to no battery bank cause i don't want to use any other space just yet.  need it for the antenna systems we carry for installations and to rallies.

justin, if i could get to texas, i'd be happy to hold the light and watch it done so i can learn.  if you can get Merle to Ohio, i'll see if i can find an audience for him while you and I fix my a/c.  Wink   you are one lucky dog to be drivin' that kind of talent around.  Obviously, you've got some talent yourself.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: