Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:14:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fact or Rumor....are we gonna need CDL's?  (Read 3150 times)
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 10:16:38 AM »

This CDL question comes up about ever 6 months for us folks with a bus conversion. Huh
In the State of Texas where I live the Texas Drivers Handbook states and I quote from it.
Exemptions:Persons operating the following vehicles are exempt from a Commercial Driver License (CDL):
Exemptions:A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use:
A person with a Texas Class C driver license can drive a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds,towing a trailer not to exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds.
If the vehicle is above 26,001 pounds or more a Class B or A. license is required.
jlv Grin
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 01:25:54 PM »

PA a motorhome with no restriction on weight or combination can be operated with a class C provinding it is for private non profit use.

Stupid but true.  this is the case in most states "a CDL is not required" thanks to the motorhome lobby and the AARP I am sure. 

think about the number of Older types out there that could not pass a DOT physical...thats alot of lost sales if they can't drive/

Here is one.  to get a passenger endorsement on your CDL or your CDL alone you can take the road test in an 15 passenger van

I persoannly think the feds ought to impose a type rating type of thing like with pilots.

can be done by type/GVW

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 02:32:07 PM »

I am totally against ANY more regulations!!  Angry Angry Angry

What I am for is forced responsibility for actions, meaning, if I operate my motor home/bus/ 18 wheeler/ pickup/ car/ dog/ cat/ rattlesnake/ or anything else so as to cause ANY injury to another person or property, I am IMMEDIATELY held accountable for it with REAL penalties.

Example: Monday I am driving my bus in the rain. I loose control & run over an auto, pinning the driver. He has both legs amputated but is expected to recover. The trial is no later than Thursday. It is determined that I was driving 60MPH in a 55 which was not only over the speed limit but too fast for conditions. I protest that I did not know it was to fast.  Friday they carry me to the scene of the collision, cut off both my legs, & dump me in the road. Passersby may call 911 and request an ambulance if they so desire. 

Also, any occurrence that resulted in death for any reason would carry the death penalty to be carried out publicly within 7 days. Persons who drive drunk/drugged/impaired AND are involved in a collision would be tortured to death within 7 days. Persons who do not report said drunk/drugged/impaired drivers would also be executed.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Dallas

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 02:45:55 PM »

What I am for is forced responsibility for actions, meaning, if I operate my motor home/bus/ 18 wheeler/ pickup/ car/ dog/ cat/ rattlesnake/ or anything else so as to cause ANY injury to another person or property, I am IMMEDIATELY held accountable for it with REAL penalties.

Example: Monday I am driving my bus in the rain. I loose control & run over an auto, pinning the driver. He has both legs amputated but is expected to recover. The trial is no later than Thursday. It is determined that I was driving 60MPH in a 55 which was not only over the speed limit but too fast for conditions. I protest that I did not know it was to fast.  Friday they carry me to the scene of the collision, cut off both my legs, & dump me in the road. Passersby may call 911 and request an ambulance if they so desire. 

Also, any occurrence that resulted in death for any reason would carry the death penalty to be carried out publicly within 7 days. Persons who drive drunk/drugged/impaired AND are involved in a collision would be tortured to death within 7 days. Persons who do not report said drunk/drugged/impaired drivers would also be executed.

Tom....
Reminiscent of Robert Heinlein's views. I totally agree with one caveat, a person could be relieved of the penalties if the victim or the victims family so requested. As a bonus, the victim or the surviving family could request and obtain the property of the offender as compensation for the act.

Heinlein called it, "Equalizing", I believe.

Another of his views was that anyone who wished to become an important politician should be immediately disqualified. Only one term allowed for any public official and everyone had to hold one public office during their adult years just as everyone in Israel must perform military service.

A great man, well ahead of his time, too soon gone.

Dallas
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 02:46:15 PM »

The trouble is...

we don't see far enough down the road.

There WILL be a judgement day for all who choose to not take responsibility.

And I might suggest we don't need to worry whether the punishment will fit the crime.
That's not our job.

He will make sure it does.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
JerryH_Again

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »

It was posts like this (and others) that made me wonder why I visited this board ... so I bailed out.
I pop back in just to see if more coherent posts were taking place ... guess not.

First ... Based on your "example" ... I submit the DMV of your state should pull your license immediately ... both oars aren't in the water.

Second ... Your comment, "Also, any occurrence that resulted in death for any reason would carry the death penalty to be carried out publicly within 7 days. Persons who drive drunk/drugged/impaired AND are involved in a collision would be tortured to death within 7 days. Persons who do not report said drunk/drugged/impaired drivers would also be executed."  What ARE you smoking???  I believe in accountability sure ... but you've kind of taken accountability a bit far.  If your life has been personally touched by a drunk driver ... I am sorry for that.  However, you state "any occurance" ... so if I understand this ... I am driving the speed limit, obeying all rules and laws of the road.  I hit some black ice and (God forbid) kill someone.  "Put me to death within 7-days?"

The CDL question has been discussed and discussed again and again.  Too bad reoccuring topics can't be continued under a specific heading.  That way, someone new to the board could visit the already posted thread for CDL requirements.  Or any other revisited topic.

But to go down the road of suggesting a mandatory death penalty to anyone in an accident that might take the life of another person through no fault of their own is just plain stupid.  

I vote we take away your license ... but your bus on blocks, cut off the top, fill it with dirt, and make it into a giant planter!!

Jerry H.

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 02:54:19 PM »

OMS, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!  LOL  While I might not be as rigid at Tom, I too believe we need less gov  intrusion in our lives, not more!  I do believe in stiffer penalties for errors you make.  The "I didn't know"  excuse would only be one step above pleading guilty.  This country ran very well for many years with little government, we should return to that philosophy.

Frank  

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 03:57:24 PM »

Florida staute 322.53 says...the follwing persons are exempt from the requirement to posses a CDL...(d) drivers of Recreational Vehicles. Defined in 320.01...section 5 that says "private motor coach" which is built on a self-propelled bus type chassis which does not exceed  length width and heights listed in section 316.515....which says under section 15.....no motor home may exceed 45 feet exclusive of bumpers or saftey equipment. That is where we stand in Florida as of right now! That is what the Statute book says.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 06:15:21 PM »

GH, that sort of puts the cap back in the bottle as far as exactly what the FL statues say....and it appears that my friends' neighbor was pushing his luck and the envelope as well.

My understanding is that the only reason the female Trooper didn't take him in on the spot was because he had his teen aged son with him and that would have created an additional problem.

Thank you all or your input...it looks like the answers are in and believe me...I won't sit in judgement in connection with them but this certainly is a topic which causes the adrenaline to run for most of us.

I, for one, will stop by our local State Troopers office and ask for the study guide for the CDL License.  My state may not require me to have one but knowing a bit more about what's required of the guys we share the road with won't hurt me one bit.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 06:41:01 PM »

NCBob: I think there will remain some states with few restrictions on driving RVs as long as there is a substantial population of folks who want to drive them. The political fallout would be to great a risk verses the possible political reward.

Dallas: I could certainly agree with Mr. Heinlein. That situation would be better than what we have now.

Frank: I really should "hold back" more.... my views are usually at odds with the PC  crowd. It is nice to know there are some who have views somewhat close to mine.

Jerry H: It is amazing to me that you have impugned my intelligence and sanity for offering my opinion on regulations while, at the same time, advocating a far harsher penalty for my alleged insanity and stupidity, neither of which are crimes. Were your allegations true, I can agree with the state taking my license; in fact, were they true, I should have not been issued a license. If we take as examples those who drive while reading, eating, drinking, putting on makeup, using the computer and changing clothes, we can conclude stupidity is not grounds for license revocation. We can also conclude insanity is not a legal cause  for license revocation by the number of folks who have licenses, commit crimes, are judged insane by our courts, and STILL have their licenses.
          I believe the second part of your sentence is overly harsh because, assuming you revoke my license,  the bus could be sold to pay for my upkeep or merely disabled. I could then live in it which would keep me from drooling on those of you who are of superior intellect and well adjusted.
          In your example "I am driving the speed limit, obeying all rules and laws of the road.  I hit some black ice and (God forbid) kill someone", I take for granted that you are driving somewhere with absolutely no reason to suspect that black ice either could or would have formed, AND if it had formed, weather conditions had been such so as to completely dissipate said ice to a scientific certainty. The only other conclusion would be that you had calculated the CHANCES of black ice being present and decided to bet the safety of yourself, your passengers, and others on that road, against your loss of time, that no ice was there. If the latter is true, you lost and you are responsible.

Now, I apologize if this side debate has hijacked NCBobs thread. I would suggest taking this to the OT board but you will not change my mind (I'm insane, remember?) and it's not worth my time to change yours. Just remember loonies like me hold people accountable for what they do.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »

OMS, as far as I'm concerned my thread wasn't hijacked by anyone.  The whole purpose of the Board is for the exchange of ideas and, at times, opinions.

I, as an individual, may not agree with those ideas and thoughts offered and like you...totally defy Political Correctness as a matter of course.

If we all agreed on any one topic I'd be worried more than I already am for not only the future of our hobby but for the country as well.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: