Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:16:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upstate SC Rally, October 12 to 14th - MAYBE NOT  (Read 3904 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »

I JUST RECEIVED A CALL FROM THE PRESIDENT OF PALMETTO COVE.

IT SEEMS THERE ARE COME CHARTER MEMBERS OF THE PARK THAT STILL DON'T LIKE NON-AIRSTREAMS IN THEIR PARK. IT IS THOSE FEW THAT ARE MAKING A FUSS ABOUT INCOMPLETE COACHES NOT IN KEEPING WITH THE THEME OF THE PARK. THEY ARE HAVING A DOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING & OUR USE OF THE PARK WILL BE ONE OF THE TOPICS DISCUSSED. MORE LATER

I'm waiting to hear back from Palmetto Cove concerning availability & etc. But October 12th  to 14th is looking like our best shot at the moment.

http://palmettocove.com/?download=Cove%20Brochure.pdf

To have more clout in the discussions, I need an idea of how many will be there.

So Please SPEAK UP !

After I get some idea of how many will be there, I can finalize plans & develop a registration form.

Preliminary ideas:
- Pot luck dinners?
- One pot group dinner - beef stew, chicken & dumplings, grilled meat, etc. with pot luck sides?
- Smores, of course!
- Lots of talking B.S. (Bus Stuff, what were you thinking?  Grin )

Any other good ideas?

Let me know,
Thanks,
Kyle
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:51:51 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »

Kyle, count me in.  party of 3.
Gary

Gary
4104GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:40:50 PM »

Kyle put us down for the bus and two people. Sam & Sandy Phillips

Enjoy your ride
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »

Thanks Gary & Sam!  Smiley

I just heard from the Cove. Oct 12 to 14th is OK, but we won't be able to use the dining hall or shelter at night  Cry. The shelter is usually for everyone to share during the day.

Jon Morris has graciously offered to bring a large tent (think circus big top Cool) for us to use if necessary.

We can reserve the buildings for next years rally if we have enough show up.  Grin

This rally is taking place, so I'll be working on a registration form to post here.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:56:13 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:21:15 AM »

The tent is a great idea, thanks Jon for the offer and we will be more comfortable with it.  looks like just the registration, and showing up is the issues we now have.  I will do more on the food prep this time Kyle, I never cooked anything buy ravaoli and beeferoni's 27 years ago when I got divorced but will do my best to contribute more this time.  We all have to probably need to help just a little more so Kyle and family can also enjoy mingling with our group.  Having the ten behind our buses will be cool, we can meander in and out anytime and not bother the other S&S campers lol. 

Your're doing great Kyle, Jack will be proud of you also in two more years as you grow. 

Gary

Gary
4drifter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:53:09 PM »

kyle if i can get the fuel i will be there,aloso  i will bring lila.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »

I'll bring you the fuel in dixie cups if that's what it takes to get you & Lila there  Grin

bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 02:10:35 PM »

Kyle, for that amount of fuel, I think he should pay you with more apple butter.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »

Kyle,Kathy and I should be able to make it,sounds like fun   Mike
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »

Hi Kyle,
Put us down too!  That weekend is "malleable"..I can cancel our previous plans.   Be Friday afternoon before we arrive...T  cannot get out of work.  Anyway, someone's gotta pay for the fuel!  Roll Eyes
I may have overlooked something, but where is the CG?   
You oughta be able to get Bob n Jackie down there...not too far from them? Unless they've fired back to Cliff's place for the winter.

Cheers, JR and Terri

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 05:18:55 PM »

Ummm....found the link to the campground.  Very nice.
I'll check with Anita and John and see if they are available.  They are gonna owe me after the middle of September...time to collect!
See ya'll there!  JR  Cool

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »

Kyle,

OK,  I have scheduled some time off for a lonnnnnnnnng weekend.

Put us down for 4.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.  You know who you are!  Tongue

Cliff, Julie, Kelsey and Patrick

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 06:40:04 PM »

I told you kyle, you'll be in for a good time, you'll see with these guys coming in especially also if Anita & John can come and they play that great music of theirs.  Gonna be a party that weekend!! 
Gary

Gary
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 07:15:02 AM »

Golly Kyle!  With the roster I just read of those wanting to attend you couldn't imagine that Jackie & I could possibly sit here in Franklin for that week end do you?  Please add us in as well.

Since we're able to go early you can count on us for any assistance we're physically capable of doing.

Since I always carry a 2.5 gallon container of diesel I can stop by Leroy & Lila's and top him off.  That might hold him until spring or until the next Table Top rally. He'll have to make it to Arcadia on his own though.....

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 07:53:14 AM »

SEE THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD FOR NEW INFO ADDED IN RED ON 7-28-07

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »

SORRY GUYS Cry

Looks like I'm not having a good week.

I've been getting conflicting information & now the big ugly  Cry

A little history of the park as I know it:
Palmetto cove was built by the airstream club years ago & was for exclusive use by airstreams only. Occasionally, but rarely, they would have a 'buddy rally' where airstream owners could invite non-owners in to the park to hopefully get them to buy an airstream & become a member. Several years ago, they relaxed that rule to allow rallys of other groups of campers & recently opened it up to others. BUT some of the charter members have been fighting that at every turn. Naturally they jumped in with tons of bias & mis-information about 'old' buses. The fact we had one there that wasn't fully self contained only gives them more ammo. NEVER MIND the fact that we ALL behaved. The hosts up there that weekend spoke highly of us & said we dispelled many misconceptions he'd had. There was one camper up there that never once spoke to us BUT is making lots of smoke.

I've got to go now, But I'll add more later.

THANKS, Kyle

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 08:37:21 AM »

Kyle,

First, Don't sweat it....It WILL work out one way or another.

When I was working overseas, I worked on a British island of about 300 residents.

There were about 10-15 social clubs on the island.

Didn't really make sense with the amount of residents and most could seat 200 easily.

It was really about keeping someone out for one reason or another.  Seems to be in some people's nature.

There's ALWAYS one pain in the A$$ no matter where you go or what you do, don't let'em get you down.   Tongue

And remember, if you don't see WHO the pain is, it might be YOU!  Grin

Cliff

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 08:41:28 AM by FloridaCliff » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »

Thanks Cliff,
There is nothing to proffit from stooping to the judgemental level of others.

If 'THE BOARD' doesn't want us there, we will just find another spot & it will be their loss.

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »

Exclusive Airstream parks have been around for awhile. They are a tight group that takes pride in their hobby, and their “Airstreams only” parks are part of that. I don’t fault them too much for trying to keep to their roots if that is what they want.

Now, on the other hand, it has been my experience that busnuts are an inclusive, easy going, friendly to anyone bunch, always willing to share their enthusiasm about their hobby, regardless of their status, color, creed, age, etc. That is one of the reasons I like being a Busnut. Ours is not a “hook and run” hobby, because of the complexity of owning a bus, you have to have good people willing to give support in order to make what we do possible. We don’t need an Airstream park to have a good time, we are busnuts, and we can have a good time anywhere, even broke down on the side of the road! It’s just part of who we are. If you don’t get in that park don’t sweat it. There are plenty others out there that will work. It might be fun to have one at different places on a rotating basis anyway. I would love to do one here in the Blue Ridge Mountains one day.

I wish I could put my name on the “be there” list but my wife and I are in that phase in life where the children are still consuming lots of time and resources. I wouldn’t have it any other way, I know these are the “best of times”, and I am so glad I have a hobby that I can use to make memories with them. I only wish I was making them by a factor of 10x.

Will be looking for updates, and if I don’t make it, photos.

Laryn
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:56:45 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 02:48:56 PM »

Barn Owl,
This problem we probably have with the park could not have been said any better by anyone than what you did and I too am proud to be a busnut and maybe one day these Airstrem enthusiast will need and appreciate a busnut who may stops to help them in a time of need.  Things happen for a reason, there has to probably be one here now or soon!!
Gary

Gary
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 04:12:01 PM »

Thanks guys,
It makes this disapointment lots easier to take knowing that the responses are so positive. I was so afraid of hearing the negative. Good to see that was a baseless fear.  Cool

This park has some GREAT people on the board & in their membership. They also have some loudmouths that cause more trouble than anyone deserves. I respect their rules & wishes. I can only hope they see past the petty little minded judgemental people & give us a real chance.

Now that I have an Airstream myself, I'll be trying to join the park. Then I can get a better understanding of their needs & work something out.

Summer is slow for the park & October is the busiest month for them. Maybe the thing to do is to reserve the park during off times & show them we have big rallys - If we had a couple of 100+ bus rallys, they would take notice for sure!

By the way, the host that were there for the little rally we had said we were the best ever at taking care of the facilities & cleaning up after ourselves. So we may get a NO for October, but they may offer another weekend & we can show them once again that busnuts include the finest people in the world!

I'm so thankfull to count y'all as my friends!  Grin

Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 04:17:01 PM »

Rest Easy Kyle, something made this happen and with your determination and fortitude the big rally will still happen soon.  Worry about taking care of your 4 baby cruisers now.  Wish we could help there, if we can put up a fence to make the town happy consider it, maybe 10 ft. boards and not 8. 
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Gary

Gary
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »

I have an idea concerning the orphanage, the law says '. . . more than one that hasn't run . . ', so I move one 100 feet(to my second piece of land) & one 500 feet (to my aunt's land) & put a starter on one. Then, I will have one each on 2 lots & 2 on one lot(one of those 2 will run).
Result = no fencing required Smiley

I'm going to suggest this as a solution & point out that meets the letter of the law (but, they will be more visable), where as leaving them as-is meets the intent of the law (keeps them out of sight). Maybe I'll get lucky & they will issue a variance.

Maybe not & I'll have to move them to another location - that'll be an expensive bummer  Sad

But on another note, I've just had the land appraised (long story about another project), & the appraisal is such that the other project is now cancelled. Seems property in that area has appreciated rapidly in the last 10 years & the value is more than I had imagined. Since the county laws prevent me from using it as I want, we may sell it & buy land that we can use. Nice to have the choice.

Yes, things do happen for a reason.

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 06:43:44 PM »

Hi Kyle,

We have an Airstream park here in Cape May County and I service many of patrons there.

If it's any consolation, they don't know squat... about anything mechanical on their tin cans. So you can set your mind at ease

and stand taller then they.. that you and I carry a wealth more knowledge then all Airstreamers will ever have combined! HA!

We won't benefit anything by being there in their presants.. Maybe we should start Bus Resorts and be snobs too. Not!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »

We won't benefit anything by being there in their presants..

As true as that may be, they sure do have an awesome rally park!   Grin   Grin  Grin  Grin

And watch what you say about Airstreamers not knowing squat. . . I resemble that remark  Wink Grin Shocked

From what I understand, we probably can't have a rally there in October, BUT, we can show up & ask for a site for the weekend. So far, they have not turned anyone down (as long as they were fully self contained). So If someone has made plans to go there, by all means, KEEP 'EM.
I'll be there since an Airstream rally is that weekend. I already feel superior to the prevo crowd  Grin

ROTFLMAO

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 09:37:55 PM »

Hi Kyle, how bout I check some of the campgrounds in the upstate area and see what we can work out for that weekend?  If so I'll need a SWAG count to give them. 
By the way, count me and my brand new Bride, Dianne in. We will be in an inferior Flagstaff travel trailer.  May have cost half what the Airstream costs...however...it means I can by more fuel to tow it around the country! lol

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 06:33:10 AM »

I'm going to be at The Cove that weekend so I can work with the system.

I've been told 'drop-ins' welcome. The drop-ins can't use the facilities & putting up a tent won't be allowed. Drop-ins may not get to park together, etc.

But it sure is fun meeting like minded straingers when camping!  Wink

NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 07:00:02 AM »

Let's face it folks....it's THEIR sandbox and we were allowed to play in it once and that was a joy. THEY are the ones who pay the bills and THEY are the ones who cut the grass and keep it so immaculate.

Airstreamer's are RV'ers, just as we are, and should have our respect and admiration no matter which way the wind blows.

We're a resourceful bunch...should it be that we can't have another get together at the Cove we'll find somewhere nearby and have a great time. It's our nature to be cheerful so PLEASE soft pedal any comments on the turn of events.

Bob

belfert

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »

I don't understand why Palmetto Cove wouldn't let you hold another event there.  Their website specifically says they allow all types and makes of RVs.  They are no longer exclusive to Airstream.  The website also encourages group events.

I really wish there were enough busnuts in the upper Midwest to hold a rally around here.  You East coasters are lucky that you can often drive 5 or 6 hours and be at a rally.

Well, there is a an FMCA chapter that holds bus rallies around here, but they are more a social event than anything else.  I would like to go to rallies and talk about and look at buses, not just get together with a group of people and not talk about the thing we all have in common.  There are dozens of RV rallies if I wanted to socialize while using my RV.  (No, I don't need to talk about buses exclusively for two or three days straight at a rally, but a one hour roundtable is not enough for me.)

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »

Belfert, the issue isn't being allowed in as much as it is the date. All campgrounds in the area are booked for October due to the leaf colors. The cove has plenty of overflow parking (so no problem if you can boondock & weren't expecting full hookups as a result of a reservation). Also if they approve a rally, they want to be sure the rally participants have adequate hookups & access to the facilities.

To be fair, they don't know what to expect from us busnuts. All they see is some old RV's. Their experience with old units may conjure images of broken down vagabonds & lawlessness.

We do have glowing praises from the hosts telling we left things cleaner & better than we found them & that we ALL were the most polite & nicest campers.

My gut feeling is that worst case is that we will have to prove ourselves to them & show by our actions that the naysayers wrong, which is something I'd love to do!

We'll let 'the board' make their decision.

As a rule, most camping rallies are getting smaller & smaller. when we show them the strength of our character & numbers, we will be welcomed - as long as we don't violate their rules of being fully self contained & are respectfull of cosmetics.

Things happen, it is our character that defines our response.

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2007, 01:42:26 PM »

Kyle, looking at the camping guidebook, there seems to be a good many campgrounds scattered about I-85 and I-26 that are not in the mountains..or at the edge of them as is Palmettor CG.  The flatland CGs won't be full for leaf season.  Maybe something is available in another CG?  Wouldn't matter to me at all.   
Most campgrounds will have issues with parking everyone together...and while that would be nice, the lack of such parking arrangements wouldn't be a show stopper for Terri and me. 
Another problem with upscale campgrounds is the dreaded term "bus"...they envision brightly painted hippie skoolies full of rude druggies. 
Good luck with making arrangements!  Found out that T will be off for 11th and 12th of October.  Cool!
Gimmie some good news!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 02:05:12 PM »

Kyle, looking at your last post I am reminded of a quote I read once that said'
(Your character is what you are...when you are alone!"

Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 04:21:26 PM »

Kyle,
No matter where the bus gathering will be held I am still in for the weekend of OCT -12-14th.  Let us know what for sure, no tent, so what!!!  we can make about 4-6 spaces between a couple of buses only if possible and if the park area where we will park is not too packed for us all to gather if we want, maybe big enough to also cook there between buses and stay private without infringing on the Airstream Rally.  It will be worth what ever we have to do to have the "Kyle SC Fall Gathering" at Palmetto Cove as you will see if you attend.  Kyle, You have time to try to figure out what we can do, we will not need much power as it should be cooler then also.  If your rig is not needing full power then perhaps those that are can get the power hook ups. 

I can dump my poop out here at Greenville Waste Treatment farm, have a tank of water in my S&S for shower etc., a portable 12v battery and small inverter for a outside light if I need it to save the batteries, my refer is ok on Gas, I don't see a problem!!

Again I cannot stress the  beauty you will see at this park for what ever it takes to go there at any time.  Again, if you want it there in October 11-12th, there will be 2 adults, 1 grandaughter, 2 great little female puppies in our S&S, hope to see you all still there.

Lets do it!!  let us know if you will show.

Gary

Gary
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 08:43:48 PM »

Hey Y'all!

I think we should meet there at the cove that weekend without rally status. We all know how to camp independently, right? We all know how to cook for ourselves, right? Most, if not all can handle a few nights without hookups, right? If we get together under our awnings for a pot luck, COOL! (We should avoid any tents as it may add to their apprehension, once they know us, I'm sure things will improve!)

The worst would be that all of the available spaces are used & some may have to park in the 'overflow area' without hookups. Since there are 2 other rallies happening that weekend (Mom says that last year, they didn't even fill half the park for the 2 rallies - so available spaces shouldn't be a problem anyway), we won't be able to use the dining hall at all & the shelter at night. The shelter is usually common during the day. We will probably be grouped together since the other rallies will be grouped also.

This will be a good time to show what true busnuts really are:
The best of the best!

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 08:51:45 PM »

If they saw me pull in with my bus and how it is shedding its paint I bet it would make for some unhappy Airstreamers Angry. I might easily dash any future rallies there single-handedly Cry.  I think Airstream was smart not to paint their trailers.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 05:39:07 AM »

If, for some strange reason, the campground shouldn't have enough space for those of us who show up.....
we might consider dropping by Leroy's place.  Think of all the fuel is would save him. Cheesy

Hehehehe...now I didn't really want to start anything....much.....

NCbob

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 09:02:21 AM »

You might want to make sure your rig can go off road, the mile long drive can challenge a highway bus.  Shocked

But the scenery is awesome!  Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: