Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 12:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding a small amount of chlorine to the fresh water tank  (Read 2343 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2007, 05:13:53 AM »

From time to time I have seen posts stating that coach owners would put a couple of drops of chlorine in their fresh water tanks to either clean them or keep the bacteria to a minimum. Sounds good but how do you do it?  I have a fresh water hook up that is a typical rv receptacle that I can screw my water hose on to. That line dumps directly into my fresh water tank. In the outbound line from the fresh water tank to the hot water and sinks, etc. I have another connector to allow the introduction of city water (yes there is a check valve there) this bypasses the fresh water tank and pump and I can use park pressure of which I also have a control valve to correct over pressurization. But now back to the outside RV hook up. I can not pour anything into that fitting (there must be a check valve or something?) But if I attach a water hose I can fill my tank.  How can I introduce a little chlorine to my fresh water tank? We live in the country and I fill with non chlorinated well water.

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 05:44:03 AM »

Dave,

Go to Wal-Mart garden dept. and get a quick connect fitting for garden hose and install then pour amount of bleach into hose and connect and turn on water and presto it's done.

cost about 5.00

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
maria-n-skip

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 05:47:05 AM »

Dave,

I have a similar set-up. I haven't done it yet (not that far along on the build) but what I designed and will build is.
 Our local farm and ranch supply has a in line filter setup that looks like a  see through spin on canister with a removable filter.
 I'll buy one of those remove the filter plumb it to garden hose fittings. Then such things as chlorine, winter treatment
 etc, I'll pour into the canister, put the canister on the base and run water through it from the hose.

Hope this helps

Skip
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 06:04:36 AM »

Those are great ideas. But my wife just threw a wrench into the gears. (She works for the Collier County Health Department) She offered really big concerns about what ANY amount of chlorine would do to components in the water system aboard the bus. Such as: The SureFlo water pump, the polyethylene tanks, water lines and connections. (I have used cpvc throughout the coach so I am really not worried about the piping and connections.)

This is where I could use some engineering input and amount of chlorine to use.

Thanks,

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
maria-n-skip

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 06:11:40 AM »

Sorry I have no scientific info on the interactions. I've never had any problems with my pump
 due to chlorine. (17 years with the same class C)   you could probably set up an experiment
 where you take a piece of cpvc and poly put it in a jar pour straight chlorine in and see
 what happens to the material over a couple of weeks. Not scientific but may answer some
 concerns.

Skip
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 06:33:50 AM »

Hi Dave,

I use a cap full of Bleach to 100 gallons of water. No scientific measures here, just what my dad has told me he always did in his 4104.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Jerry W Campbell

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:17:57 AM »

The instructions that came with my Nature Pure Filter say, If you are worried about Bacteria add 1 teaspoon of bleach per 10 dallons of water.
Good Luck
Jerry
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 07:33:49 AM »

i ran into the same issue when we got rid of the stick and staples box.  the Eagle has no "pipe" to pour bleach into.  there is a hose connect with a valve that goes to the outside filter, then to the water lines and pump, probably like yours does.
it finally hit me that i could just pour a little bleach into the hose before i connect it to the bus.  when i connect the hose, i usually run some water through it first, then i dump some out, pour bleach in, then screw it onto the inlet to the bus.  Works for me.

Glad to see someone post amounts.  i was going by smell of the water to get just a wiff of chlorine.  that caused me to empty the tank once due to overwhelming fumes cause i put too much in. oops.

by the way, our favorite RV store (NOT) is selling an electronic water tester for $14 in their latest email spam.  checks metals and some contaminants, not virus or bacteria. fwiw

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
coolbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 08:52:53 AM »

Hi Dave

This might help:

"Multiply the tank capacity by .013 The result is the ounces of bleach to sanitize the tank. Mix the bleach into a container with potable water, and pour into the tank.

Open all faucets (hot and cold) and run water until bleach is detected.

Close faucets and leave alone for four hours.

Drain tank, refill with potable water, and flush/purge all the plumbing of the bleach."

The above is paraphrased from the Shurflo manual. I know its not exactly what you were asking for, but it does have to do with bleach in your tank!

NOTE this is for sanitizing your tank, after which complete draining & purging is necessary. In the example above, a 100 gal tank would require 1.3 gallons of bleach. Definately something you don't want to drink!

Mark
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 12:46:47 PM »

I add a capful of bleach to my 90 gal tank if it begins to smell stale. This tiny cap is about 1" ID and probably 1/2 " deep at the most. This is so little bleach that no possible harm could come to man nor machine. It always works, leaves a slight aroma of bleach for a day or two but goes away soon.

The amount of bleach suggested for cleaning the tank is a far stronger solution, too strong for the water supply itself.

In your situation-put this amount of bleach into the empty end of your filler hose, connect it to the bus and turn on the water. Job done.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »

If you donn't  have a gravity fill spout then you should have a vent that you can get something into. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 05:22:52 PM »

The simplest system I have found is to just pour the clorine into the hose, attach to the fill connection, and turn it on. We usually drive around or do it just before getting home and drain the tank after it has sloshed around for awhile.

Cary
GMC 4107

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 08:05:22 PM »

Hi Dave

This might help:

"Multiply the tank capacity by .013 The result is the ounces of bleach to sanitize the tank.

NOTE this is for sanitizing your tank, after which complete draining & purging is necessary. In the example above, a 100 gal tank would require 1.3 gallons of bleach. Definately something you don't want to drink!

Actually, if the first statement is correct, it would take 1.3 ounces to treat a 100 gallon tank.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 08:08:35 PM »

Municipal water plants use chlorine. What ratio do they use?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
coolbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »

OOPS  Embarrassed  my bad...

1.3 ounces; NOT 1.3 gallons

Thanks Hi-tek

Mark

never was good at math  Embarrassed
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: