Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:35:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI Bus Info  (Read 4336 times)
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« on: July 26, 2007, 08:17:30 PM »

Hello everyone,

Is there a web site I can look for the history of my new ride?

MCI MC8 serial number 1441  has TMC on the data plate, which I think means it was built in New Mexico. 

Appreciate any help,

Thanks,

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:41:30 PM »

Hi Frank,

Here is a link to the MC9's specs. but, you can click on the 8's at the left of the page.

http://www.mcicoach.com/PreOwnedCoaches/preownedMC9.htm

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 06:59:08 AM »

Slow Rider: 1441 is not a complete MCI serial number. It could be a company fleet number, or a "Unit Number" which forms part of the serial number. Try this web site for MC-8 delivery info.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/builders/mci8.html
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:05:50 AM »

Here is your MC-8 1st owner.
 T35-376-1441  Greyhound Lines-East (IL)                5427   1976  Grin
jlv
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:54:36 PM »

Slow Rider: 1441 is not a complete MCI serial number. It could be a company fleet number, or a "Unit Number" which forms part of the serial number. Try this web site for MC-8 delivery info.

http://http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/builders/mci8.html

Stan He can't help that you an Bus Warrior and probably some others say it ain't the complete #! But it is what TMC put on the VIN plate over the driver seat, also on the bulkhead behind the blower fans, also stamped into at least 2 other places on the bus I have located over the yrs servicing this BUS! I didn't think it was correct either, but ya know what? The parts folks at MCI asked me for the serial # once and when I gave it to him "he told me there was no way" either, but when he called back he told me "he was sorry that he didn't realize there were some units that left the production line with a 4 didgit serial # and that his supervisor had corrected him and found it somewhere" and got us the right part! Now whether or not he was just BSMA or what, they did send the right part the first time! (which is rare for MCI in the first place!) So he's giv'n ya what he's got!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »

Yup, we are all learning something new!!

TMC buses aren't numbered like MCI buses, even though the darned things look the same and have the same name!

just when we thought we had this thing figured out....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 05:31:17 PM »

Now that we have the serial number sorted out, do we know who the original owner was. Is roadrunnertex's info correct with what looks like a more reasonable serial number?

MCI used to have the delivery info on all their buses going back to the 1930s (at the Winnipeg factory, not the downtown office) but they  may have all been lost in the multiple company sales that took place.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »

Roadrunnertex information on the TMC MC-8 is 100% correct! Grin

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 07:38:47 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the information.  JVickers also contacted me offboard with similar help.  So now I know it was an original Hound and I bought it from a church.  Will have to play detective and see if I can find out any more info. 

Once again , thanks,

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Dallas

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 03:13:58 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the information.  JVickers also contacted me offboard with similar help.  So now I know it was an original Hound and I bought it from a church.  Will have to play detective and see if I can find out any more info. 

Once again , thanks,

Frank

Hmmmm,
With first Greyhound for maintenance, then on through a charter or two and then leaving the maintenance in the hands of a "Higher Power"... Frank, you only have one way to go and that's up!

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 04:24:27 PM »

Hmmm, trying to figure this out.  Got anything on TMC #1088?
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 04:56:28 PM »

TMC coaches were built in Roswell N.M. The building where the TMC Coaches were built was the jumbo airplane hanger that was built when it was a SAC base (Walker AFB NM) The base was closed in the late 1960's (1967) if my memory serves me right.
Most of the early production coaches went to Greyhound and it's other companies like New Mexico Transportation CO.-TNM&O, Kerrville Bus Company and other bus companies that Greyhound had their hand in.
Some of the easy ways to tell if your MCI coach was a ex-hound!
is
A.To start the bus you have to turn the chime and step light switch on to get it to start.
B.AUX fuel tank in the front baggage bin.
C.In station lighting.
D.The 6"X6" door on the drivers side down and aft of the drivers side window for in station A/C.
Also if it has a lavatory open the trash can container removal door look on the side wall of that compartment and you will find a small health certificate stating the first owner of the coach.Note you will need a flashlight. Grin

ol713

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »

http://http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/builders/mci8.html

Can I stumble around this site for info for MC-7's?  I believe mine was
   delivered to the Louisana Texas area.
                          Thanks,  Merle.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »

And, don't jump to conclusions, because other fleets duplicated the Greyhound specs, if they interlined or shared facilites, for instance the in-station lighting and the in station HVAC.

Gray Coach Lines in Toronto did both, as they interlined with GLI Toronto-Buffalo-New York City.

The in-station HVAC may see a rennaissance as anti-idling laws get stiffer, a fuel and air saving concept that was ahead of its time?

You can still see where the HVAC units were hung from the roof in the Buffalo Terminal.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 07:17:28 AM »

T24-210-1088  Greyhound Lines-West (CA)    7594   1975   To ?

Pretty well all 1975-1976 TMC-8s were Greyhounds.Beyond that, most of them
were until 1980 when TMC started taking over private orders from MCI to
meet demand. Grin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: