Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 02:32:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low underpass  (Read 2847 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »

Alright, I admit it, I never thught I'd run into a low underpass situation here in the west, much less in San Diego.  My coach is about 13 feet tall with the solar panels, air horns and low profile air conditioners, and even the lateral arm awnings on the top.

I was driving a bunch of my family to the airport after a family renion - seemed natural to take a high passenger capacity vehicle, not to mention eveyone always seems to love riding in the bus. 

Terminal 2 where most of the flights leave from these days, and one that was built in the last 20 years, has a pedestrian overpass that is only 12' 2" high.  I had to back out while the trafic cops stopped traffic.  They were very nice, said it happens all the time.

Very irritating, and I guess I won't drive the bus there again.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:51:42 AM »

Jim,

Always one of my fears having a taller coach!

Glad that you stopped in time......

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:08:49 PM »

I'm worried about the same thing when I get to the Reno Airport at the end of September.  There isn't any place else besides the airport to rent a car that is open reasonable hours.  The rental lot isn't in the airport, but the rental counter is.

Off airport rental places aren't open very often or they charge a lot more than the airport rental places.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »

I'm worried about the same thing when I get to the Reno Airport at the end of September.  There isn't any place else besides the airport to rent a car that is open reasonable hours.  The rental lot isn't in the airport, but the rental counter is.

Off airport rental places aren't open very often or they charge a lot more than the airport rental places.

Brian your bus was under 12' when you bought it! I don't have a clue how tall yer roof air(s) are but I don't think you'll have problem! Beside haven't ya heard of parking nearby (at a hotel or any place for that matter) and using the free airport shuttles?
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:02:29 PM »

[Brian your bus was under 12' when you bought it! I don't have a clue how tall yer roof air(s) are but I don't think you'll have problem! Beside haven't ya heard of parking nearby (at a hotel or any place for that matter) and using the free airport shuttles?
Grin  BK  Grin

I haven't measured, but I would guess I am right around 13 feet now.  13 feet is pretty tall for most airports except for deliveries.

We really want to get a rental car and go without hassles of finding a shuttle to the airport.  As it is we're already spending an extra 2 hours to drive into Reno to pick up a rental car.  Towing a car isn't an option because we have another trailer to tow already. 
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »

Wow-that's pretty weird having that happen in California.  New York or Chicago I'd expect it.  But considering that California has a 14'0" height, someone wasn't thinking.  Glad to see that you were thinking though and didn't end up like a sardine can.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »

Hey Jim, whatever you do, if you're driving up University avenue just north of Park Blvd, GET IN THE LEFT!!!  There's an old (very arched) bridge that I swear is only 8-10 feet high in the edge of the right lane.  I don't even drive a truck on that side! It's arched enough that the left lane is fine for anything.
 Yes, there's a few of them in San Diego... although truthfully I never thought of driving my bus to the airport... I'd be worried that they'd think it was something they didn't want on the property, and be much less than friendly about it !!  You're brave!!
Cheers
Gary

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 06:01:53 PM »

Man, that's scary, Jim.  I was cringing when I clicked on that headline...wasn't sure whether I wanted to know the rest of the story!  Glad you didn't abreviate your bus...
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:55:03 AM »

because someone asked or commented:  when we've needed to rent, we've found Enterprise to be reasonable, cooperative and they pick us up.  last couple times, they've been less than avis or hertz.  the important is that they pick you up.

allow plenty of time, they're slower than molasses in january.

thank goodness you saw the sign and overhang in time, Jim.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:20 AM »

Gary,

Yes I know that bridge, and it is very arched.  I have no interest in driving my bus there on University, but  you never know where I'll end up.  I have a ways to go to be nearly as adventurous as Sean, but I do like to use the bus whenever I can.

The airport has chains dangling down that set off lights and a orn if you touch them with the top of yoru vehicle.  Its embarrassing to confess that without that, I might have tried to go forward closer to the bridge.  My passengers were goading me to go on.  But after this experience, I am more chasened, and I realize more definetly that no matter what, you can always stop, and there is a way to deal with it, and no matter how much pressure you feel to go on, its still better and cheaper to back up or turn around.   Sounds obvious, and like a no brainer, but in the moment, its not as clear.

oh well confession is over.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 11:23:19 AM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »

Jim,

I am about 12' 8"-10".

My future plans are to put one of Petes level systems on and I COULD dump the air out to crawl under something that was really close.

I just can't convince Julie to look out the roof hatch to verify I will make it...LOL

We have been under a few 13' bridges and I just yell "DUCK"

All kidding aside, being able to dump the air would be a great option to have.

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:59:10 AM »

that's a really good idea, beter than letting the air out of your tires. 

The only thing that is stopping me from getting Pete's system is I'd sure like it if he had valves with the permanent magnet at each end of the throw.  That way they would stay open or closed wthough any power requirement.  Kind of like a latching relay. I like his first system without the gauges better.

Jim Stewart

brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »

My passengers were goading me to go on.  But after this experience, I am more chasened, and I realize more definetly that no matter what, you can always stop, and there is a way to deal with it, and no matter how much pressure you feel to go on, its still better and cheaper to bvack up or turn around.   

Ok, I have a little story about that.  I won't bore you with details, but I was hauling my singing group around in my 4107 and we were in the hills of North Alabama.  Went to eat breakfast on a winding little dirt road.  I didn't want to park in the drive way, but the guys were GOADING me with "if you can't make it in there, we need a new driver..."  Well I made it, but I was soaking wet with sweat.

Then as we left, I said, I don't think I can make that turn at the bottom of the driveway...

AW SURE YOU CAN!  YOU CAN MAKE IT, GO FOR IT...

Of course I did, against my better judgement, and it's a good thing our hosts had a heavy duty tractor, or we'd have missed our next date.  I learned a valuable lesson that day.

LISTEN TO YOUR INNER VOICE!  You know you're bus better than anyone else.  I know I will from now on.

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 03:44:15 PM »

Pictures of an H3 on the FDR in Manhatten, where it absolutely did not belong, forbidden, go straight to jail....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 03:49:26 PM by buswarrior » Logged

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 03:45:02 PM »

another

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »

and the front

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 03:49:05 PM »

The bus was empty, the driver was new, first trip to NYC. Not one of the first line carriers out of here....

Ignored/didn't see the 8000 lb limit to go up on the FDR elevated expressway on the east side.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 05:44:39 PM »

Hey Jim ... I got Petes level system in my coach. The levels that level the coach are all closed center neutal. So they have to be energized to add air or remove air and when running down the road they are energized for road height. They work great had them on for 8 months. And I agree I bought the first design he did, with no guages. (WE DON"T NEED NO STINKIN' GUAGES)
Ron

You only get around  4" up & down from road height on the rear ... the front goes way up
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:52:12 PM by prevost82 » Logged
Dallas

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 06:18:36 PM »

The bus was empty, the driver was new, first trip to NYC. Not one of the first line carriers out of here....

Ignored/didn't see the 8000 lb limit to go up on the FDR elevated expressway on the east side.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

That's gonna leave a mark!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 06:31:45 PM »

Dallas wrote:  That's gonna leave a mark!

On the seat I assume!   Grin

Cliff

Mark Twain
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 09:39:27 PM »

FWIW, we've been through Denver, Billings, Palm Beach, and a couple other airports that I can't remember with no problems.

I always check ahead of time, and have even had to call the airport police once (Palm Beach).  Usually there is a way -- at Palm Beach, we used the bus lane where the charter coaches pick up and drop off.

We also carry a Rand McNally "Motor Carrier's Road Atlas," which shows all the STAA truck routes, lists the statutory clearance for each state, and lists every place where the clearance is below statutory on an STAA route.  Very handy to have -- available at most truck stops in paper, laminated, and large-scale versions, updated annually.

We can lower by about 3" by dropping our air bags down to the stops, and have had to do so on at least a couple of occasions.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 09:57:17 PM »

The very first time I took my bus out I drove under a Blue Ridge Parkway arch, and after going through it, got that all too familiar cold sweat one gets when they realized that a bullet was just dogged. If you havenít seen one they can be rather small. I realized that I had no idea how tall I was and I was very happy I didnít learn the hard way. In my early driving days, I stuck a cube van in a tunnel for the same reason. The tunnel had a gradual sloping roof, and I got half way through it before it constricted enough to stop me. Never dawned on me to check my height, I forgot I wasnít in a car.  Thankfully I was able to back out. Other than the scratches on the top surface (which no one would ever see from the ground) you couldnít tell I did it. That parkway bridge made me glad I was only driving a 4106. When I started reading your post I was almost sick thinking you were going to tell us you took the top off. Whew! Allís well that ends well.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 10:18:48 PM »

BW - couldn't you have shown an example that WASN'T an H3 ? - OUCH!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 03:48:01 AM »

One of the nice things about having an RTS.   Grin

(The roof height is 9' 11", excluding anything you put up there.)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »

It's Prevost's fault...

Bus drivers didn't historically have to think too much about "up"

GM's were all down close to 10"

Then they went up to 11' and MCI played at that height too...

Then Prevost started playing like a tractor trailer way up over 12'... well, they don't fit all over the place, hotel canopies, airports, the bus company washrack, into the shop....

Or under the bridges on the FDR...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 08:26:43 AM »

Ya scared me, I thought it said "LOW UNDERPANTS"  ....

hehehehe

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 06:28:46 AM »

Ya scared me, I thought it said "LOW UNDERPANTS"  ....

hehehehe

Paul it's great to see that you've still got your wacky sense of humor! LOL! Keep laffing as it is the best cure!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: