Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 01:59:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini Bike as a camp ground vehicle???  (Read 2936 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2007, 04:27:53 PM »

Hey Folks,
  I had some of my "toys" in a storage facility and they decided to tear it down and build a new one so I have some of my toys home now.
  I have a Bronco Mini Bike and about a 1962 Sears Allstate 50 Compact. (cool little scooter) I was going to fix them up a bit and keep them in the bus to use when I was out and about with my coach, but I got thinkin that there may be places that don't allow motorized bikes.
  What has been your experiences? They seem like they could come in handy to throw in and out, but..............?  Or I may just sell them if it's not too widely accepted.

I hate to sell toys,  Cry
       Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:04:31 PM »

Chaz,

The definitive answer is it depends.

I have seen the rule book vary widely.

Usually your OK if it is tagged in any stae parks, KOA's and the like its usually place to place.

Most that I have seen lately are OK with it and golf carts, but have signs saying licensed drivers only.

To stop those who like to share there childrens driving with everyone else, and I have two kids.

I have an old 1974 Chapperal 50 that I am going to finish rebuilding and its going in the bay.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 06:02:30 AM »

Thanx Cliff. I guess I kinda figured that. But after reading about everything, especially campgrounds, I was thinking that it would more often NOT be accepted in most campgrounds. But maybe it is the other way around. Maybe I'll keep one.  Wink
  I also have my Harley ('46 Knucklehead) that will fit in the basement, but more of a pain in the butt to get out fore a quick run someplace to maybe get something. (on the campground as my mini's aren't licensed)
  I also have a '60's style fiberglass dune buggy that I am going to use for my toad. But it will be in a trailer. But again, maybe not something I want to get out to just run up to the office or another campground or whatever.
  By the way, what's a Chapperal 50? I tried searching that on the internet, but couldn't really find anything I thought it would be. It isn't a go cart, is it??  Roll Eyes
  Thanx again,
       Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 06:40:58 AM »

About ten years ago, I purchased a moped to keep at my parent's beach house in Delaware. It came in handy to avoid some traffic and parking issues on crowded summer weekends.  Several times I have thought about packing it in the bus.  Unfortunately, my 4104's bays aren't tall enough to fit it in upright.  Laying it over on it's side takes up a lot of space, and I would need to be extra careful with the gas.

Since I have been thinking along those lines, I usually pay attention to these restrictions whenever I read campground rules.  I think it will be rare that you will find a campground that permits use of an untagged minibike.  If your Allstate is street legal with valid tags (my moped is), you have a fighting chance.  I often see a rule that says motorcycle/moped use in the campground is limited to entering/exiting the campground. (ie: no joy riding or runs to the camp office/store.) ... and of course the "licensed driver" requirement previously mentioned.

Good Luck.   

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:14:21 AM »

That is kinda along the line I way I was thinking things were. But I was hoping not.

The Allstate could be licensed, and would be REALLY cool to tool around on, but it's a rather unique piece and may take awhile to get to where I can use it.

Oh well.......... I guess there is always walking!

Chaz

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 07:44:10 AM »

Chaz -

I've seen lots of VW-based, Myers Manx-type, Dune Buggies being towed 4-down behind RVs.  They make a great toad, especially if you have one of the winterization kits to keep you snug & dry in a squall.

Wayne -

If your moped was one of the new electric ones, you wouldn't have to worry about fuel spillage in the bay, plus you could recharge it from the big coach alternator thru the inverter as you traveled from site to site.  LOL. . .

OTOH, consider possibly using a motorcycle/bike ramp on the front of the coach to haul it?  Is it small enough to fit between the headlights w/o interfering with their output?

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:11:12 AM »

That is kinda along the line I way I was thinking things were. But I was hoping not.

The Allstate could be licensed, and would be REALLY cool to tool around on, but it's a rather unique piece and may take awhile to get to where I can use it.

Oh well.......... I guess there is always walking!

Chaz

Chaz,

A guy with your skills might do well to rebuild and sell the older gas burners, and then use the profits to  assemble an electric bicycle. The regulars at the Arizona and California drop zones all use them with great sucess. No tags, no fuel, no license. The batteries looked to be about the size of a large motorcycle battery and lasted for a few miles. And, as a bonus, you still have the pedals!

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »

Or why not just a bicycle?  no rules against them, and they are quiet.  all can use them, and they also help with your health when used regularly.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »

what you need is an inexpensive carrier from Harbor Freight-
there in thier flyer for $39 again now

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34313

and a 1.5 to 2 hp PUCH MOPED (get the automatic 2 speed)
street legal and 30 mph  (we have 2 for the the back of our RTS)
they go for $200-$300 - check your local craigs list

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Puch-Moped_W0QQitemZ180142942082QQihZ008QQcategoryZ6722QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 12:37:18 PM »

RTS,
  My Allstate is basically a Puch. But a much cooler old style.  Grin

H3Jim,
  I also ride Mountain Bikes. I have 6K in two of them. (I know, I know..... but I have been riding for 21 years and that is what it has come to  Wink ) I love riding, and do it allot, but sometimes don't want to pedal.

TomCat,
  The electrics are of interest, and I am also into alternative fuel and energy, but I still like the little "putt-putt". The Big VAAROOOOOOOM too! Smiley

Russ,
   I wasn't sure about 4 down with a buggy. (I also have the Manx (clone). I bought a new hard top and side pods and will skirt the sides also.) Since it is possible to tow 4 down, I may do that at some point, but I also want to drag a 20' (or so) trailer with my buggy and some metal working tools for when I "finally" get to hit the road for a couple months at a time, ie. winter!!!
  I get bored easy and love what I do anyway. Plus, since I will have a welder or two with me, I may be able to help someone else along the way.

Thanx for the input guys!
     Chaz

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 06:39:56 PM »

Chaz wrote:  By the way, what's a Chapperal 50?

Its a small dirt bike.

I don't think they made any past the early 80's.

I have been having some fun restoring this one, but I may be needing some unobtainium stuff.  Undecided

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 08:13:52 PM »

H3Jim is right, bicycles are the way to go. We have two Huffy old fashioned whitewall balloon tire, coaster brake, single speed bikes with fenders and comfortable seats. These things are great fun, makes me feel like a kid again.

The handlebars are easily loosened with a hex wrench and turned parallel to the wheel. They then slide right into the baggage bays of our 4104 with no problem.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 07:50:35 AM »

Folding bicycles are great, they take up very little space. They get you around the camp ground and to the store and it feels good to pedal after driving all day.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Dreamscape

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 04:12:28 AM »

We have two beach cruisers that we will be taking. Seems that is the way to go, no gas or charging necessary. Besides they are real quiet and fun. Big  ballon tires and a big soft seat for rearend comfort.  Grin

Paul
gus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 03:44:19 PM »

Amen to balloon tires and soft seats. Our bikes don't fold but I couldn't take those 20" tires on the folding bikes, too small for riding over holes and such.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »

Out here on the Right Coast, most campgrounds don't allow any gas powered toys.  Not even gas powered golf carts...however, I was in one of those "limited" campgrounds recently and it had a good number of gas powered golf carts zipping everwhere.  Most are so quiet that they sound like electric.   I'm waiting for a speed limit in campgrounds...most electric golf carts have been jiggered to run 35 mph or better.  Mine won't.. but a lot of them will. 
Last week I bought an electric Club Car golf cart for the above described reasons. 
Some time back, you saw ATVs, mini-bikes, all sorts of neat modes of transportation.  Now you must have  drivers license and insurance to operate an electric golf cart.  You'll have to verify the insurance in most large campgrounds. 
The major campgrounds at the SC and NC beach won't even allow running tagged and licensed motorcycles inside.  They have special parking areas for scoots.  I'd never leave mine out in an open lot like that, but a good many people do.  You can push it to your campsite...but don't start it.  Ever pushed a big bike in sand?  That ain't gonna happen either. 
My thoughts are don't go to a lot of trouble to carry a gasoline powered toy.  Find an electric power gizmo or a bicycle. 
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
JimG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 06:48:56 PM »

Our experience at the state park here in Ohio is that our electric scooter is no longer allowed with or withour a drivers license. It is a motorized vehicle and cannot be licensed. I have been thinking about taking the scooter apart and mounting the drive system on a bicycle as a "motor assist", hoping that would make it legal.
Jim G. - Ohio 1979 RTS-II 40X96

Jim & Linda Gochnauer Plain City, Ohio
1979 RTS-II 40'X96"
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 06:40:16 AM »

I was afraid of stories like this. Dang. I'm sure it all comes from someone or a very small select few abusing the right. Oh well............. I have Mountain bikes.

Back to pedaling,
     Chaz

anybody in the market for a Bronco minibike or Allstate scooter???   Tongue

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: