Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 02:28:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V730 Transmission Lines  (Read 834 times)
chris4905

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »

I have the 6V92 install in the bus.

Now putting in the V730.

Questions:

1)  There is an fluid line from the transmission pan, to the back of the engine by the flywheel housing.  Per the Allison manual this is called the "Scavenge" line.  What does this line do?  And is there another line needing to be connected somewhere to complete the cycle of fluid flow?

2)  One of the water lines from the oil cooler (the top line) goes all the way from the cooler to the front of the engine and hooks into the water pump housing fitting, got that one covered (I believe that is the water supply to the cooler).  The 2nd line (which I believe is the return line) goes from the bottom of the cooler to.............Huh  Where does this fitting hook into the engine?

Thanks in advance

Chris
1974 GMC 4905 w/ 8v71 6V92TA & Spicer 4 speed Allison V730 w/air shifter

Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 05:15:28 PM »

On the V730 the flywheel housing is wet.  The trans fluid bleeds into the flywheel housing, so that hose is just the drain back to the pan for that.  This is why when you replace the starter you have to get a sealed starter with gasket.
Can't help you with the water line-can be different on different buses.  Just have to follow it and find out.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
chris4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:51:18 PM »

Thanks for your response and help.  You ALWAYS post a good answer you have been a very valuable source of info during my engine change and transmission conversion. 

I now understand about the scavenge line.  It was really bothering me that I had only one hose, and thought there had to be another to complete the "cycle".  Not so, now I understand.

I also found the supply point for the water to the transmission cooler.  There is a plate on the left side of the engine, near the front of the block.  It is square, about 4" on each side, and held to the block by 4 bolts, one at each corner.  This cover seals a water jacket access.  I would imagine you could also put an engine pre-heater in this spot.  There is a cover which can be ordered that has a threaded hole in the middle for a fitting, so..................this is where the hose is connected for the cooler supply line.

Thanks again Tom,
Chris

Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: