Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:16:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: are jake brakes worth it?  (Read 5750 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 08:42:18 AM »

thanks again. I get the message loud and clear. Any one have used ones for sale or know where I can buy new or used? 6v92ta. thanks  Tomas
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 08:53:38 AM »

jsut to add one more vote, I consider them to be minimum safey equipment.  When I bought my coach it was from the east coast and did not have jakes. I hd soe white knucke incidents going down even some farily gently but long hills here in so cal.  My tranny automatically upshifts when RPM reaches 2300, so unless I was really gonig slow enough, say 25 or 30 down the grapvine, I'd be using a lot of brakes on the descent, and even then it might be iffy if I could kee it slow enough.  39000 lbs on good bearings picks up speed frighteningly quickly.

So thats a hearty yes vote.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 08:58:06 AM »

if anyone has 8v92 jakes to get rid of, now that i read this post, let me know.

i have to go to NC and i'm not lookin forward to some of those WV hills on I77.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »

ok now how much will we poor boys have to lay out for jacob / around here we call them jakes.  ps an 871 dd without blower.   jt.

j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 02:50:33 PM »

If looking for used units, the 71 series and 92 series are the same.  You just have to make sure you get the valve bridges for the 92 also, since they have to be used with the Jakes.  As to 6 cylinders, you can also buy 8 cylinder Jakes and just take one of the slave units off and plug the hole.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 09:46:50 PM »

Hey Chris,

I suddenly find myself in the market for a set of jakes.  If you would be interested in selling yours please send me an e-mail, my add is in my profile.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 06:14:54 AM »

We live in the western mountains of NC.  After bringing our MC5A back from IL without Jakes...the KY and TN mountains made a believer out of me....I bought a used set and had them installed.

If you were to ask me if I would trade them for the money they cost and the dollars invested for the installation my answer would be an emphatic "NO"!

Would I travel our mountains again without them...or even the rolling country of the foothills around here?
Again, NO. 

They might not be quite as effective on a two cycle engine as on a four cycle...that's for the experts to determine...but for me and my wife it has reduced the pucker factor greatly.

Do anything within your power to stack the safety in your favor!

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 06:48:03 AM »

Hi guy!

I have Jake on my 8-71 but he don't work. I have not a manual of maintenance and, if I understood, there is a switch  (electrical) on the dash (off-low-hi) who activate the Jake. Why the Jake don't work? Electrical problem, switch, where I can see the switch on the motor? Do you have a link (internet) that I could see the system and searching the problem...(sorry for my poor english)

GaŽtan

GaŽtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 05:02:38 PM »

http://www.jakebrake.com/products/

try this web site for information.  also maybe the coach info site and i'm sure some others have some hints.

Don't worry about poor English.  You should hear my French.  Haven't had a lesson since 5th grade and that was a long, long time ago.  actually, my English isn't that great either.

hope this helps.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 08:28:01 AM »

Thank you Tom for the link...I looked the document and I saw a french section...

Thank a lot....

GaŽtan

GaŽtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »

ok now how much will we poor boys have to lay out for jacob / around here we call them jakes.  ps an 871 dd without blower.   jt.

Do you you mean without turbo?

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 02:42:26 PM »

DD's won't run without the blower, so you won't need a Jake anyway.
justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 01:08:57 PM »

I agree with everyone else.
I just made a 10,000 mile trip in a 05 Eagle/8v71/4 speed without them. I had to cross the Grapevine twice as well as I-40 from Texas to California, Needles, Bakersfield. I really had to re-think to the old days when we did not have them. I made it ok but Jakes would have made the trip much easier.
Justin
AKThom

When there is no mo sno... Thats when we go!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »

OKAY! thats it!!!  I'm a believer.  Where is the best place to start to gather the parts, or does is come in a kit?  I have to go through the Canadian Rockies next month.  I drove that way last summer and cooked my brakes a couple times.

Thom
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »

Thom, I'm glad you're convinced! I'm also a firm believer in them and wouldn't have a bus w/o them now. Besides what's been said here, I also use mine in "non-hilly" terrain to slow the coach, like when coming into those small towns on a two-lane highway or even coming off an on-ramp. With the automatic, it'll come down through the gears to help decelerate and sometimes I just have to touch the service brakes for the last few feet. My big GMC muffler quiets them to a dull sound that's not too obtrusive.

Here's some "bus-friendly" places to look for the kits:
http://www.hbindustries.us/jake_brakes.htm
http://www.bernhardbus.com/jake.htm (link is currently "dead", but check back soon...  it was a great site for Jakes info and sales)
and I just found this from Google: http://www.gsnet.com/inventory/PartsAccessories/TruckPartsAccessories/default.asp?Page=4&Records=25

HTH,
Brian "blllaaahhhhtttttt blllaaahhhhtttttt" Brown

p.s. that was my best Jake Brake sound

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: