Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 08:16:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whistleing window  (Read 903 times)
christopher

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:24:58 PM »

I just installed a penn glass drivers window in my 5c.
when i keep it closed it whistles. the window is brand new.
Any thoughts.
I will call them in the am see what they say.
chris
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:41:12 AM »

Sometimes if you have a vent open it will create a draft.  Unfortunately the Penn windows are not as stout as the original windows.  When I replaced my transit swing open windows with the Penn windows there was a big difference in the weight of the two.  I suppose it would be cost prohibitive to build the Penn windows to the same strength of transit windows-but then again we're not trying for a million mile life expectancy.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:50:21 AM »

As tom says any vent or other window , door etc. not sealed can cause this. Also I sometimes get a whistle from my drivers window in my Setra, but usually I can get rid of it by sliding the window open and slaming it shut! That is all it usually takes! FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:10:26 AM »

or maybe you changed the profile somewhat and the new airflow just natrually whistles.  I doubt it has anything to do with the weight of the window.  Perhaps a small leak, perhaps just the shape of the frame.

While my H3 does not whistle, it does havee more wind noise than I'd like.  I suspect its just a natural consiquence of pushing a brick through the wind at 70.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »

I agree with Jim. There is a lot of wind noise in my 4104 and on occasion there is a whistle when one window is almost, but not quite closed.

I don't think it is possible to get rid of the low frequency wind noise because of the aerodynamics.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:06:58 PM »

Hello.

Opening is not sealing properly. go over the seal carefully to be sure it is not pulled at one end or the other, and confirm proper contact.

A little lube perhaps, to encourage a seal.

And then, before pulling out your hair, use toothpaste as a temporary sealer around the mating surfaces to see if you can get it to seal.

Toothepaste cleans up and goes away like other products won't.

Whistles are the devil's way of sending a driver bonkers!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 08:17:06 PM »

I forgot to mention that when the wind is pretty strong I use my foam ear plugs, same ones I use in airplanes. Works great, the world suddenly becomes serene and peaceful but you can still converse and hear the engine.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: